Soy Wax Use in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you have melted it and blended it with other oils you can go as cool as about 38 Celsius with no problems. I tend to soap around 40 on average
Ok good to know. I'll make a note of that. I was worried thinking I'd have to try to soap higher than that, especially first starting out. Thanks!!

I believe I read that the melting point of GW 415 was around 125 F. Does this mean that if I choose to use this oil (wax), I need to soap at at least 125 F? That seems pretty hot for soaping.
Good question! The answer is...

Nope. 125°F is not too hot for soaping. Although "soaping cool" is preferred by a large segment of SMF members, it's good to remember that the FAs need to be fully melted, then cooled to soaping temps for CP with an eye on keeping the oils/butters/fats/waxes hot enough to combine thoroughly with the lye solution while bringing to trace.

Just in case you missed it: Soy Wax Use in Soap ~ Post #1

Although I have tried it, I rarely use/need to include soy wax in a CP/HP soap, although I understand its use as a sub for palm or for vegan recipes. It's a good thing.

That being said, I use Freedom Soy Wax Beads from American Soy Organics in several leave-on products like lip balm, cuticle balm and my Achy Breaky Balm for pain relief from sore muscles and achy joints.

As shown in the link, the "Melt Temp" of that soy wax is 115°F - 121°F. However, the directions say to melt it to 160°F which I do, and which is the maximum temp for easily dispensing it into my lip balm tubes and other containers. Once cooled to room temp, that 115°F temp easily releases the product for application wherever it's needed. I like that. It's quite nice.

The same method applies to other CP/HP ingredients with high melt temps like beeswax and rosin.

I hope that makes sense? 🥰

Last edited:
Good question! The answer is...

Nope. 125°F is not too hot for soaping. Although "soaping cool" is preferred by a large segment of SMF members, it's good to remember that the FAs need to be fully melted, then cooled to soaping temps for CP with an eye on keeping the oils/butters/fats/waxes hot enough to combine thoroughly with the lye solution while bringing to trace.

Just in case you missed it: Soy Wax Use in Soap ~ Post #1

Although I have tried it, I rarely use/need to include soy wax in a CP/HP soap, although I understand its use as a sub for palm or for vegan recipes. It's a good thing.

That being said, I use Freedom Soy Wax Beads from American Soy Organics in several leave-on products like lip balm, cuticle balm and my Achy Breaky Balm for pain relief from sore muscles and achy joints.

As shown in the link, the "Melt Temp" of that soy wax is 115°F - 121°F. However, the directions say to melt it to 160°F which I do, and which is the maximum temp for easily dispensing it into my lip balm tubes and other containers. Once cooled to room temp, that 115°F temp easily releases the product for application wherever its needed. I like that. It's quite nice.

The same method applies to other CP/HP ingredients with high melt temps like beeswax and rosin.

I hope that makes sense? 🥰
Wow, thanks all the info, once again! I Ike the name of your pain relief balm 😆.

I'll have to look into the Freedom Soy Wax beads. Thanks for the link! 😊

Wow, thanks all the info, once again!
You're welcome!

I Ike the name of your pain relief balm
Haha. You know what the "hit of the day" was at that time? Billy Cyrus, "Achy Breaky Heart." I will always remember when I first made it because of that! I've been known for naming my B & B stuff after popular themes, songs and movies... Old Buttermilk Chai, Sudsweiser, Slumdog (Millionaire) Soap, Hogwash (PKO & Lard LS), etc.

Hello! Was wondering - what are the benefits of using soy wax versus stearic acid in soap. Is one more natural? Thanks for the help!

Welcome.gif
@jennarg!

Hello! Was wondering - what are the benefits of using soy wax versus stearic acid in soap. Is one more natural? Thanks for the help!
Go back and read Post #1

Latest posts

Back