Rendering my first batch of tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souljasam

Reaction score
So i bought 5 lbs of tallow today. My gf was rather grossed out by me chopping and hacking away at it lol. Suprisingly it didnt smell at all to work with. Its in the oven rendering right now and its been going for about 5 hours. My house now smells like steak lol. Cant wait to use it soon in some soap.

I discovered that I just don't have the patience to render tallow. I hope yours turns out great! I love tallow in soap and I would render it if I had to, I guess, but right now I'm very glad that Soaper's Choice sells it already done. :)

Lol. Im doing it as a test. And im wet rendering in the oven so i can leave it alone for an hour or 2 between checking and stirring. Lol.

I just posted about how I'm doing this on the weekend. can't wait to see how it turns out.. and my dogs will be super happy!

Try and get a hand mincer to mince lard or tallow. It makes the job less gross and gets the fat nice and fine for the rendering.

images.jpg

Good luck with your rendering! I am getting ready to try this myself. I just found a local source for both beef and pig suet/organ fat. I am hoping I can get it ground as I don't have a meat grinder.

Fresh meat really has little smell. I always ask the guys who come and kill our lambs or cows to save me hearts, lungs, kidneys, trachea, liver for my dogs. They plop them in 5 gal buckets and I chop them up same day and dont bother with the refridgerator. The only thing that really smells is the liver/kidneys and that is just the mineral smell.

I am excited to get some tallow this year to work with.

Does anyone know if tallow is the same no matter what part of the body it comes from? For example, fat from bacon, pork chops, and pork ribs - all the same?

Personally, fat from pigs is lard both rendered and raw. Tallow comes from suet which is raw fat from all other animals, you render tallow from suet.

Suet from around organs and such are going to be more pure, rather then having bits of meat and sinew that you hae when trimming it from other cuts of meat.

Last edited:
Actually leaf lard is the fat surrounding the intestines in pigs. It is the most mild lard and the choice lard for cooking, especially pastry. The rest of the body fat has a lot of flavor and is best for soap. As far as most other animals, the fat is about the same throughout the body. Bear fat is a special kind of oil and I personally would love to get some.

Latest posts

Back