Rice Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used rice water; I let my rice soak overnight, then drained off the water to use with the lye (which became almost a gel). Then, I cooked the rice until it was mushy and blitzed the rice, with some of the cooking water, until it was smooth. I added about 25 grams of that slurry to my 1000 gm batch. I also added 1 Tbsp of rice flour. Incidentally, I only cooked up 1/4 cup of rice.

So you add rice water and rice slurry as the lye water. And 1 table spoon rice flour in the oils?

Hi All,
Can I just clarify - you soak the rice for a period of time before cooking it (and for how long do you soak it)? And then use this 'soak water' for your lye solution (removing a percentage of liquid required for the recipe to allow for the cooked rice/water slurry)? And so I'm guessing you don't use a rice cooker, but rather just rapid boil it in excess water on the stove top? And if so, then why bother soaking it - why not just boil the rice in heaps of excess water - enough to have water for lye solution AND to add to the blender for the slurry?
Lots of questions :)

Hi All,
Can I just clarify - you soak the rice for a period of time before cooking it (and for how long do you soak it)? And then use this 'soak water' for your lye solution (removing a percentage of liquid required for the recipe to allow for the cooked rice/water slurry)? And so I'm guessing you don't use a rice cooker, but rather just rapid boil it in excess water on the stove top? And if so, then why bother soaking it - why not just boil the rice in heaps of excess water - enough to have water for lye solution AND to add to the blender for the slurry?
Lots of questions :)
I think Mischief soaked hers overnight.

I don't. Not overnight at least. We have rice cooking in the rice cooker everyday, sometimes twice lol so my water comes from the wash, after the rice has soaked just a lil bit, like 15-20mins. The puree is a bit of this already cooked rice, cooked further in water (just what I need, stove top this time) til it's mushy and easier to blitz.

If I have basmati cooking, which isn't always, then I take some of the excess water used to boil it (like pasta, which will be drained out anyway) and use that.

I have to see if soaking overnight changes anything in soap.... But the water from soaking overnight is good as face wash lol

Thanks @Dawni. So you don't cook your basmati in the rice cooker generally? That's all I usually eat here, unless I'm making Chinese/Thai style food in which case I'll get some jasmine.
What do you think about my idea of just using a ton of extra water (distilled) to boil the rice? I could just cook half a cup or so in about 6 cups of water. that would give me enough to use for the lye solution and make the slurry.

I'll be making my rice soap today. Dawni's right, I did soak about 1/3 cup of jasmine rice all day yesterday (let it soak while I was at work). I drained off the soaking water, then added about 3 cups of fresh water and cooked the rice until it was mushy. I'll be blitzing it in the Magic Bullet to make the slurry. There will be extra, which I will freeze to use in the next batch.

The first pic is the rice soaking; second is after cooking it.

Attachments

• 20201218_081300.jpg
    20201218_081300.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201219_081738.jpg
    20201219_081738.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks @Dawni. So you don't cook your basmati in the rice cooker generally? That's all I usually eat here, unless I'm making Chinese/Thai style food in which case I'll get some jasmine.
What do you think about my idea of just using a ton of extra water (distilled) to boil the rice? I could just cook half a cup or so in about 6 cups of water. that would give me enough to use for the lye solution and make the slurry.
Nope. Local rice for us for daily consumption, in the rice cooker. Basmati if we're channeling dad's side and we're making biryani or curry, boiled n drained like pasta.

I think your idea will work. Anything goes I'd say. The basis of mine was just to use different forms of rice - so the wash is liquid of raw rice, the puree will have liquid and blitzed solid from the cooked rice, and the powder is the solid from raw rice.

I'll make sure to save some for that. Would it be good as a toner, as well?
I think some do that

So tell me @Dawni and @Misschief - is your rice soap quite hard? I've just used my regular recipe, but with the rice water for the lye solution, and the additional slurry, and after 3 weeks it's almost hard as nails! My recipe doesn't usually get that hard until the bars are about 4 (or more) months old!

Latest posts

Back