Uncolored and Unscented?!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you’ll like it, @Marie_with_an_e 😍
I’ve got a second batch of this in my to-do list.
@AliOop - didn’t you also advise a slightly longer cure time? 6 weeks minimum, as I recall? 🌸
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me! I do find that, like most single-oil or mostly-single-oil soaps, high-lard soaps benefit from a longer cure. In this case, I'd do at least six weeks. If you can wait longer - even up to 12 weeks, the lather feel just gets better and better.

I'll just chime in here to say that my mostly-lard soaps (they're 70%+) get to cure for at least 8 weeks, and because I don't add a chelator, their SF is almost exclusively 3% across the board. Also, I usually will add some kind of sugar to the lye-water, or to the fats. I particularly find that if I add a strong chamomile tisane (it's NOT a tea, folks! :p), it adds a kind of caramel scent to the soap that becomes stronger the longer it cures. It also gives the soap a very creamy translucent sort of color.

I'll just chime in here to say that my mostly-lard soaps (they're 70%+) get to cure for at least 8 weeks, and because I don't add a chelator, their SF is almost exclusively 3% across the board. Also, I usually will add some kind of sugar to the lye-water, or to the fats. I particularly find that if I add a strong chamomile tisane (it's NOT a tea, folks! :p), it adds a kind of caramel scent to the soap that becomes stronger the longer it cures. It also gives the soap a very creamy translucent sort of color.
I am definitely giving this a try. Like Zany, I had never heard of chamomile tisane. I love making scented soaps but fragrance, and even most EO’s, are not my friends. If you have any other suggestions for similar herbs that will scent a soap I would greatly appreciate them.

I am definitely giving this a try. Like Zany, I had never heard of chamomile tisane. I love making scented soaps but fragrance, and even most EO’s, are not my friends. If you have any other suggestions for similar herbs that will scent a soap I would greatly appreciate them.
I'm currently moving myself to WI. Again. This time without any idea of a return date. My son is taking partial custody of his kids because their mom is not doing her job. So this Nan needs to step in.
This is all to explain why I'm going to take a bit to respond to the request for ideas on how to give soaps "scents" without actual scents.
I do use what others consider spices, and sometimes natural colorants, that end up giving soaps very delicate or nuanced scents but they evolve over time.
I'll post it in a few days. As soon as I get a bit settled.

ETA: In the meantime, if you're not allergic, and you want or like pineapple, save a 4 oz (120g or so) piece of the peel. You boil it (from cold) for about 30 mins at med-to-low heat with 8 0z water (260g by volume) & 3 whole allspice berries or 1/8 tsp ground, 1 whole clove or 1/16 tsp.
Once completely cooled, freeze it, and replace it for your lye liquid (add or remove liquid as needed) for a gorgeous scent of a mix of sweet flowers like jasmine and rose, but it's NOT cloying.
This amount is just right for making a sample batch of 1lb or 1 1/4 lbs of soap depending on your recipe.

Last edited:
I make unscented GRANDMA'S OLD FASHION LARD SOAP for a geezer pal.

A GEEZER pal? 😂 🤣 LMAO I have some geezer pals too who I love sitting & talking with regarding their lives when younger. One of my favourite things to do. Loved doing this with the older people when living in Indonesia as well. Older folks have a LOT of interesting stuff to talk about, and a lot of it they have been holding on to & waiting to tell someone all their lives, and it ain't just knitting! 😁

Yes, different things definitely trigger our remembrances, which trigger emotions, and often it's things which come from things we commonly, unthinkingly did on a regular basis.

ETA: In the meantime, if you're not allergic, and you want or like pineapple, save a 4 oz (120g or so) piece of the peel. You boil it (from cold) for about 30 mins at med-to-low heat with 8 0z water (260g by volume) & 3 whole allspice berries or 1/8 tsp ground, 1 whole clove or 1/16 tsp.
Once completely cooled, freeze it, and replace it for your lye liquid (add or remove liquid as needed) for a gorgeous scent of a mix of sweet flowers like jasmine and rose, but it's NOT cloying.
This amount is just right for making a sample batch of 1lb or 1 1/4 lbs of soap depending on your recipe.

I have gone through a similar situation when my son was the one not doing the greatest job for himself or his daughter / my granddaughter. Wishing you strength in this as I know it's not easy.

OMG that sounds AMAZING! ❤️ And I've got pineapple peels in the freezer just waiting to be used in soap!

I will be playing with layering my scents using this method, for sure. Smacking myself up the head that it hadn't even occurred to me before!

WOOT! 😁

I'm currently moving myself to WI. Again. This time without any idea of a return date. My son is taking partial custody of his kids because their mom is not doing her job. So this Nan needs to step in.
This is all to explain why I'm going to take a bit to respond to the request for ideas on how to give soaps "scents" without actual scents.
I do use what others consider spices, and sometimes natural colorants, that end up giving soaps very delicate or nuanced scents but they evolve over time.
I'll post it in a few days. As soon as I get a bit settled.

Thank you. Your son and grandkids are lucky to have you. Hope you get settled in quickly.

This sounds amazing! Pineapple is going on my shopping list.

Latest posts

Back