Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have fine wavy/soft curly hair but there is tons of it so its thick and prone to frizz. I used this 3 times about 3 days apart and found my hair quite unmanageable... Almost like it was dirty from being in the dusty wind. I'm disappointed it didn't fare well for my hair type :(

Flavapor - there was a 3-4 week adjustment period for me. It's been several months since I've used commercial hair products. I use the shampoo bar once a week or so, working it into my scalp, not really all over my hair. My hair is no longer a tangled mess when I get up in the morning and is a lot easier to get a comb through. I've also noticed there's a lot less hair in my comb after washing it. I do rinse my hair (just water) in the shower almost daily.

I just washed my hair with water and ACV the other day to see if it helped, and it did a little, still looks greasy. Love the feel though. I am getting my hair cut next week and I am thinking maybe my layers are just to long and it may not be the shampoo bar at all. Gonna keep using it and see what happens.

I think that this formula is not very suitable for my hair either. The first wash is marvelous, but somehow, I still feel my scalp is not clean enough. After a few washes, the hair start to lump and cluster together cos being oily. I have to wash my hair everyday, as I live in a tropical city, my hair is sticking with dust every now and then.

Nevertheless, thanks Genny for sharing. I will adjust my own formula slowly based on this experience.

I have long hair to the middle of my back, and love these shampoo bars. My husband tried it for the first time over the weekend
and is he really happy with the "squeaky clean" feeling afterwords. We both used reduced amounts of conditioner-which now seems to go a lot further...
I have used ACV for years (mix one part water), as a last "leave in" rinse for super soft (course curly) hair, which I wear naturally curly or curls blown out).

I made the bars colored with a 3 Tablespoons of Woad infused olive oil with 1 Tablespoon of Indigo infused olive oil (added at trace).
Bar color is holding, but I'm not sure (yet) if it has an affect on keeping our salt and pepper locks free from yellowing.
I didn't have Soybean oil for Genny's recipe so I subbed it with additional olive oil.

I need to indulge in one more interesting finding. After a month's use, I decided to try bottled shampoo as a comparison
and found, on-instant my hair reacted with a straw like feel during lathering. This was an unexpected surprise.
I immediately rinsed my hair out and shampooed with the shampoo bar- we really love this formula- Thanks Genny and Lindy!

One interesting aside to the shampoo bars. For a doggie bar I carefully researched, then modified the recipe with Emu, a lot of avocado, colloidal oatmeal and I can't remember what else right now 'cuz I'm a little rattled.

So the real test for the doggie bar. I took the doggie out an hour ago for a last pee-pee walk. Could smell skunk but couldn't pinpoint it. Aha, under the tree where the mockingbirds have a nest. Of course the skunk got too close. Of course the mockingbirds went after the skunk. Of course the skunk sprayed. And, dogs being dogs, of course the dog rolled in the source of the smell before I could stop her. EWWWEEEEWWWW!!!!! Nothing like an emergency bath past bedtime. Of course I had run out of all other doggie shampoo 'cuz I've only been bathing her with my doggie bar. Believe me, I woulda gone for the strong stuff if I'd had it. Amazingly, it did a good job of dissipating the stench. Still, she goes to the river for a swim tomorrow, then another bath.

Stay tuned, will report back after tomorrow's bath. Lindy and Genny, who coulda known this thread would lead in bizarre directions?

Last edited:
I have long hair (shoulder length) and I absolutely love my shampoo bars....

Lindy, Not asking for your exact recipe, but I'm curious. How close is Genny's wonderful bar to your shampoo bar?

. Of course the skunk sprayed. And, dogs being dogs, of course the dog rolled in the source of the smell before I could stop her. EWWWEEEEWWWW!!!!!

I know this isn't funny but I just cracked up while reading your post. Probably because I've had a similar experience. It was long enough ago that I can now laugh about it.

Apologies for interrupting the thread.

Recently I formulated a shampoo bar( high conditioning). It worked extremely well on my hair. We have soft water. My sister when on a visit tried the shampoo bar and loved it. But sadly, 2 days later when she tried the same bar at her place she had powdery buildup and tangled up hair the very next day. The only difference between the two applications was she has very hard water at her place. So I guessed my formulation was fit for soft water but for hard water needed to be modified.
Anybody with ideas for natural stuff to add into shampoo bar to work with hard water?

Recently I formulated a shampoo bar( high conditioning). It worked extremely well on my hair. We have soft water. My sister when on a visit tried the shampoo bar and loved it. But sadly, 2 days later when she tried the same bar at her place she had powdery buildup and tangled up hair the very next day. The only difference between the two applications was she has very hard water at her place. So I guessed my formulation was fit for soft water but for hard water needed to be modified.
Anybody with ideas for natural stuff to add into shampoo bar to work with hard water?

Interesting. Waiting to hear about a solution to the hard water issue. The water where I live is very hard.

Interesting. Waiting to hear about a solution to the hard water issue. The water where I live is very hard.

Wonder if doing a combo salt bar/shampoo bar would be the solution. Salt is what is used in water softeners, so a salt bar would act as a localized water softener. Not sure if you'd need to go to full salt bar levels with it or not.

I've wondered the same thing about salt bars as shampoo bars. A friend is anxious for me to experiment with that idea - she says when she loves the way her hair feels after swimming in the ocean and that she doesn't shampoo her hair when she's on vacation at the beach because her hair behaves better with just the salt water. Knowing that salt kills lather except when using coconut oil, and I can't imagine using that much coconut oil in a shampoo, I can't quite wrap my head around a salt shampoo bar. But I love experimenting so I do think I'll try it. I'll report back the results.

Many water softeners use salt to condition the water and remove the minerals that cause it to be "hard". I wonder if some salt added to the bar would assist in the same way? I know soap does not lather the same in hard vs. soft water. My hubby can tell when it is time for the soften to regenerate just by the way the soap lathers/feels in the shower.

Back