Pet dog soap bar research

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy2018

Reaction score
Hi,

I did do a search on the forum for a dogs shampoo bar, and spent days reading on this site and off site.
I realize that dog have a different ph range of 5.5 to 7.2.

I'm not looking for a recipe. But more the quality of oils and how they effect dogs.

There is a HUGE massive amount of info on the quality of oils and their properties, and how they function, but its all for humans.
For example coconut oil, is great for (I am sure you all know this, but need the info for my example)
Coconut oil is great for hardness, cleaning, bubbly, but poor for condition and creamy for humans.

I read somewhere, on the forum, I believe, that coconut oil is NOT good for dogs, because its too cleansing, but some is needed, and should not be more then 20 percent.

Here is my question: Where are the ideal conditions for cold press soap for dogs?

Yes / no- hardness - ?
Not too cleansing ?
Yes /no to bubbles ? For the dog or for the persons washing the dog?
Yes /no to conditioning ?
Yes / no to Creamy? For the dog or for the persons washing the dog?

I started with asking about the properties, so I can then further investigate.

I found dozens and dozens and multiple of dozen of recipes online, all with varying pieces of info, I know there is a lot of wide ranging information out there, some good, some not to good, some bad, espeically about EO, this is why I am conducting my own research. But do need to start with

1) the best quality of properties for a dogs soaps.
2) narrow it down to the ingredients that fit into those categories
3) look at the scientific standards for ph for those ingredients
and so fourth

I would like to make the best possible soap for the doggies.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply

Last edited:
I would recommend against using lye soap (CP or HP) on dogs. I'm no expert, but I know that dogs' skin is more sensitive than humans and the high pH of lye soap may be too much to them to handle. I make a modified version of this shampoo bar for my dog, which is a syndet bar, and I can lower the pH to the 6-7 range. It's harder to source materials for syndet bars but I found it much easier to make for personal use.
I don't use any EO just to be safe. My dog is quite sensitive and get allergy easily so I don't bother with testing EOs.

I did some research on syndet, not really thrilled with the chemical. But thanks for your reply.

I did some research on syndet, not really thrilled with the chemical. But thanks for your reply.
Wow, syndet is more for synthetic detergent. I also show that Dove is a perfect example of that, crazy. I have been using my soaps for my dogs for years, and I haven't seen any adverse reactions, and let me say that I am always touching my dogs. If there was some kind of problem, I would have noticed it years ago. But I did notice that fleas come out dead and when I pick out a flea, I rinse that flea in my natural soap, and it's dead on connect. My recipe is simple, not exotic as far as oils go, I do not use EO, just plain soap.

Wow, syndet is more for synthetic detergent. I also show that Dove is a perfect example of that, crazy. I have been using my soaps for my dogs for years, and I haven't seen any adverse reactions, and let me say that I am always touching my dogs. If there was some kind of problem, I would have noticed it years ago. But I did notice that fleas come out dead and when I pick out a flea, I rinse that flea in my natural soap, and it's dead on connect. My recipe is simple, not exotic as far as oils go, I do not use EO, just plain soap.
Thank you Spice.
Do you mind sharing what oils you use?

Thank you Spice.

Do you mind sharing what oils you use?
co, oo, grapeseed, sweet almond, castro (I call this soap Angel Soft), that's it. Just a little story on how I got to use my soap. When I had my dog in the tub, a few years back, I went for the dog shampoo and was out, I thought great. But then I remembered that I had soap out in the garage that had been sitting for years during the hot and cold seasons. I thought, its just this one time and it's so old I am sure its good enough for my dog, this one time. As I started using the soap, the soap bubbles were everywhere and the soap was creamy. I had to stop and look at the soap, "Is this the soap from the garage?" When I first started making soap, I either didnt like how it looked or I felt no one would buy it so I left it in the garage, That soap is the purest soap ever. I found out later, like last year, the older the soap, the better, to my surprise the EO lavender is still there, the scent anyway. I dont think that making a natural soap can hurt a dog unless an EO is used that dogs cant handle. Looking at the ingredients in dog shampoos, are more harmful than my soap from the garage.

I occasionally use bar soap on my dogs. It cleans better, rinses better, gets all the doggy smell out and doesn't leave their skin dry & flakey. My dogs both have short hair and I don't worry about it being damaged.

I use my regular bath recipe but add 10% neem. It would be something like this. I use 5% superfat, no scent or color
50% lard
15% coconut
20% olive
10% neem
5% castor

Latest posts

Back