Psoriasis - suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahhtrue

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My mom has been suffering with psoriasis for a long time now, and has found little relief from it in way of soaps, lotions, medications, etc. I've searched around and have seen lots of suggestions on what types of soap to make and what additives might help. I'd really like to make her a batch of soap, or maybe even a lotion, that will give her some relief. I know that each case of psoriasis is different, but has anyone on here made a batch of soap that has actually helped with psoriasis? I could use some help narrowing down the different oils and additives people have suggested.

Thanks.

Hi Yeahhtrue,
I recently made a batch of Pine Tar Soap for my eczema. It's still curing but I did use a small piece to see what it was like. I scented it with Tea Tree Oil and it seems to be mellowing pretty well. From what I've read in researching, pine tar eases the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis in part by reducing the scaling involved although it is not a cure. As I'm sure you are aware from your mother's condition a cure is rare. Here are some links that I saved about making it. Hope it helps!

Look towards the bottom of the page
http://www.millersoap.com/castile.html

http://southernsoapers.com/news/soapmak ... -pine-tar/

It's an auto immune disease I believe and the cure has to come from the inside/out. I have a small patch on my lower arm/elbow which has disappeared now, at least for the moment.

I have made a soap for a lady at work who has shocking psoriasis but she is still testing it and I don't see any improvement at this stage. I made it without coconut oil.

If your mum isn't on fish oil supplements, then I would put her on a one-a-day fish oil capsule, along with evening primrose oil. Check with a health professional first though.

Next, I would get her eating plain, organic yoghurt with bifidus and acidophilus. Now this will surprise you, when I was eating the yoghurt, I decided to put some on my psoriasis. Almost instant relief from the itching. I think I put it on about 4 times in one day and by the end of the day, I could see improvement. Worth trying.

You can also make soap with organic yoghurt.

I don't have any experience with psoriasis, but I do get little patches of eczema on my hands from time to time. Everyone's different but in my case the best soap is one that's just non-irritating. When I have the little outbreaks I switch to a really mild unscented soap and that seems to help. None of the special soaps or lotions with different plant extracts or special oils ever helped mine at all, but that may just be my skin.

I haven't made a batch of soap yet, but so far goat milk soap is the best for my super-sensitive-eczema skin. Spearmint and cinnamon oils are potential irritants. A few years ago I had to switch over to only natural skin care because of the eczema (a-topic dermatitis). For a long time the only soap I could use was labeled 'vitamin E soap' and only contained vitamin E oils and glycerin.

Shi Kai Borage lotion helps my skin from the external perspective. Borage oil and Evening Primrose oil capsules were the only ones that helped by taking internally.

http://www.shikai.com/products/borage_order.htm

Derma E also makes a psoriasis cream that may be helpful.

http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe ... dei.portal

I make BDG soap and have been told several times, unsolicited, how it helped with skin conditions including psoriasis.

I think it has to do with the high level of glycerin. Glycerin soaps are know to help skin conditions.

knicelyr said:
I make BDG soap and have been told several times, unsolicited, how it helped with skin conditions including psoriasis.

I think it has to do with the high level of glycerin. Glycerin soaps are know to help skin conditions.

That would be correct Rick (IMHO). I add glycerine to my clay soaps and that has been the most helpful to me so far. It's just that between internal therapy and external therapy, it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint what has had the most effect. I wasn't sure whether it was my soap or the capsules or even the change of weather, that had caused the improvement in my arm.

Light therapy is the best for that isn't it? Timed sunlight or tanning studio sessions - I think you've got to gradually increase your time in it. Its about getting the right UV rays and its suppose to be the best treatment for it. Get your Mum to google it if she hasnt heard of that already (although her Dr should have told her about it). It much more effective than any soaps or lotions :)

Cuckoo Bananas said:
Light therapy is the best for that isn't it? Timed sunlight or tanning studio sessions - I think you've got to gradually increase your time in it. Its about getting the right UV rays and its suppose to be the best treatment for it. Get your Mum to google it if she hasnt heard of that already (although her Dr should have told her about it). It much more effective than any soaps or lotions :)

Yes, my doctor told me to do that too CB but it depends on what medication you're on. My Doc once gave me an ointment that specifically stated not to go out in the sun while using the ointment. Needless to say, I scrapped the ointment and opted for the sun.

Nice to read of so many things which have helped.

I've had good reports on the pine tar soap I've given to a couple of folks. Recipe is EVOO, lard and 20% pine tar.

My Psoriasis treatment

11 years ago I had a breakout of psoriasis. After going to the dermo and applying all the greasy gooey balms they dispense, over the counter products and some homemade recipes I finally found what works for me.

Epsom salt baths. No fragrance. No oils. Just plain epsom baths.

For some reason applying moisture or products that put a barrier on the scaley patch does not work for me. Infact it makes it much much worse.

Try it or recommend it to someone you know with psoriasis. What do you have to loose?

The home care people here in town have been recommending my Goat's Milk & Honey soap for their senior patients with psoriasis as well as excema....I do a high OO soap with GM< for liquid & honey at 1 tsp PPO - soaping at room temperature....

I think wheat germ oil is supposed to have a good effect on those skin conditions.

Kveðja
María

Here in Hong Kong. I use Gromwell Root and soak it in OO for about a month then use it to make soap. Very good for eczeme and also good healing properties.

Not sure if you can get it in US. Try to ask for it in Traditional Chinese medicine shop, they might have.

Just make sure to use the root not the leaf, and one you put them in OO your OO will turn deep red or purple too.

my husband swears that my sea salt soap works wonders with his psoriasis. I also make a shea butter balm (unrefined shea) that he puts on after his showers. Both seem to have some effect, and although it isn't completely healed and gone, he is having relief from the itching and the breakouts are fewer and further between.

From research, epsom salts are good for relaxing the body and relieving inflammation . . . for skin issues, salts can be harsh, aggravating, and extremely drying. Just keep testing different things, everyone's body chemistry is different and products that work for some, will make others break out! Be careful and make your mom keep trying new products :)

Natural Emollients

try these for treating your mother's skin associated with dryness cause by psoriasis, diet is very important also. Find out if she's allergic to dairy and/or gluten, if she hasn't already taken these allergen tests. Essential oils that will help relieve psoriasis symptoms and treat its side effects;

• Chamomile
  • Lavender
  • Rose
  • Evening primrose

I made a batch of Pine Tar 20% soap a while back and I used near on a kilo on my dodgy knee to no effect.I have now gone back to wearing shorts and eating plenty of canned Tuna and the itching has eased up great heaps so the light and the fish oil seem to hold the key to temporary relief for me. :D

When you examine the diet of some people suffering from Psoriasis, it can be pretty appalling what they are eating. No wonder the body is in crisis.

I was speaking to my aunt on the phone tonight (sever psoriasis sufferer) and asked about what she was eating. Yep, lots of red meat and carbs and not too many vegetables.

I suggested that she have yoghurt every day and she was worried that it would make her fat (she is 78 ). I then suggested that she should eat a big salad every day and include as many raw veg as she can (capsicum, cabbage, carrot, cucumber etc etc) as well as lettuces and tomatoes. She said "What? Every day?"

LOL - I give up. :wink:

yeahhtrue said:
Hey guys,

My mom has been suffering with psoriasis for a long time now, and has found little relief from it in way of soaps, lotions, medications, etc. I've searched around and have seen lots of suggestions on what types of soap to make and what additives might help. I'd really like to make her a batch of soap, or maybe even a lotion, that will give her some relief. I know that each case of psoriasis is different, but has anyone on here made a batch of soap that has actually helped with psoriasis? I could use some help narrowing down the different oils and additives people have suggested.

Thanks.

Soap isn't a drug and it shouldn't be suggested or implied that it will do anything other than cleanse.

My advice would be to see a doctor, who can review her medical files and determine if there is anything that can be used safely, that may aid in this condition.

Latest posts

Back