Soy Wax Use in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cpop=Cold Process/Oven Process. Turn on the oven and let it heat to 170*F. After pouring soap into the mold, pop it into the heated oven and turn off the oven. Let soap set for several hours in the oven. This forces the soap to go through an extended gel phase. I usually leave my soap in the oven overnight to be sure it goes through full gel.
Thank you for such good description..I am going to try it tonight.
I am making a kg of olive, mango butter and beeswax soap. I use hp because I prefer the authenticity of the rustic look ..cpop sounds like the between of cp and hp .
Very exciting!
Voula

Eurosoy800 is an alternative

Poth Hille states that Eurosoy800 is made from gmo-free 100% european soy
Soy Wax | Poth Hille

Livemoor shows Eurosoy800 in stock
Eurosoy 800 - Top Quality European Soy Wax
I use Eurosoy 800 for candles and soap . The wax is licensed for skin care use .
I have experiment up to 40 percent so far and I find that makes a long lasting soap itself ( no additional hard fats like palm ) it supports lather and all that stearic acid contribute s a dense fluffy long lasting bubbles in companation with other lather forming ingredients in soap.
It's also neutral in terms of skin feel and that allows for the chosen star oil of a recipe to shine 💫.
( For me that have chosen to soap without animal fats, palm and coconut ) soy wax is the backbone of my soaps and I am delighted with the outcomes ,😊

Does anyone in the States use the GW415 Hydrogenated soy flakes or something like it? Sounds interesting. I have to admit everything sounds interesting to me about now! Did get my mold made today, I don't think I have enough mica's to do my four colors though! I am so dumb, I forgot that I need to color my soaps, have a few clays, and a few liquid colors, and a few micas. In the old days we didn't do all the fancy swirls and stuff you guys do now, anyhow I don't remember seeing much of it. Was there??

Does anyone in the States use the GW415 Hydrogenated soy flakes or something like it? Sounds interesting. I have to admit everything sounds interesting to me about now! Did get my mold made today, I don't think I have enough mica's to do my four colors though! I am so dumb, I forgot that I need to color my soaps, have a few clays, and a few liquid colors, and a few micas. In the old days we didn't do all the fancy swirls and stuff you guys do now, anyhow I don't remember seeing much of it. Was there??
GW415 is available for use in the States and around my region (Aussie/NZ)
Eurosoy800 is available in England/Europe

While I am not from the States, there are links to soapers experience using GW415 here

While going through files, I found this helpful information about using soy wax in hard bars so I'm posting it here. I believe "Bunny" was an SMF member at one time and a few members may remember her fondly as I do. She was one of my mentors when I first started making soap. I will always be grateful to her for sharing her wisdom and sage advice.

SOY WAX
Bunny
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:17 AM

You can make great soap with it. No, you don't use it in place of beeswax in soap... beeswax and soy wax have different qualities. Here's what I have found about soy wax in soap (from my own experience):

1. Soy wax greatly reduces shrinkage/warping in soap bars.

2. Soy wax does not add lather, so you should not use more than say 50% of it in your soap. The more soy wax you use, the more of a good lathering oil you need to use in addition to it.

3. It adds density and creaminess to the lather, which is a plus in soaps that are heavy on the coconut or PKO oil.

4. It makes a great co-partner with olive oil. They complement each other well in the recipes. Use 25% or more olive and 25% soy wax. Add some coconut or PKO as well, and about 10% castor.. you'll get a killer soap.

5. It is non-drying in soap, and non-irritating.

6. It takes color EXTREMELY well, and helps anchor scent extremely well.

7. It can be "plugged in" to the regular "soybean oil" slot in the lye calculators as it has the exact same SAP value as soybean oil.

HAPPY SOAPING! :dance:
Thank you for this! I have been soaping for years, and decided it is time for me to exit my comfort zone and make shaving soap, as it is not widely available in the handcrafting market where I am in PA

C'mon. This conversion is actually very simple:
29deg.jpg

On a side note, I learned that Category:Measurements in degrees Celsius by value - Wikimedia Commons is a thing in Wikipedia's image archive.

This conversion is actually very simple:
OR...
If you don't have a thermometer handy, or have trouble accurately reading between the lines (bad vision here :() you can google it, like this:

29°C = ? degrees F ( Answer: 84.2°F)

Google does all kinds of similar conversions using that basic form. :thumbs:
Try it. You'll like it. Especially if you're a lazy Daisy like me. 😁

OR...
If you don't have a thermometer handy, or have trouble accurately reading between the lines (bad vision here :() you can google it, like this:

29°C = ? degrees F ( Answer: 84.2°F)

Google does all kinds of similar conversions using that basic form. :thumbs:
Try it. You'll like it. Especially if you're a lazy Daisy like me. 😁
Oh I know - I just mean I have no intuitive sense of the difference. I even used to be a chemistry teacher. I do know that -37 = -37, or as they say in New Hampshire, wicked cold.
View attachment 61726

On a side note, I learned that Category:Measurements in degrees Celsius by value - Wikimedia Commons is a thing in Wikipedia's image archive.

this confuses me even more… but perhaps I could train my brain with my infrared thermometer by switching the units back and forth every time I check temperatures.

Oh I know - I just mean I have no intuitive sense of the difference.
I hear ya! This might help with that...

Here's a little trick I learned while living in the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong, 1968-70. To approximate degrees Fahrenheit:
2 X degrees C and add 30 to that.
2 X 29°C = 58 >>>>> 58 + 30 = 88°F

So, whenever you see the temp in Celsius (or Centigrade), immediately use that number X 2 + 30 to train your brain to immediately convert to F. ;):thumbup:

I use this in Google: "celsius to fahrenheit" which then give me this page, wherein I can enter a number on either the left or the right side of the equation & the corresponding value appears. I often leave the window open in my browser & go back to it as needed.

Incidentally, the same works for other types of conversions one may need. For example "ounces to grams", and so on.

From my days of studying seasonal changes in the ecology of coastal bays:
0 C = winter
10-15 C = spring or fall
25-30 C = summer (and now also the lower limit of my room temperature soap making)
40 C = too hot for everything, including me when I’m out on a boat (but good for avoiding stearic spots in small soap batches with stubborn hard fats)

From my days of studying seasonal changes in the ecology of coastal bays:
0 C = winter
10-15 C = spring or fall
25-30 C = summer (and now also the lower limit of my room temperature soap making)
40 C = too hot for everything, including me when I’m out on a boat (but good for avoiding stearic spots in small soap batches with stubborn hard fats)
This is great. This is what I want, not to know how to convert (but thanks all for your helpful references!) but to know how a temperature FEELS. But hey wait a gosh darn minute how should i feel when it’s 0-10, 15-25, or 30-40??? 😄

View attachment 61726

Clearly!

I love the metric system, especially now that I'm making soap, very easy to scale. Teaspoon to tablespoon to cup? What even is that?! Grams grams and more grams for me. But temps I feel the English got right. 100 is hot and zero is cold, and everything between is pretty easy to figure out. When I hear on the radio that the beds are burning and it's 45 degrees....I'm thinking must be a weird way to keep warm lol.

Since the topic (huh? have we had a topic?) is once again digressing towards lamenting the imperfections of arbitrary unit systems anyway, forgive me a few more unhelpful comments.
Teaspoon to tablespoon to cup? What even is that?!
https://xkcd.com/2526/
But temps I feel the English got right.
Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686 – 1736), born in Gdańsk, then Poland-Lithuania, worked from 1717 on in Den Haag, Netherlands
Anders Celsius (1701 – 1744), born and worked in Uppsala, Sweden
Neither of which prioritises one over the other from an Anglo-Saxon, nor a continental European (let alone American) perspective.
100 is hot and zero is cold
No objection.
45 degrees....I'm thinking must be a weird way to keep warm lol.
45 degrees – nothing wrong with that, as long as I don't have to work, but am lying in a deckchair in the shadow of a palm tree, with an ice-cold cocktail in the hand :cool:🌴🍸

This is great. This is what I want, not to know how to convert (but thanks all for your helpful references!) but to know how a temperature FEELS. But hey wait a gosh darn minute how should i feel when it’s 0-10, 15-25, or 30-40??? 😄
It depends on if you are pre, in it or post menopause 🤪

Please let me know if i need to start a new thread, as the last reply to this one was in 2021.

I believe I read that the melting point of GW 415 was around 125 F. Does this mean that if I choose to use this oil (wax), I need to soap at at least 125 F? That seems pretty hot for soaping. Anyone who has used it and can let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back