Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Genny, Lindy and everyone for all the great info. Over the years I've learned so much for all of you guys. :) I made your shampoo recipe yesterday and I can't wait to test. I really struggle with shampoos making my scalp irritated and break out.

I did the batch but left out the chamomile and forgot about the sugar. The sugar was for more bubble or to lower ph? I scented with patchouli and ylang ylang.

Years back I made a soap that was 5% sf, was just olive and castor, remember using it head to toe and liking it. I did have short hair back then that was growing back after cancer so it wasn't colored and the texture was weird curly from growing back. Now I have shoulder length hair that's colored and straighter. (considering quitting the color because of my scalp issues....not the healthiest thing to do anyways) When I started reading this thread it occurred to me the coconut oil! That's maybe why I never liked shampoo bars in the past.

Boy if this works and we can all work together to get some good shampoo bar recipes going. Imagine if we could get away from all the bottles of shampoo and conditioner??

Thanks again everyone for a great convo!

*Learned so much FROM all of you guys! :) I was typing to quick.

Oooh Moot, I would love to hear how your recipe turns out. Mine are 48 hour old now. Still a bit soft, but I'm thankful the tea tree sent has somewhat dissipated. They are a beautiful creamy white, and since I ran out of boxes to use as molds, I poured them into cupcakes. They are the perfect hand size. I can't wait to hear how everyone's shampoo bars are turning out.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I just want to point out that the only way you can superfat with a particular oil is HP because until saponification is complete the lye will take what it wants and leave behind as a SF what it wants.

Sugar is just for bubbles.

Moot it is always nice to be able to help and encourage others in the craft.

Ugh. Keep using baking soda and vinegar rinse because the commercial shampoo's are causing irritation.

I keep looking at my three day old shampoo bars wishing I could try them now. My hair feels so greasy and dirty. The no poo method just isn't working for me.

Do I really have to wait four weeks?

I used HP with my first shampoo bars and started using them at 2 weeks, I couldn't stand the wait. If you did CP then you really do want to wait 4 weeks.
Do you have any castile? You can use that on your hair too.

Ugh. Keep using baking soda and vinegar rinse because the commercial shampoo's are causing irritation.

I keep looking at my three day old shampoo bars wishing I could try them now. My hair feels so greasy and dirty. The no poo method just isn't working for me.

Do I really have to wait four weeks?
Couldn't you in the meantime use some grocery store soap? Or been there, done that?

Used CP. I've read that first timers should get good at that first before trying HP.

I have tried regular store bought Dove Sensitive, but my hair doesn't feel right, and the Dove isn't working anymore on the rest of my skin. My eczema is worsening, and I'm not sure if it's me, but I suspect Dove has changed their formulation.

I've started making my own soap because I can't stand the pain and itching anymore. Maybe I will try HP after I get a few more CP batches under my belt.

Williamsburg, VA

Used CP. I've read that first timers should get good at that first before trying HP.

I have tried regular store bought Dove Sensitive, but my hair doesn't feel right, and the Dove isn't working anymore on the rest of my skin. My eczema is worsening, and I'm not sure if it's me, but I suspect Dove has changed their formulation.

I've started making my own soap because I can't stand the pain and itching anymore. Maybe I will try HP after I get a few more CP batches under my belt.

Williamsburg, VA
But Dove is a complicated cocktail to begin with, not much like what you'd be making, and not much actual soap in it. Have you tried actual soap soap off the shelf on your hair?

Sorry,I should have been more specific. The Dove Sensitive I use is a bar soap, not shampoo. All other bar soap (including ivory) aggravate my condition, or at the very least, leaves my skin very dry. The only other soap I used to use was Pure and Natural, but they stopped making it. The Dove bar soap worked well as a replacement for a while, but the last few years have seen worsening skin. My doctors keep prescribing oral and topical steroids, but they have thinned my skin, made my hair fall out and made me feel generally crummy.

I have refused to go back to any of the doctors over the last few months, but I need to do something about this miserable condition. After lots of reading,I thought I would give homemade soap and cleaners a try. I have started with laundry detergent, and tried the no poo method to clean my hair (not fond of that much). Seems when I find homemade soaps while out shopping, they still have FOs, or other unwanted chemicals. Seemed only logical to make my own. Plus, quite frankly, it looked like loads of fun. (Which it is!)

Williamsburg, VA

My shampoo bars using Gennys recipe in the oven! More exciting than cupcakes!! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380244533.461133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

They look so cool. I did mine as cupcakes too! How come mine came out white and yours are brown? Perhaps it's because I used almond oil instead of avocado?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380246977434.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380246977434.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Thanks Hazel! Yes, I thought large cupcake size would be a good size for lathering so we'll see!

Squyars, I did use the full amount of avocado and the oil is very green, but it's most likely due to the honey I added, not much, only 2 or 3 teaspoons but it did turn the mix quite orange!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Sorry,I should have been more specific. The Dove Sensitive I use is a bar soap, not shampoo.
I assumed you were referring to the bar, and that you had been using it on your hair.
All other bar soap (including ivory) aggravate my condition, or at the very least, leaves my skin very dry. The only other soap I used to use was Pure and Natural, but they stopped making it.
"They" stopped making it only in the sense that the brand was sold off. AFAIK the new owners are still making it. Were you using it on your hair, though?

Sorry,I should have been more specific. The Dove Sensitive I use is a bar soap, not shampoo. All other bar soap (including ivory) aggravate my condition, or at the very least, leaves my skin very dry. The only other soap I used to use was Pure and Natural, but they stopped making it. The Dove bar soap worked well as a replacement for a while, but the last few years have seen worsening skin. My doctors keep prescribing oral and topical steroids, but they have thinned my skin, made my hair fall out and made me feel generally crummy.

I have refused to go back to any of the doctors over the last few months, but I need to do something about this miserable condition. After lots of reading,I thought I would give homemade soap and cleaners a try. I have started with laundry detergent, and tried the no poo method to clean my hair (not fond of that much). Seems when I find homemade soaps while out shopping, they still have FOs, or other unwanted chemicals. Seemed only logical to make my own. Plus, quite frankly, it looked like loads of fun. (Which it is!)

Williamsburg, VA

You will notice a HUGE difference with handmade soap. First, Dove and Ivory aren't soaps. They are detergent! Google the ingredients. You'd be shocked. I did a blog post on this very topic.

My daughter has SEVERE eczema. And switching to handmade soap has cured it. Among many other things for the different members of our family. We will never again use store bought 'soap'. If you haven't made it yet, or are waiting for it to cure, I would suggest purchasing some from other soap makers while you wait. Even though I make my own soap, I still like buying from other soapers. :)

Latest posts

Back