rancid/old olive oil on soaps...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried that tip and it works very well.
Thank you so much for sharing this information. I have 3 litres of cold pressed coconut oil bought for cooking but it has got a little foul smell now. I was so much worried as I have to throw it away. After going through this post, I'm really happy and gonna make soap out of it. While I was searching on how to reuse rancid oils I came across this post.

http://handmadesoapcoach.com/dont-throw-out-that-rancid-oil-make-soap/
I read that we can directly make soap out of rancid oils with no lye discount. I think this is more easier. Actually I'm planning to make a laundry soap bar. So I'll try this and will update. Thank you..

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I have 3 litres of cold pressed coconut oil bought for cooking but it has got a little foul smell now. I was so much worried as I have to throw it away. After going through this post, I'm really happy and gonna make soap out of it. While I was searching on how to reuse rancid oils I came across this post.

http://handmadesoapcoach.com/dont-throw-out-that-rancid-oil-make-soap/
I read that we can directly make soap out of rancid oils with no lye discount. I think this is more easier. Actually I'm planning to make a laundry soap bar. So I'll try this and will update. Thank you..
I caution you to make only a small batch and then decide for yourself if the rancid odor is truly gone and if not decide if you can tolerate the smell.

I once made soap with rancid oil, using the method the 'clean' rancid oil prior to making the soap. The soap continued to smell like rancid oil. It turned yellow with DOS very quickly and the smell only got progressively worse. I could not tolerate washing my hands with it because the rancid odor lingered on my hands. I would never have been able to tolerate using towels or wearing clothing that had been washed in it.

I caution you to make only a small batch and then decide for yourself if the rancid odor is truly gone and if not decide if you can tolerate the smell.

I once made soap with rancid oil, using the method the 'clean' rancid oil prior to making the soap. The soap continued to smell like rancid oil. It turned yellow with DOS very quickly and the smell only got progressively worse. I could not tolerate washing my hands with it because the rancid odor lingered on my hands. I would never have been able to tolerate using towels or wearing clothing that had been washed in it.
I agree 100% with this. Some of my only DOS came from making soap with rancid oils. It smelled terrible from the start and had ugly spots within hours - spots that spread as it “cured.” I say “cured” because I think there was more rancidity developing and spreading than there was any curing.

Sure ma'am. Thank you for your reply.

Latest posts

Back