Rosin and ROE, where to buy it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum as well as to soaping. Started about 2 months ago, my first cold processed soap is finally cured and feeling good. I made several hot processed with KOH and dual lye. So far so good. existing and encouraging.
I found the thread about Zany's flaxseed shampoo and really want to try it. I understand, it is for advanced soapers, but I am persistent and curious enough to try.
Now to the point. The recipe requires Rosin and ROE. I searched several websites but not sure if I am finding the right/suitable products. Where are you guys buying it?
Pls share the links and/or some leads.
If there is anything else I need to know about the Zany's shampoo's making process that was not yet discussed in the forums - I will appreciate any guidelines.
Thanks.

ops
I didn't see all these replies until now. I ended up buying both on Amazon and last week already made Zanny's flex seed shampoo. So far so good. I didn't add any scent because I just LOVED how it smelled. The rosin made it smell just like freshly cut pine, I don't mind my whole body smell like it.
Didn't try it yet. Waiting for suggested 2 weeks of aging process.

Hi, I am new to the forum as well as to soaping. Started about 2 months ago, my first cold processed soap is finally cured and feeling good. I made several hot processed with KOH and dual lye. So far so good. existing and encouraging.
I found the thread about Zany's flaxseed shampoo and really want to try it. I understand, it is for advanced soapers, but I am persistent and curious enough to try.
Now to the point. The recipe requires Rosin and ROE. I searched several websites but not sure if I am finding the right/suitable products. Where are you guys buying it?
Pls share the links and/or some leads.
If there is anything else I need to know about the Zany's shampoo's making process that was not yet discussed in the forums - I will appreciate any guidelines.
Thanks.
When you say rosin, do you mean like pine resin? I have bought multiple items from Apothecary's Garden, https://apothecarysgarden.com/. He sells a ton of different resins. Be careful, he has so many different things to try, it could drain your wallet quickly lol. As far as the ROE, I have gotten mine from Lotioncrafters. However, there are lots of different sites that sell it including Mountain Rose Herbs. I have ordered from all three of these sites with good experiences.

When you say rosin, do you mean like pine resin? I have bought multiple items from Apothecary's Garden, https://apothecarysgarden.com/. He sells a ton of different resins. Be careful, he has so many different things to try, it could drain your wallet quickly lol. As far as the ROE, I have gotten mine from Lotioncrafters. However, there are lots of different sites that sell it including Mountain Rose Herbs. I have ordered from all three of these sites with good experiences.

Thank you for sharing that link! ❤️ I am about to do some real damage to my credit card LOL This is the kind of supplier I DREAM of 😁

EDIT: This guy's MO sounds amazing....quote from one of his blog posts:

I am told regularly by concerned friends that I should not share secrets, methods and successful recipes online. I disagree. I believe we are at a stage in our evolution as a global society that all information needs to be shared freely and openly. The internet is our collective brain and even our collective consciousness. We all draw from it, and contribute to it one way or another. The time for hiding things, for secrets and shadows in the world is past. We need to share whatever we have. If we all shared freely and none of us hoarded any resources, there would be more than enough of everything to go around. There would be no lack in the world, no poverty, and likely no war. If we all actively sought opportunities to share what we have, the transformation would be immediate. I also believe whatever we put out there always comes back to us in whatever form we need.

YES MA'AM! ❤️ Definitely the kind of business & person I feel good about supporting with my purchases 😊 I can see I will be spending many an hour reading his blog posts :thumbs:

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing that link! ❤️ I am about to do some real damage to my credit card LOL This is the kind of supplier I DREAM of 😁

I am told regularly by concerned friends that I should not share secrets, methods and successful recipes online. I disagree. I believe we are at a stage in our evolution as a global society that all information needs to be shared freely and openly. The internet is our collective brain and even our collective consciousness. We all draw from it, and contribute to it one way or another. The time for hiding things, for secrets and shadows in the world is past. We need to share whatever we have. If we all shared freely and none of us hoarded any resources, there would be more than enough of everything to go around. There would be no lack in the world, no poverty, and likely no war. If we all actively sought opportunities to share what we have, the transformation would be immediate. I also believe whatever we put out there always comes back to us in whatever form we need.

YES MA'AM! ❤️ Definitely the kind of business & person I feel good about supporting with my purchases 😊 I can see I will be spending many an hour reading his blog posts :thumbs:
For sure! Here are a couple others for you. Northwest School of Aromatic Resin. He doesn't have a ton of stuff for sale but has a lot of good info. Also, check out Scents of Earth. I haven't bought anything from Scents of Earth yet so I can't comment on quality or anything but they have quite a variety. I will be buying from them at some point just to see.

'Wow, this https://apothecarysgarden.com/ has tons of different rosins. Did anybody try to use those in soaps? I wonder how frankincense powder will do in soap. And the dragon blood is very interesting too, it will probably make soap deep red.
Going to buy both now. My collection keeps growing...:rolleyes:
That is one of the things I'm going to try. I have bought frankincense, myrrh, spruce resin, and the animal musk sampler lol. I should get commission from him for putting his link on here hahaha.

I got frankincense, myrrh and mastic too. Really wanted a dragon blood, but they are out of small sizes and I don't want to spend $60+ for something I have no idea what it is. Now have to wait till the end of the month to try it. The most important thing is to actually remember why I bough it, I tend to forget by the time the shipment arrives.:cool: Got stuck with several things that I have no idea what I bought it for already.
And yes, you should request the referral fees. or some freebies. ;)

For sure! Here are a couple others for you. Northwest School of Aromatic Resin. He doesn't have a ton of stuff for sale but has a lot of good info. Also, check out Scents of Earth. I haven't bought anything from Scents of Earth yet so I can't comment on quality or anything but they have quite a variety. I will be buying from them at some point just to see.

So amazing, thank you again! 😊 I bought nearly $300 worth of his products, from resins to tonka beans to roots. Super excited to play with everything, especially tincturing the various items. I came across a large deposit of pitch from shore pines growing near me about a week ago & am still struggling with cleaning & filtering it, wanting to use it in medicinal salves, so having access to these kinds of people who are open to sharing their knowledge is invaluable ❤️

'Wow, this https://apothecarysgarden.com/ has tons of different rosins. Did anybody try to use those in soaps? I wonder how frankincense powder will do in soap. And the dragon blood is very interesting too, it will probably make soap deep red.
Going to buy both now. My collection keeps growing...:rolleyes:

I will be using some resins in some test salves & very small batches of soap when my order arrives. I have some dragons blood in chunk form at home which I have been hemming & hawing in regards to use. I think I'll tincture some & dissolve some in an oil base to test out in the same kinds of products.

I got frankincense, myrrh and mastic too. Really wanted a dragon blood, but they are out of small sizes and I don't want to spend $60+ for something I have no idea what it is. Now have to wait till the end of the month to try it. The most important thing is to actually remember why I bough it, I tend to forget by the time the shipment arrives.:cool: Got stuck with several things that I have no idea what I bought it for already.
And yes, you should request the referral fees. or some freebies. ;)
I was really joking about the freebies. He has a ton of info he just gives away on the website. I'm happy to support his business. It also appears that he attempts to harvest all of his resins and musks sustainably, which makes me happy.

Wow he says what i have always thought. My mom has shared many recipes and has had recipes shared with her only to discover that the person never gave her the true recipe. Her words are “why would they do that?” I agree. To share just means more good stuff is going around than bad. 🤷‍♀️

I am 100% in agreement with that. A business colleague and I caught a lot of flak from others in our specialty field, because we designed and sold a very comprehensive training course for those who want to break into this field. Others in the field wailed and railed about how silly/wrong/short-sighted, etc., we were to share "secrets," and how "they" (the new people) should have to learn the hard way, "like we did!" Wah Wah Wah. So.Much.Whining!

Yes, earning money from the course was nice, but honestly, my business partner and I most relish the joy of training others to be competent in this field. We also tell our students that once they take the course, we are their mentors for life in this area. Years later, they still reach out with questions, and we share whatever knowledge we have to help them - no additional charge, ever.

If we added up all the time invested to create the course, teach the course, and provide lifetime mentoring, we don't even make minimum wage on this course. But we don't care. We see the "experts" in this field getting older and retiring (or dying). Soon, there will be no "experts" left to help others. Why should this knowledge die with us? Why wouldn't we want more competent people, rather than the incompetent ones who, knowingly or not, are messing up other people's lives because they don't know the right process??

I don't begrudge anyone who believes s/he has created something special, and doesn't want to share it. I do think that person misses out on the joy of generosity, but that's the individual's choice. And if s/he doesn't want to be judged for keeping things close to the vest, hopefully s/he will grant that same courtesy to others who make the opposite choice to share freely. :)

Wow, so far off the original topic - sorry, @natik! I hope you found the ROE and rosin you were seeking!

I am 100% in agreement with that. A business colleague and I caught a lot of flak from others in our specialty field, because we designed and sold a very comprehensive training course for those who want to break into this field. Others in the field wailed and railed about how silly/wrong/short-sighted, etc., we were to share "secrets," and how "they" (the new people) should have to learn the hard way, "like we did!" Wah Wah Wah. So.Much.Whining!

Yes, earning money from the course was nice, but honestly, my business partner and I most relish the joy of training others to be competent in this field. We also tell our students that once they take the course, we are their mentors for life in this area. Years later, they still reach out with questions, and we share whatever knowledge we have to help them - no additional charge, ever.

If we added up all the time invested to create the course, teach the course, and provide lifetime mentoring, we don't even make minimum wage on this course. But we don't care. We see the "experts" in this field getting older and retiring (or dying). Soon, there will be no "experts" left to help others. Why should this knowledge die with us? Why wouldn't we want more competent people, rather than the incompetent ones who, knowingly or not, are messing up other people's lives because they don't know the right process??

I don't begrudge anyone who believes s/he has created something special, and doesn't want to share it. I do think that person misses out on the joy of generosity, but that's the individual's choice. And if s/he doesn't want to be judged for keeping things close to the vest, hopefully s/he will grant that same courtesy to others who make the opposite choice to share freely. :)

Wow, so far off the original topic - sorry, @natik! I hope you found the ROE and rosin you were seeking!
Lol let it out sistah! But yes living with generosity makes your own life lighter. Kudos to you

Lol let it out sistah! But yes living with generosity makes your own life lighter. Kudos to you

It also makes our lives so much more abundant when we do this with zero regrets, hesitancy or reticence, because we keep that energy flowing through us, around us & flowing out from us, always. It's a never ending cycle ❤️

So amazing, thank you again! 😊 I bought nearly $300 worth of his products, from resins to tonka beans to roots. Super excited to play with everything, especially tincturing the various items. I came across a large deposit of pitch from shore pines growing near me about a week ago & am still struggling with cleaning & filtering it, wanting to use it in medicinal salves, so having access to these kinds of people who are open to sharing their knowledge is invaluable ❤️
Is the pitch from the pine still sticky or is it dried? If it is still sticky, I would let it cure out on wax paper or something first.

Is the pitch from the pine still sticky or is it dried? If it is still sticky, I would let it cure out on wax paper or something first.

It's dry, in big chunks about the size of half an apple. And full of crud....dirt, bark, lichens, you name it. It was dropping off the trees in great big gobs & landing in the soil & moss below the trees. As dirty as they were, I couldn't pass up those beautiful hunks of medicinal gold once I figured out what they were :)

Latest posts

Back