Salve Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justjen

Reaction score
I've been trying to learn how to make homemade salves and I made a really nice Calendula and Lavender salve out of olive oil and bee's wax (couldnt say exact measurements but I do know I had 6oz of Olive oil) and it seemed to set up really nice and firm untill we tested it two days later and it was super greasy and not as firm as the top was :?:

What can I do to make it less greasy? I know I should melt it again and use more bee's wax because I don't want it as "soft"

Re melt it & add something hard to it.
A butter maybe.
Cocoa, shea, mango or something similair.
Maybe next time split your soft oils with jojoba or sweet almond or something. The skin seems to accept jojoba fairly easily.

I guess it would depend on what you're going to use the salve for. A burn salve would need to be softer then say a salve for bug bites or cracked feet.
I would just add more beeswax and continually check it with a frozen spoon until you get the consistency you want.

Thank you!

I was thinking maybe adding some more wax and a little coconut oil? I guess it really is a "trial and error" process LOL

Back