Uncolored and Unscented?!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while ago, I made my husband some high-lard, uncolored and unscented soap because he was thinking that the revolving door of test soaps at the sinks throughout the house were bothering his skin. Turned out it was the Dawn Powerwash…ya think? LOL

But the plain, high-lard soap (made using guidelines from @AliOop) has made its way into the rotation lately, and he told me today that that’s what he wants in the future……uncolored, unscented soap. (Except for his shower soap that I make with orange, patchouli, and ylang ylang EOs, but I’ve been told I can’t color it anymore.) I told him he‘s taking all the fun out of making soap, LOL……which he knows isn’t true because he knows I love making soaps that people love, whatever it looks or smells (or not) like. ❤️

Seriously, it's our own, isn't it? My spouse also wanted un colored unscented too. He also once said You know, unscented, like Ivory soap? I straight up bought Ivory soap fragrance and waved that under his nose. In his defense, he was saying more like I've smelled this since I was a kid so it's familiar than unscented.

My husband prefers plain white soap, too. I do have requests for plain lard soaps on a regular basis from friends and family with super sensitive skin, so I make it pretty often.

My plan for tonight is to make two batches. One will be strawberry with puree and strawberry fragrance. The second will be plain white, which I will use to pipe on top of the strawberry to add a little extra razzle dazzle. Any white batter left will go into mermaid and space themed embed molds.

I like Plain Jane soaps too... only with fragrance. There are so many lovely fragrances available, it's truly a little bit of heaven to lather up with a favorite signature scent. Especially when it's still wafting in the air long after the bath or shower. Signature scents is where i like to "play". Complicated color designs hold no interest for me. Not everyone is talented in that area, myself included. I'm too pragmatic I think. I'd rather spend my time playing mad pseudo-scientist creating something new and different or something to streamline the process or tweaking as many times as needed to achieve perfection (or close to it).

But the plain, high-lard soap (made using guidelines from @AliOop) has made its way into the rotation lately…
Just popping in to say I also made the world famous @AliOop high lard soap and it’s deliciously wonderful! I didn’t color it which felt pretty darn weird, but I did add a bit of BB Candied Citrus FO. I made it into small individual cavity molds for smaller facial soaps. Will for sure be keeping it on hand!

All of my personal use soaps are without fragrances and colors. I use E/O but no F/O unless it's requested. My colors come from the oils I use. Colors are usually lime green, beige and various shades of ecru and yellow. When I first started I used many colors and fragrances.

But I stopped years ago and started focusing on things I thought were more important. I leave the swirls and all that jazz to the soap artisans. 😁

Where would one find this high lard formula?
I do believe lard is the best FA to use on our skin. I often recommend it for teenage acne with Tea Tree EO. I make unscented GRANDMA'S OLD FASHION LARD SOAP for a geezer pal. He says it reminds him of his childhood. 😁

85% Lard, with 10% Coconut + 5% Castor to boost lather.
:thumbs:
TEMPS: 120-135°F
SF: 5%
Default Setting on Soap Calc

I prefer completely plain with no fragrance but they really don't sell well.
Me, too, but have found that nearly all of the unscented ones I've made still have a smell, a 'fat' smell, which I don't care for. I did make one batch that had no detectable smell (at least none that my untutored schnoz could detect), and of course I didn't write down which one it was! I guess I'll be sniffing soap today.

Where would one find this high lard formula? My daughter recently began rendering her own and has offered it to me for my soaps. I’ve made one batch with it so far and it’s AWESOME!
Hi @Marie_with_an_e, I have a few high-lard formulas, but here is my most basic one:

75% lard
20% CO
5% castor oil

3% SF
1% sugar or sorbitol (pre-dissolved in batch water). This helps the soap lather more freely.
1-2% sodium citrate, or other chelator of choice.

The low super-fat and the chelator are included to cut down on soap scum. Unfortunately, high-lard soaps can produce a lot of soap scum if you increase the SF or don't use a chelator. A chelator also protects against DOS; I don't experience this with high-lard soaps, but some folks have.

Hi @Marie_with_an_e, I have a few high-lard formulas, but here is my most basic one:

75% lard
20% CO
5% castor oil

3% SF
1% sugar or sorbitol (pre-dissolved in batch water). This helps the soap lather more freely.
1-2% sodium citrate, or other chelator of choice.

The low super-fat and the chelator are included to cut down on soap scum. Unfortunately, high-lard soaps can produce a lot of soap scum if you increase the SF or don't use a chelator. A chelator also protects against DOS; I don't experience this with high-lard soaps, but some folks have.
Hi AliOop, thank you so much for sharing! 🤗 I’ll be making a batch this weekend (hopefully).

Latest posts

Back