pureed cucumber

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
I am wanting to add some pureed cucumber to my soap. Should I add it at trace or use it in my lye solution as a replacement for some of the water? thanks!

hmm, I only pureed cucumber once, and that was cphp - I added it after gel and it was fine (small amount tho). I think I remember reading that you can add it at trace, and the weight of the cucumber puree should be included in the total water weight. But keep in mind that lye is harsh - if you were adding the cucumber for any special reason, they lye will likely eliminate it.

I freeze the cucumber puree. After dissolving the lye in half the amount water or aloe juice, I add frozen cuke cubes to equal the total amount of liquid required and stir until completely liquid. After the lye/cuke/water mix cools down, I pour it slowly into the oils. The soap unmolds a lovely green - then fades to tan after a few weeks.

I have never soaped with cucumber but I do soap with cactus leaf. I puree the cactus (turns into a thick slime) and use it to replace 100% of my water. It's one of my favorite soaps.

Cool! My mom used to make prickly pear jelly when we lived out West. What do you think the cactus adds to the soap? Does it stay green, or like cucumber, turn tan?

Antioxidants from Cactus for Natural Skin Health
By MyChelle Dermaceuticals

Did you know that cactus extracts have unique abilities to prevent moisture loss in our skin?

Cactus extracts contain copious amounts of phytochemicals to promote increased immune function, and high levels of potent antioxidants. These antioxidants neutralize free radicals and protect against future cellular damage and premature aging.

Generally, moisturizers are designed to preserve the skin’s natural oils, which prevent water evaporation from the stratum corneum (the outermost layer of the epidermis). The efficiency of the skin’s barrier function is determined by the stratum corneum’s regulation of water retention and evaporation.

Cactus extracts have unique abilities to prevent moisture loss, a quality necessary for healthy skin. When included in skin care formulas, cactus extracts help prevent water evaporation from the epidermis (outer most layer of the skin) and acts a moisturizer.

This is great news for your skin, since the epidermis layer of the skin regulates water retention and evaporation from the skin. The amount of water in the stratum corneum determines the appearance of hydrated, stress free, smooth skin. Cactus extracts powerful antioxidants may help minimize the development of fine lines and wrinkles, due to its anti-aging potential.

GoddessMama said:
Antioxidants from Cactus for Natural Skin Health
By MyChelle Dermaceuticals

Did you know that cactus extracts have unique abilities to prevent moisture loss in our skin?

Cactus extracts contain copious amounts of phytochemicals to promote increased immune function, and high levels of potent antioxidants. These antioxidants neutralize free radicals and protect against future cellular damage and premature aging.

Generally, moisturizers are designed to preserve the skin’s natural oils, which prevent water evaporation from the stratum corneum (the outermost layer of the epidermis). The efficiency of the skin’s barrier function is determined by the stratum corneum’s regulation of water retention and evaporation.

Cactus extracts have unique abilities to prevent moisture loss, a quality necessary for healthy skin. When included in skin care formulas, cactus extracts help prevent water evaporation from the epidermis (outer most layer of the skin) and acts a moisturizer.

This is great news for your skin, since the epidermis layer of the skin regulates water retention and evaporation from the skin. The amount of water in the stratum corneum determines the appearance of hydrated, stress free, smooth skin. Cactus extracts powerful antioxidants may help minimize the development of fine lines and wrinkles, due to its anti-aging potential.
It is also known for healing wounds.
I made a batch last summer, it is very pale green in color and retained most of its wonderful scent.

Latest posts

Back