Questions about using cream in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danahuff

Reaction score
I know this ground has been covered, so I apologize, but I just couldn't find the information I was looking for.

Those of you who use cream, what color will natural soap be? I know goat milk discolors to a tannish color, but I wasn't sure about cream.

The other question I had was about when to add it. I read posts by some of you who add at a thin trace. What about subbing for half the water and adding the cream to the oils? Or is it better to add a small amount at trace? How do you recommend using cream?

I use cream by freezing and replacing half of the water with the cream used for the lye; similar to using Goat's Milk. I pour at cooler temps and use cold lye and the bars color to a creamy tan color. I think it depends on what temp you pour how the the color will turn out in the final bar. I mostly use coconut milk cream.

The way I do it is to use cream as a percentage of the liquid and distilled water for the rest. I dissolve the lye in the distilled water and add that to my oils. At thin trace I add the cream. You can add the cream to the oils and blend well and then mix in the lye. Do not let your soap gel or it will turn a light tan. Put your soap in the refrigerator or freezer as soon as it goes in the mold. This should keep the soap a nice cream color if you use the method I listed.

The way I do it is to use cream as a percentage of the liquid and distilled water for the rest. I dissolve the lye in the distilled water and add that to my oils. At thin trace I add the cream. You can add the cream to the oils and blend well and then mix in the lye. Do not let your soap gel or it will turn a light tan. Put your soap in the refrigerator or freezer as soon as it goes in the mold. This should keep the soap a nice cream color if you use the method I listed.

Thanks! I will try it! I was thinking of making a peaches and cream soap today, and I wanted to use the cream I had, but I wanted a creamier color. Not gelling sounds like it will be just the ticket.

I use cream by freezing and replacing half of the water with the cream used for the lye; similar to using Goat's Milk. I pour at cooler temps and use cold lye and the bars color to a creamy tan color. I think it depends on what temp you pour how the the color will turn out in the final bar. I mostly use coconut milk cream.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of coconut cream. I have heavy whipping cream. Since I hadn't used it before, I wasn't sure what to expect about color change. You answered my question.

This is what I do. (works with goats milk, cream, coconut milk...) I add milk of choice either straight from the fridge or room temperature to my room temp oils, (50% of total liquid) emulsify with the stick blender until smooth and creamy. Then I add in the remaining cooled 50% lye/water solution. I have never had problems with scortching or burnt milk or bad smell. They always turn out a nice creamy color.

Ive frozen it (cream or milk) and mixed it with water, done partial water and than added it cold at trace and added it with water at a slushy, not-yet-frozen state. They all worked and came out nice and creamy, except for one that i did hp (so of course that one was darker colored).

Latest posts

Back