Salt Soap sticking to silicone mold?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlicesWonderhands

Reaction score
uggh. I seem to have had nothing but issues with this mold. I can see how it is great for the salt bars, but every bar has stuck in the corners! what am i doing wrong? i see that alot of people are having the same issue.
Im using a 100% coconut oil recipe with 100% salt. this recipe has been great for me.
i think i am going to either use a small amount of cooking spray or olive oil to grease the mold.
has anyone used this?
i have also been dong a hp method in my log mold. i switched to cp in silicone molds to get more "professional" and have had nothing but issues. gellling, no gelling, spots, sticking. its disheartening. any wisdom?

If you want to grease the mold use mineral oil. Olive oil and any true oil will saponify and will not help release the mold.

Also you can try freezing the soap before you unmold, I've done that with loaf molds and it does help.

any wisdom?

If you're looking for wisdom, I'm probably not the right person to ask. :)

All silicon is different. My Crafter's Choice silicon is great and I love it, but soap tends to stick. My cheap $30 wood and silicon mold off eBay is not so great, but soap does not stick.

Although I've heard of Pam and olive oil, it would seem to me that the lye monster would be just as happy to saponify that in the corners and leave you with sticking soap. But I haven't tried it.

I tend to use a bit of mineral oil, applied with a Q-tip, and wait until the soap is like a good cheese before releasing it.

The other thing that helps a lot, particularly if I need to cycle my molds faster, is putting them in the freezer for two or three hours. Then remove and unmold. Frozen soap sticks to itself much better. Then cover for a while to keep it from getting water condensation all over it.

Use mineral oil or vaseline if you want to oil your molds. I use a very thin layer of vaseline with my milky way molds and it works great. How long are you leaving your salt bars in the molds? I've found they need to sit in the molds long enough to get really hard or they crumble on the edges or stick a bit.

Put it in the freezer for an hour or so. I have one square rigid silicone mold, think it may be from WSP, that will not release any way other than freezing for me. It is a size I love for test batches

we greased with olive oil. worked GREAT! had a few small bubbles in the finish of the bar, but nothing that looks bad. WE GOT CORNERS! :clap:

Back