Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a fan of CP shampoo bars because immediately they'd leave my hair all dried out & straw-like. So I only used Syndet bars and never looked back.
But a post Lindy made here http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ helped me see the error of my ways.

So, I just want to thank Lindy for giving me that "duh" moment so I could create a shampoo bar that I've only used once, but I love it already. I imagine that after some cure time, it's going to feel so much more lovely.
I used it this morning and there was absolutely no "stripping" feel to it & it felt so conditioning that I used it on the rest of my body as well :) My brush went right through my hair and now it feels so silky & smooth.

I'm feeling so good about it, I'm going to share the recipe I created:
Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

I infused chamomile in all my oils, not in the shea though. Plus I use a TBSP of sugar in my water for added bubbles.

For scent, I used Tea Tree EO, Peppermint EO & Lavender EO at a 1:1:1 ratio.

If anyone decides to try it, please let me know how you feel about it.

I MADE THis recipe but I tweaked it a bit and just love it. Really good Shampoo bar
I used OO 40%
Avacado oil 30 %
Castor oil 10%
Shea Butter 10%
Sunflower seed oil 10%
I superfated at 8 %
I used Tea Tree EO and peppermint fO cause I didn't have it in EO

I've wondered the same thing about salt bars as shampoo bars. A friend is anxious for me to experiment with that idea - she says when she loves the way her hair feels after swimming in the ocean and that she doesn't shampoo her hair when she's on vacation at the beach because her hair behaves better with just the salt water. Knowing that salt kills lather except when using coconut oil, and I can't imagine using that much coconut oil in a shampoo, I can't quite wrap my head around a salt shampoo bar. But I love experimenting so I do think I'll try it. I'll report back the results.

Wonder if a straight 50/50 coconut/olive oil salt bar would give you the best of both worlds. Don't really need to worry about drying out the hair if you superfat it enough.

Well, after I typed that about experimenting with salt bars as shampoo bars, I headed to the shower to get ready for work. While there, I decided to just go ahead and begin my experimenting now and used one of my salt bars as shampoo. It's from my first batch of salt bars so it's at least 7 months old and I can't remember for sure how much salt - I'll check the recipe later but it was at least 60% of the weight of the oils with a SF of either 18 or 20%. I use all coconut oil now but these would have had some castor oil and avocado oil in them. I lathered, rinsed, repeated. The lather was awesome. When I got done, my hair felt a little tangled up like it felt the first month of using shampoo bars so I sprayed on some diluted vinegar. I did not apply any gel or mousse like I usually do. OMG my hair is so soft but it has lots of body and it's very manageable. Usually when I use a product that softens it this much it just flattens out and has no body. I'm anxious to do some real experimenting now!

That is wonderful chicklet! Since I have run out of my salt bars, I will reformulate with salt and comeback with the results.

Thankyou all!

I'm reading the responses from all of you who have tried these. I'm interested in trying some but I have pretty fine hair. I have a decent amount of it and it's shoulder length. I also have hard water here. I saw where someone mentioned the way their hair feels when they go into the ocean. I'm a scuba diver and have spent a lot of time in the ocean, and it makes my hair feel nasty! My hair gets tangled and feels very un-conditioned when I get in salt water. It's pretty unmanageable until I wash and condition it. So the bottom line for me is that I'm not sure where to go with a shampoo bar for this hair and the water that we have. :confused:

SKATERGIRL - I have fine, shoulder length hair that was always frizzy, no matter what moisturizing, conditioning commercial formula I used. After going detergent and silicone free for awhile, using shampoo bars, with occasional ACV rinses, my hair doesn't frizz, it's much more manageable and I finally have wash and go hair. If you go for it, you will have a couple weeks you'll hate it, but it gets better. Perhaps you might want to purchase a bar and give it a try before trying to formulate something you'll like for yourself. :)

I wanted to make a shampoo for a long time now, but since I am not comfortable with the liquid shampoo recipes I have never tried yet. Now that I found this thread I will definitely try to make this shampoo bar in the weekend.

Thank you for sharing!

The thing I love in this forum is that it is full of women :-D:-D:-D

I have fine, shoulder length hair that was always frizzy, no matter what moisturizing, conditioning commercial formula I used.
ghia61, you have my hair!!! I just got the ingredients that I was missing to make the poo bars, hope I have time to night to do a HP batch. AND I hope I have the same results as you, because I couldn't hate my hair any more than I already do!

SKATERGIRL - I have fine, shoulder length hair that was always frizzy, no matter what moisturizing, conditioning commercial formula I used. After going detergent and silicone free for awhile, using shampoo bars, with occasional ACV rinses, my hair doesn't frizz, it's much more manageable and I finally have wash and go hair. If you go for it, you will have a couple weeks you'll hate it, but it gets better. Perhaps you might want to purchase a bar and give it a try before trying to formulate something you'll like for yourself. :)

I have never used ACV to rinse my hair. Is this something I would do before I use the shampoo bar or after?

I'm going to PM you. :)

I made a 1 lb batch of this recipe in the crockpot last night. I followed the recipe but used 1/2 aloe vera gel & 1/2 distilled water for the lye mixture and added honey at trace. I cut & tested it today and I'M LOVE LOVE LOVING IT! My hair is thin and baby fine and usually lays flat to my head unless I load it up with root lifter before I blow dry. NOT THIS TIME THOUGH! Awesome recipe, Genny! Thanks for sharing!

how much honey did you add? I have hair like yours and it's so hard to find just the right shampoo. i have been using a bar i bought and i wish i could duplicate it. it's perfect for my hair. so hoping this recipe here will do the same... thanks

I used OO 40%
Avacado oil 30 %
Castor oil 10%
Shea Butter 10%
Sunflower seed oil 10%
I superfated at 8 %

Dear Bama, I followed exactly this recipe but my bar is too soft.
Is this meant to be a soft bar?

Are you sure ?

Well, compared to the other forums that I follow, the straight razor place and the hunting forum, where you don’t meet a female for months, here it is indeed full of women :cool:

I did a similar beer poo recipe and I substituted 1.2% of the olive oil with Stearic Acid (Veggie based). Very good lather.

I did a similar beer poo recipe and I substituted 1.2% of the olive oil with Stearic Acid (Veggie based). Very good lather.

If only you have posted this 3 days ago I would have followed.

Anyway, since I am not satisfied with this shampoo bar I will repeat it with CP this time and by adding some stearic acid.

But are you sure it is only 1.2% ?
Why not 5% for example?

Just saw this. No my bar was very hard. I do use a water discount in every soap I make though. Whatever amt of lye I use I only double the oz. for water. I am about to make another batch next week. I will be glad to pm you the recipe tomorrow I use for a 3 lb batch I use if you want. Just let me know. I am going to be gone all day today and need to get off the pc and get going

I am about to make another batch next week. I will be glad to pm you the recipe tomorrow I use for a 3 lb batch I use if you want. Just let me know.

i would appreciate this very much.
Thank you!

If only you have posted this 3 days ago I would have followed.

Anyway, since I am not satisfied with this shampoo bar I will repeat it with CP this time and by adding some stearic acid.

But are you sure it is only 1.2% ?
Why not 5% for example?

Stearic acid can hinder your lather qualities and I try to add just enough to harden it just a bit. Sodium Lactate helps harden as well and also has a little preserving quality to it. The recommended amount is 1TBSP per ounce of oil.

Correction: 1 Teaspoon per pound of Oil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back