Scent completely dissipated from CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catalyna

Reaction score
Made a batch of my regular CP using a mix of grapefruit EO and FO. Didn't add fragrance anchors, such as clay, I thought that having some FO will do the job.
Now, after three months, the grapefruit scent is completely gone. It just smells like grandma plain homemade soap :(
Now, what can I do with the soap? Can I advertise it like unscented? I imagine that some EO/FO components are still there...

Have some other people smell it, see if they can pick up the scent at all. I would label it as barely there or even a play on words like magical fading fruit.
I would not advertise it as unscented for the reason you mentioned, I'm sure some part of the fragrance components remain.

Perhaps call it lightly scented? Some people will probably pick it up and some won't. TBH, I'd give it away vs trying to sell it. Unless you get a bunch of people to smell it and a decent percentage of them pick up a light scent.

Did you Try it ? Occasionally it is there but only comes out when used ??

You could call it, a Whiff of grapefruit ?

Some FOs don't stick in soap, just like some EOs. Citrus scents in particular can be like that, whether FO or EO. Best way to find whether the scent sticks is to do a test and find out from practical experience.

Sounds like the soap version of La Croix. If you like La Croix, that's great, but the memes about it having zero flavor are incredibly funny to me XD

My favorite that I've seen is "la croix tastes like someone ate a fruit salad and then burped into your water bottle"

Yes I know about citruse and I usually add some anchor scent. And yes in these cases I would give it away to people who would like it but it was a large batch. I will call it light scented probably because in either cases I need a label. Thanks for your ideas.

Some FOs don't stick in soap, just like some EOs. Citrus scents in particular can be like that, whether FO or EO. Best way to find whether the scent sticks is to do a test and find out from practical experience.

I use a lot of citruses I usually add itsea and clay. Used grapefruit EO in a salt bar with pink clay and the scent was there for about a year or more. That.s why I thought adding a FO will stay in a regular bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the soap version of La Croix. If you like La Croix, that's great, but the memes about it having zero flavor are incredibly funny to me XD

My favorite that I've seen is "la croix tastes like someone ate a fruit salad and then burped into your water bottle"

No, never heard of it but it is funny :)

I would never make a batch "for sale" with ANYTHING untested, including scent. Test batches when making changes so if anything isn't right (scent in soap is totally different than expected, for example) it's not a major issue.

I would take this on the chin and have gifts for friends or something

My lemon scented shave soap faded away to nothing pretty fast, but when I use it I get a light lemon scent. Likely most people will smell a faint scent when they use the soap even though it has essentially no scent dry.

My lemon scented shave soap faded away to nothing pretty fast, but when I use it I get a light lemon scent. Likely most people will smell a faint scent when they use the soap even though it has essentially no scent dry.

I used it and no trace of the scent. It smells like soap.

Haha, I can only smell the oils in soap with no scent added. "soap" like Ivory smells like scented soap to me, not unscented.

Sense of smell is highly variable, so someone else may still detect the original scent while you smell nothing at all, or worse, the fats in the soap and not the added scent.

Sadly, you are stuck with "unscented" soap at this point. Future options are to add more scent and hope it sticks, try clay or some other "anchor" knowing that such things usually don't work, or find another scent to use.

Me, I use VERY little scent and still find them too much. Was testing some Salty Mariner from Brambleberry, and using ten drops of FO per pound, the scent sticks on my hands after using the soap more than I like. I suspect a lot of people wouldn't detect much scent at all even fresh in that soap!

Latest posts

Back