Potato Starch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m on a roll today 😂. Was just at the food store looking for xanthan gum and came across this. Been reading some threads where some people use potato water as their liquid to make soap and wondering if anyone has used this in their soap. I wonder if it would give the same effect that using the potato water or rice water does. I wonder if it would add a silky feel to the soap. I haven’t opened it yet, but It feels super fine and powdery through the package. I guess it’s worth an experiment! If it’s useless in soap I can use it in cooking to thicken. Absolutely zero nutritional value. I don’t know why I expected it to contain sugars but it doesn’t.

Attachments

• IMG_7555.jpeg
    IMG_7555.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7556.jpeg
    IMG_7556.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
In the non-soapy world, potato starch is really wonderful for frying. I use it to make Agedashi Tofu, Korean Fried Chicken, Pajeon, etc 🤤 Makes things so crispy!

Haven't tried it in soap personally, but maybe it should be added to my list of things to try too : )

In the non-soapy world, potato starch is really wonderful for frying. I use it to make Agedashi Tofu, Korean Fried Chicken, Pajeon, etc 🤤 Makes things so crispy!

Haven't tried it in soap personally, but maybe it should be added to my list of things to try too : )
That just sent me down a rabbit hole of recipes using potato starch! 😂

I used potato starch in soap once. I mixed some in distilled water and added my 50:50 lye solution. It became a gummy mass on the bottom of my container.
Yikes! Well, maybe I’ll try adding it to the oils and stick blending it in well before the lye. I’ll be sure to keep this a small batch just in case!

Latest posts

Back