Salt & sugar in cp soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha just because, I realized I said K-pop which is not another meaning for CPOP because it uses a K not a C. LOL the whole thing was a silly mistake, and way off topic. :)
Lol it's cool still gave me a laugh defo needed it been a struggle today as did not make my new angelic men's soap that I wanted today even ad the salt and sugar water already measured.

Just another soaper chiming in on the sugar and salt thread.
I've been using seawater (brine) in place of my water and adding raw honey (which is plentiful here) to my oils. I SB the oils with my honey (I use 1 oz by weight of sugar ppo) until it's well mixed, then add the brine.
I read somewhere that seawater is approx 6% salt by volume in the semi tropics, so that's what I'm going with. Also, it's fully filtered do there aren't any impurities like silt, sand or creatures.
The one soap to which I didn't add fruit puree is turning out to be REALLY nice.

Any one else use salt and sugar in the same cp soap? how did it turn out?
Hi Linda,
I just posted a link to a soap swap for you in the Beginner's Forum. The participants added different things like salt, sugar, sodium lactate, etc (25 additives in all) to CP soap batches to see how each one affected the lather. Enjoy! Here's the link:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lather-lovers-additive-test-results.71119/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lather-lovers-additive-test-results.71119/

I have seen that thank you for the link though. Edit: I thought that was for me lol.

There was another post about the sugar not too long ago about adding things. Sugar came up. I have an old bag of powdered sugar and since I don't cook/bake much I thought I would give it a try. It is WAY less then the amounts most use but with my yogurt it seems to up lather faster in my Veggie high palm recipe.

Last edited:
I use powdered sugar quite often using 2 oz in my 59 oz batch of oils. I am sure you know powdered sugar is mixed with cornstarch so you are not getting as much sugar as using straight sugar
How does your soap turn out when you use powdered sugar?

I am sure you know powdered sugar is mixed with cornstarch so you are not getting as much sugar as using straight sugar
I didn't know that. ILST (I Learned Something Today).
Thanks.gif

I use powdered sugar quite often using 2 oz in my 59 oz batch of oils. I am sure you know powdered sugar is mixed with cornstarch so you are not getting as much sugar as using straight sugar

Hmmm. Is it the sugar, the cornstarch or the combination that gives the bubbly booster? I just use plain granulated sugar but if powdered is better a change may be afoot.

Can I just bump this to add something....

I put in, roughly, 1/8th cup (dissolved in my water) to a 5# batch. I made this batch on the 6th......... of Sept.
At a week it was harder then normal and by today it is ROCK HARD. Well, ok I exaggerated, but it is Hard like it was made 4-5 months ago (CP).
I use a high hard oil recipe so I don't really have any issues with it being hard. But man o man is it ever harder faster. I also need to cut faster then the 8 hours I normally do.
Does NOT make it faster to use and the FO's that take time to morph back to what they should be still need their allotted time.

So for all of you that thought about trying this, TRY IT. You really have nothing to lose.

I'm really rubbish at math and that lot so is it always figured at 2%? and how would I go about figuring out how much is needed in grams?
Maby this helps?
So lets say that you have 1250 gram
That is 100%
To calculate 1% you have to take out the zero's
(I my head I move a dot from the back to the front)
So 100% = 1250 gr
Then 10%= 125.0 gr
Then 1%= 12.50 gr
Then 2%= 25.00 gr (2x1%)

Can I just bump this to add something....

I put in, roughly, 1/8th cup (dissolved in my water) to a 5# batch. I made this batch on the 6th......... of Sept.
At a week it was harder then normal and by today it is ROCK HARD. Well, ok I exaggerated, but it is Hard like it was made 4-5 months ago (CP).
I use a high hard oil recipe so I don't really have any issues with it being hard. But man o man is it ever harder faster. I also need to cut faster then the 8 hours I normally do.
Does NOT make it faster to use and the FO's that take time to morph back to what they should be still need their allotted time.

So for all of you that thought about trying this, TRY IT. You really have nothing to lose.

How big your batch is? I experimented adding different % of salt to a controlled batch of soap at different times, the more % I added the harder the soap is, I noticed after certain % the lather was cut tremendously .

How big your batch is? I experimented adding different % of salt to a controlled batch of soap at different times, the more % I added the harder the soap is, I noticed after certain % the lather was cut tremendously .
I put in, roughly, 1/8th cup (dissolved in my water) to a 5# batch

Back