Question About Solid Dish Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad breaks out in a rash if he uses antibacterial dish soap.
Cheers
gww

ah okay thank you @KiwiMoose so i guess i'll give it a try to find out 😆
since it's 0 SF.... can i try making a small batch with say 50gr or 100gr of coconut oil? or thats too little and i still need min around 500gr of oil like body bar?

since it's 0 SF.... can i try making a small batch with say 50gr or 100gr of coconut oil? or thats too little and i still need min around 500gr of oil like body bar?
No - try a small batch to see how you like it. Just bear in mind that 100% CO will move very quickly so making a slightly bigger batch will be easier to work with ( in terms of fluidity while mixing). Maybe try 300? That will give you two big or three average sized bars.

I would go with 100g or more, particularly if you have to round the lye measurement to the nearest measurable amount as most of us do. For dish soap, you'll want to round up so it's a slightly negative SF, which should cure out to a 0%SF over the month or two that the bar is losing water. The less material you're starting with, the smaller the margin of error on measurements.

Also, coconut soap can harden extremely fast, and heat up in the mold (brick in less than 4 hours). You will most likely not be able to cut it into bars, so you will need to use individual molds. If your molds aren't very big or you don't have very many, a small batch is ok.

One more note: small batches can saponify much more slowly than medium-sized ones. Not entirely sure why that is, but if you go too small, it may take you the better part of an hour to stir it to emulsion (it might thicken in a hurry once you get it there). I recommend making a batch big enough to use an electric (or battery-operated) mixer to speed things up, just in case the mixture doesn't make much progress progress towards emulsion in the first 5-10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back