Scent fading (Patchouli) with HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fargood

Reaction score
I used essential oil Patchouli (rather than a fragrance oil) because I did HP. I used strawberry seeds as an exfoliant. I didn't do anything different with this soap. I used kaolin as a scent binder, along with my usual HP recipe.

I like to use at least one bar of all my soaps in the shower before I sell/give them away. My BFF asked me to make a patchouli soap for her, because she's hippie like that :). I made the bar at the beginning of Dec 2018 and started using it in the shower about mid-Jan. Now that the bar is about 2/3 of the way used up, there is no scent. The soap smells like saponified HP batter right before you put the scent in and mold it. Basically, it smells like hot lard and oil. The Patchouli EO was from a regular (big) soap distributer that I use a lot. I won't post the name, because if I recall right, that's against forum rules.

Has anyone else experienced this with patchouli essential oil? Is it just not worth using in soap because of the quick fade? Or should I combine EO and FO to make the scent last longer?

I used a scent calculator on the distributor website. My recipe is at home (I'm at the office right now). If I remember correctly, it was about 2.0 oz for a 33.0 oz batch of soap.

I make and sell quite a bit of straight up patchouli. I've got a couple bars that are over a year old and still smell great. I don't use them though, I'm not a super fan of it thought I don't mind it. It may also be what kind of patch you are using. I use dark aged Indonesian patchouli. The amount you used should be enough. It's more than 1 oz ppo. Which is what I generally use.

I make and sell quite a bit of straight up patchouli. I've got a couple bars that are over a year old and still smell great. I don't use them though, I'm not a super fan of it thought I don't mind it. It may also be what kind of patch you are using. I use dark aged Indonesian patchouli. The amount you used should be enough. It's more than 1 oz ppo. Which is what I generally use.

I'm thinking it may have been just a bad bottle or batch through the distributor. I will try another batch tonight with a different brand. I'm not a fan of patchouli at all, but I can't turn down my BFF. I'm counting on her to keep me entertained when we get old and stuck in a nursing home together. :)

I use patchouli regularly and have not had a faded scent. Can you describe how you added EO to the HP soap? It may help someone to help you. Did you let the soap batter to cool down to ~150 F before adding the EO?

I use this Patchouli and it holds very well and the price is right. I use it at 1.1oz ppo. Like any EO, Patchouli's can vary. I used to be able to purchase a long aged Indonesian Dark Patch, but I can no longer find it, and it was really strong.
http://www.fragrancelaboratory.com/...ian-Essential-Oil/p/36089366/category=9255019

I use the same patchouli and it lasts a long time. Well over a year. I make and sell a lot of it. I have 2 customers who buy a loaf at at time.

Latest posts

Back