Rice oil or Rice bran oil. What's the difference?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadiaLW

Reaction score
Hi!^^ I hope you are all having a good day :)

So, I am currently making an Excel table with all the oils usable in soap making, their properties, how they trace, pricing,... But I have a problem with one of the oils.
Apparently, you can use rice oil to replace olive oil. Wich can be useful if I get short on olive oil or just want to change the recipe.
The problem I have is with the naming. I found rice oil in a local shop for quite a good price. But, when searching for the properties of rice oil and how it's used, I found information about rice BRAN oil.:confused:

My question is, is there a difference between rice oil and rice bran oil? Is it the same thing with a different name? I wouldn't want to fail because of the kind of oil used! x)

Thank you in advance for the answers!

Good day to all,
Nadia

I think if it's the one that's used to replace olive oil then it should be the same thing - rice bran oil - and I've never heard of just "rice oil."

Thanks to all for your answers! I have finally found that it's apparently made out of rice bran oil after hours of research. But I will still make sure again at the shop to be absolutely sure. Buying the first oils isn't easy ^^'
Thanks again for answering my rather stupid question :oops:

I believe it is the same, but you could certainly contact the manufacturer to verify that it indeed the same. Also check to see if they will give the fatty acid breakdown and the saponification values at the same time. That would clarify it for you.

Also sometimes rice bran oil is called rice germ oil. So it does have more than one common name.

How it is made is described here in case that helps with comparing an answer given if you contact the manufacturer.

I believe it is the same, but you could certainly contact the manufacturer to verify that it indeed the same. Also check to see if they will give the fatty acid breakdown and the saponification values at the same time. That would clarify it for you.

Also sometimes rice bran oil is called rice germ oil. So it does have more than one common name.

How it is made is described here in case that helps with comparing an answer given if you contact the manufacturer.
Thank you, it's quite helpful :) Still have much to learn! Soapmaking is harder than I thought Oo

Latest posts

Back