Question about master batch lye volume and storage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kim :)

SaltedFig -- Your method also works for American fluid ounces and ounces (by weight) because 1 fluid ounce of water = 1 ounce of water (by weight).

You're asking people to measure the volume of water rather than its weight. That's a good idea especially for people with smaller scales. Also you've simplified the math a bit in that 1.5/2 = 0.75. But otherwise we're both in agreement as to method. That's good.

Good to know my simplification works for imperial as well, thanks :)

KimT2au, I empathize with your need to use containers that your hands can safely manage. My waning strength is something that I was not at first ready to face because I prefer to think of myself as that young woman who could manage seemingly anything. Until the day I couldn't lift a 5-gallon water bottle onto a water stand and it fell on the floor, breaking and water went everywhere. I have also learned to face reality and accept that I can no longer safely handle too large or too heavy objects, particularly when filled with caustic liquids!

I have been using a 1 liter container for my masterbatched lye. It's a simple cylinder without any handle. I find it difficult to hold the container and pour when it's full due to the weight and lack of a secure way to grip the dang thing. It's just big enough around that I can't grip it securely. I've recently replaced it with a "carboy" that has a nice handle, and I expect that will work much better.

I hope your 2 liter jugs have a good handle or other design that lets you securely hold them. They're going to weigh up to 6 1/2 pounds (3 kg) when full and that's a lot of weight to deal with when trying to delicately pour. Just sayin'. ;)

I use one of these:
A214FCD5-4EAE-4E37-B4D7-700C49F22EB3.jpeg

KimT2au, I empathize with your need to use containers that your hands can safely manage. My waning strength is something that I was not at first ready to face because I prefer to think of myself as that young woman who could manage seemingly anything. Until the day I couldn't lift a 5-gallon water bottle onto a water stand and it fell on the floor, breaking and water went everywhere. I have also learned to face reality and accept that I can no longer safely handle too large or too heavy objects, particularly when filled with caustic liquids!

Oh, I know what you mean about having to face up to your limitations @earlene , the point I have found difficult to accept is my limited ability to walk due to the arthritis and as I am in my early 50's it is no joke. I also hate that I walk with this awful lurching/limping gait as the pain in both knees makes spreading my weight evenly across them difficult. The arthritis in my hands I have had since I was in my 30's I find that easier to accept and know what I can and cannot manage.

I have been using a 1 liter container for my masterbatched lye. It's a simple cylinder without any handle. I find it difficult to hold the container and pour when it's full due to the weight and lack of a secure way to grip the dang thing. It's just big enough around that I can't grip it securely. I've recently replaced it with a "carboy" that has a nice handle, and I expect that will work much better.

I hope your 2 liter jugs have a good handle or other design that lets you securely hold them. They're going to weigh up to 6 1/2 pounds (3 kg) when full and that's a lot of weight to deal with when trying to delicately pour. Just sayin'. ;)

I got 2lt poisons containers with safety lids from my lye supplier, although the safety lids are sometimes almost impossible for me to open. Those lids on the tubs of lye where you have to squeeze and turn are the worst. The shop also put the caution stickers on for me. I plan to only fill each container about half to 3/4 full at the most.

I don't use commercial washing products and neither do any of my family so I have no access to anything like that. However ... I have just ordered a bottle of a laundry detergent so maybe it will be that type.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back