Russian Cambrian Blue Clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmbyx

Reaction score
In about a week I will be speaking with the CEO of the company producing Cambrian Blue Clay in Russia. I have a list of questions to be addressed and I thought I would let you know in case there is something you guys would like me to ask on your behalf.

There is very little information available regarding this clay, so feel free to let me know and I will add your questions and concerns to my list.

I have used this clay in my CP soap, facial masks and hot bath and am very pleased with it. The clay has a million uses and this is a great opportunity to find out more about it.

Do you like the color it imparts in soap? Is it blue or more of a grey color? Please let us know the info you find out - I am interested in this clay as well.
Carolyn

carolyntn said:
Do you like the color it imparts in soap? Is it blue or more of a grey color? Please let us know the info you find out - I am interested in this clay as well.
Carolyn

In cp soap it comes out more of a grey color.

there have been reports/rumors of microparticles (the bad ones) in the clay...I would like to know how it compares to other clays currently being used in B&B products.

thank you for keeping us updated!

Genny said:
carolyntn said:
Carolyn

In cp soap it comes out more of a grey color.
Personally, I do like the grey-ish color of the clay in my soap Altai Botanicals – bmbyx. The color is more intense in facial masks, but grey is pretty cool. In my link it shows various shades it can take.

dirrdee said:
there have been reports/rumors of microparticles (the bad ones) in the clay...I would like to know how it compares to other clays currently being used in B&B products.

thank you for keeping us updated!

That’s a good question dirrdee.

Cambrian Blue Clay in currently refined by several different companies. The quality of the clay varies based on its deposit and the process of extraction and packaging. Personally I would be a bit weary of any wet clay packed in plastic bags unless the safety of the product is guaranteed by the company. The clay I currently have in stock is dry and is produced by a very reputable company in Russian Federation. It is distributed through the pharmaceutical chain all over Russia and its neighboring countries. It comes with 10 pages of Certificates of Compliance and Approval from Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, and Belorussia.

However, all documentation is written in Russian language. I speak both, Russian and English, but I have no authority to translate official documents into a different language.

You have a very valid concern here which I will sure to address at the conference call and will keep you posted. :)

Very cool! This clay is mined in Russia as the name suggests? I'm very curious about how it forms, what its made of and the like. What makes it blue? I am already visualizing blue shave bars with this clay and colored blue with woad leaves.

A quick update.

I spoke to the clay company in Russia. So far they only have limited information in Russian language but I insisted on a speck sheet in English. They are currently looking into translating the speck sheet into English and have the specks broken down into %%.

The company will be sending me additional information as well. After I review it I may be able to address the rest of the concerns.

One other thing discussed was language on the packaging itself. As of now there are three languages and none of them in English. I asked if it would be possible for them to have an English version of the box so people could read it. They are open to the language change but only if there are substantive sales in the US.

So far I only have an Etsy shop and a blog, but am working on a website to have a broader exposure so I can increase sales so we can have those stunning boxes in English.

Wish me luck :)

I have never seen that before, I also like the purple...do you know how to purchase it?

When I get to France I will call the company and see if the clays are soap safe (ie. with no added colorants). I will also want to verify where it was mined and what processes are used to determine purity. What other questions should I ask them? I will know more about purchasing once I talk to them. I don't know if a consumer can just call and place an order - but maybe a wholesaler could. I'll let you know what I find out.
Carolyn

I found a supplier with spec sheets a while ago. i can try and find if anyone is interested. importing it is ridiculously expensive.

A quick update:

Due to the rarity of the clay it took a bit of time to track down the INCI name for it. So here we go:

INCI - LILITE

Back