50% lye and 50% water ????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I doubled in 25%, 33% of course 38%. What kind of soap does 50% LYE and 50% water produce. Also it’s a rarity that I use water other than when we get snow and I can put it in my freezer so can I still do my cucumber and coconut milk using 50-50 and put it in the refrigerator.?

What kind of soap does 50% LYE and 50% water produce.
I'm afraid that I don't understand parts of your post, could you clarify what exactly you mean? Re: a 50/50 mix, that is what most of us use when we masterbatch our lye water (ie; prepare larger quantities in advance so that we don't have to do it for each batch.) If you search here using the term "masterbatch" you'll find a lot of information about it.

But most people - in fact everyone I know or have read about - add water back in when we make soap from the masterbatch, though, because soap made with a 50/50 lye:water ratio will trace extremely quickly, is hard to deal with because of that, and creates more possibilities that something could go wrong with your measurements/weights and that you end up with a lye heavy soap.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I use my voice activation, and it came out wrong.😰 My question is with the different amounts of lye solutions which one makes a creamier bar of soap? And thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it..

I always CPOP, so my bars are brighter but less creamy than people who don't gel. From the water/lye perspective it seems like the more water you use, the more likely it is to heat (and thus gel) and vice versa, all other things being equal, but I don't have much personal experience with preventing gel. If you really want to use a 50/50 mix (which I wouldn't, based on my post above), I'd soap at RT if possible and then immediately put the loaf in the fridge/freezer.

If I wanted a creamy bar of soap I'd just use a normal lye concentration (33% if you're not that experienced), soap at between RT and 100F, use a non-accelerating FO, and put the loaf in the fridge without insulation.

Latest posts

Back