recommend a starter kit

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyshopper

Reaction score
Hi all

I have finally decided to take the plunge and make my own soap :)

I am looking for suggestions of what to buy to begin with, I don't want to get too much stuff but the postage is expensive so I want to get enough to last for a few different attempts.

I was thinking
lye
pomace oil
coconut oil
castor oil
cocoa butter

Anything I have missed or anything I might not need for a beginner?

Looking forward to reading the forum and joining you all

Thanks

A lot of it you should be able to find locally - it might be a bit more expensive per gram/ounce, but work out better for a small amount to start off with, especially when you take the postage away.

A good starter recipe is 20% coconut, 50% lard/tallow/palm, 30% olive oil. You could take 5% from the lard or olive and replace it with castor, but I would make it with no castor first of all to really see the difference it makes.

I made one of my first soaps with just lard it worked out ok but a bit crumbly - saved a few bars which are rock solid but lather beautifully then decided to re - batch and discover you can whip it up like frosting.

starter kit

Hi they have one on e bay from oliver brown it has everything you need in it including gloves -Large Soap Making Kit - Hot or Cold process - Next Day Courier Delivery - Kit 1 I b- I bought this one its really good they even provide a couple of recipies :confused:

thanks

I could buy some stuff locally (oils from the supermarket) but I don't know anywhere in the UK that sells lye so as I have to get that online it will work out cheaper to get the oils online at the same time.

My very first batch I think I am just going to use olive oil and lye (start off easy) but I do want to get some other oils/butters ready for the next time.

Does anyone know if I can buy lye off the shelf in the UK and where? this would make it so much easier to start with.

thanks

I could buy some stuff locally (oils from the supermarket) but I don't know anywhere in the UK that sells lye so as I have to get that online it will work out cheaper to get the oils online at the same time.

My very first batch I think I am just going to use olive oil and lye (start off easy) but I do want to get some other oils/butters ready for the next time.

Does anyone know if I can buy lye off the shelf in the UK and where? this would make it so much easier to start with.

Pure olive oil soap takes 6-12 MONTHS to cure. Go with more like what Craig said to be able to use it in a reasonable time frame.

6 months I can't wait that long!

So glad I found this forum for proper advise, that will teach me for watching you tube videos! I saw at least two using just olive oil and lye and they only said to wait the normal 6 weeks grrrr,

You can buy coconut oil and castor in your local Asian store and olive oil, sunflower, soy, lard, tallow and rapedseed in most supermarket. I bought my sodium hydroxide in my local hardware store. The only I buy online is my palm oil, essential oil, fragrance oil and other additives. Sometimes I get my lye online too.

You can get lye (caustic soda) in b&q at £2.99 for 500g or £4.99 1kg - I think it's cheaper in Wilkos but I didn't rate the Wilkos brand

Castor oil is harder to find but I get my from an Indian food store.

I wouldn't use cocoa butter in an early attempt just because it's quite an expensive ingredient if things go wrong.

Fresh skin UK is a great place for coconut oil - 5kg for £13.99 with free postage (they also have fragrance oils at a reasonable price)

And pomace oil is fine (obviously cheaper than olive oil) but bear in mind it will be faster to trace than olive oil

I can't sing the praises of lard enough and at 39p for 250g you really can't go wrong

Hi happy shopper if you live in the UK most hardware stores stock lye even b & q here in Pembrokeshire look in the cleaning products section it's call sodium hydroxide I think check that there is nothing else added to it and you are good to go.

Boots also sells lye. Someone else from the UK mentioned they found Palm oil in cash and carry. They have a bookers in my local town, so will check it out. I definetely use freshskin for coconut oil, it's the cheapest I've found too and there are no additional delivery costs. I totally agree with sonya's, Saponista and Effy's comments on lard. It's really cheap and does make lovely soap.

It is also very well behaved when it comes to not tracing fast, and it simply gives the most luscious lather. Lard is going to be your very good friend unless you have religious issues, or are vegan, vegetarian, etc.

thank you all you have converted me to lard, I shall certainly be using it for my first try. Of course the price didn't have any influence on my decision at all :think:

The only thing I am unsure about is the smell, for the first few goes I was planning to stay away from fragrance but with lard I might need it (I have read it doesn't smell but psychologically I think I need a fragrance). Can anyone recommend an EO suitable for beginners, any smell apart from lavender.

I have read lots of books on soap making but none of them have mentioned lard :( I do want to read Ann Bransons book which I think advocates it.

Can't wait to go shopping, I will now be sourcing everything locally, then just need to wait for my thermometer to arrive and my young son to go out for the day and I can get started.

Lemongrass is one of the more common EOs that should also be well-behaved for a beginner. Lavender, while common, isn't the most well-behaved of scents. :)

Latest posts

Back