Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lozflowers you can achieve the same thing with a higher SF if you wanted to bypass the citric acid...

I'm afraid to! I have a jar of citric acid that I got from the health food store, and I don't really make bath bombs anymore, so I'm going to keep using the recipe as is :) It's only a teaspoon at a time.

It would be interesting to see if it is the simple additional superfatting that produces a better rinse or the resulting salt created by the acid/lye reaction that helps out...perhaps by locally softening the water????

Oh good point Chris. Water hardness has a lot to do with lather. The harder the water, the harder it is to get a good lather.

I HP’d the original shampoo bar, although I overpoured the OO ): by 1.5 ounces. I adjusted the lye accordingly. I have been using it for about two weeks and I really like it, I was concerned because of the extra OO but it seems fine. I broke up the batch and made a few bars scented with different FOs and EOs – incl lemongrass which is what I am using now and it smells divine. I let them cure for a week and the bars are a little softer than some of my other HP bars.

I have thick short hair, not curly or oily, and I color the roots every two weeks so the ends can be dry. I usually need a conditioner to get a comb through it. The shampoo bar takes a bit longer to rinse it out thoroughly than commercial shampoo does but I did not need any other rinse or conditioner. After using the shampoo bar, my hair is very shiny and it has a little more "tooth" to it - easier to style and it holds better. It makes sense that you wouldn’t need conditioner because of the moisturizing properties of the soap. No more commercial shampoo for me!

This was my first time using a shampoo bar ever and for me it worked best when I rubbed it between my hands for a few minutes and worked up a lot of wet lather, then transferred the lather to my scalp (instead of putting the soap on my scalp/hair). I usually have to do that twice to cover my scalp. At first I tried to lather it up directly on the head and it left a little residue feeling (although this may have been from the extra oil). So in terms of selling a shampoo bar, would you put directions on it or does it seems obvious how to use it?

I love the idea of not having to travel with liquid shampoo – esp if it can double as a body bar. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and everybody’s comments, this has been a great thread!

Just wanted to say that I finally got to try out my banana buttermilk shampoo bars that were inspired by this thread. The results are pretty awesome. It doesn't lather up quite as nicely as the other shampoo bars I make but with a bit of extra effort it works beautifully. After I had rinsed out my hair I could immediately notice the difference, my hair wasn't sticky/tangly like it normally is after using a shampoo bar. And while I did use a little bit of ACV rinse I don't think I needed it very much. I'll just have to wait and see how it's performance is over time. :)

Oh wow am I stupid. So I've been making small batches of experimental shampoo bars, and wound up with several I'm really happy with. So last night I HP'd a 4.5 lb batch of one - with some *really* expensive exotic oils, citric acid, a number of additives. Well, I sez to myself, what could hurt by adding a little DL panthenol, silk amino acids and honeyquat to the milk after the cook? Hah, well, plenty can happen. It slightly scorched - not much, but it's discolored enough I wouldn't want to sell it. Ah well, live and learn. Too bad it's my first bigg-ish batch :(

But... even though it's way too soon to use, needs curing, I tried it out today. Omigod. My hair has never, ever been so soft and silky -- full bodied, the waves more like curls. The lather was amazing. The litsea and lemongrass EOs were intoxicating. I put a little conditioner just on the ends. This stuff is totally astonishing. I have very thick, oily, very wavy hair below shoulder length.

Problem is I don't know what scorched. Guessing it's the silk amino acids, which I have in powder form. Back to tiny experimental batches for me to isolate what can't take the heat. But I am soo, soo encouraged. Shampoo bars are simply totally the best thing since sliced bread. I'm HPing a batch with a lot of oil-infused alkanet root powder right now, will take pics after it's cut and then after it's cured to compare colors. Hopefully will be brightening for grey hair, can't wait to find out!

Last edited:
Wow! So, this would not be a good bar for my hair. It is VERY dry, thin, and very curly hair. But, it sounds like it would be great for my cousin. . . extremely thick (thickest I've ever seen), wavy, very red hair. I've always wondered if I could find something perfect for her poor hair. : (

I tried my alkanet bars, once at just after 3 weeks and then again a couple days ago. I wash my hair twice a week for many years. I now have kind of crazy body to my hair, but it looks almost fly away and a bit unkempt. Not silky really so I may have to try my egg and cream shampoo bar to see if I need a bit more moisturizing. I have to say I was surprised at the lather- I was expecting it to be pretty low but it's nice. Takes a few times to get enough for my hair which is below my shoulders. I will keep trying it as it ages but will have to do a wash with the moisturizing bar for comparison. I'm impressed overall!

I made the shampoo soap two days ago. its still quite soft but i imagine it will harder with time.

shampoo soap.jpg

i made them for my husband, he wanted me to make him shampoo bars. I thought i would do them round to make them easier to hold.
thankyou for this recipe. <3

I just had to play. I decided to finally try this shampoo bar. Just got done putting it in the mold.
I used Beer "Sierra Nevada, Glissade" in place of water. I've never worked with beer and WOW what a learning curve.
Mixed a bit of EO of Grapfruit and Orange "good in beer at least". Had a bit of Ricing, yet it's resting quietly without any extra warmth.
Almost seized up, yet whoosh I think it will be ok "I think LOL". Can't wait to see what we have in 24. Soap is always an adventure. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, it has really helped reading all your ideas and feedback... Cheers "It's noon and I believe I can drink the rest of that remaining beer now" 8)

How much citric acid would you recommend in this recipe? I have thick, curly, hair, so I think this would be a GREAT recipe to try!

I used about a teaspoon per pound of soap, I was not exact. Tossed in some rosemary and blended it up. I do not need to use a vinegar rinse, despite having very hard water.

FWIW- My best friend is a master spinner, weaver and dyer. She also makes their soap. :) I am a baby at all this, though middle-aged. ;) When I was having problems with my first shampoo bar results on my hair, I went to her for help. She was most concerned on the ACV formula, knowing how it works with protein fibers (human hair is technically a protein fiber). She said the common recipe for the ACV mixture is usually made too strong. 2 tbsp. to a 16 oz empty bottle and topped with water is normally strong enough.

Also, when one lives in hard water areas like we do, the ACV can either leave the hair gummy, greasy and/or fly-away if used after washing one's hair with a shampoo bar (though some do not have this problem). I tried her suggestion of not using the ACV mixture more than once a week, and *before* washing my hair. I squirted a little on, washed up, rinsed out the ACV and then finished up by washing my hair with a shampoo bar. It worked! No more gummy, greasy hair that had static-cling of the worst sort. My hair felt almost dry and squeaky when rinsing, though the soap washed out well, unlike before when I used the ACV rinse afterwards. I feared I would never get my comb through my mass of hair after getting dressed. My comb glided through my hair, even the fine-toothed wooden one.

I have thick, oily hair and scalp. I have always lived in hard water areas (forest/mountains). I tried for years to wash my hair very little on the common theory that it makes your hair less oily. For me, it is wrong. After months of trying to wash once a week or so, I gave up and stayed with at least every other day. We are all different, that is for sure.

I made this bar a few months ago and have just started using it a few weeks ago. Initially, I loved the way my hair felt, soft, shiny, smooth. I did do an acv rinse, but the fourth and fifth time I washed it, my hair looked greasy. It doesn't feel greasy but looks greasy. I don't use a conditioner after the ACV since the first wash, and I don't use product on my hair. What do you think is going on?

Need less heavy oils?
Stop ACV rinse?
any advice, I loved it at first and want to get it back to that hair again. My hair is dry by nature, I used to shampoo it every 5 days before this bar and in the first few washes, now I have to do it every few days

Flavapor - there was a 3-4 week adjustment period for me. It's been several months since I've used commercial hair products. I use the shampoo bar once a week or so, working it into my scalp, not really all over my hair. My hair is no longer a tangled mess when I get up in the morning and is a lot easier to get a comb through. I've also noticed there's a lot less hair in my comb after washing it. I do rinse my hair (just water) in the shower almost daily.

Latest posts

Back