Please help, layered soap problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBien

Reaction score
I made a layered soap about 10 days ago and the layers are coming apart. It is my first attempt and I read about spritzing with alcohol, but I didn't do that because I thought that was for MP. Should I have done this treatment, or something else? And, is there ANYTHING that I can do now to keep those layers together?

Thanks,
Stacie

How did you make it? When I have made layered soaps I have either poured one color gentley on top of the other layer or waited for one layer to start to gel and poured the second layer.

Well, that's where I might have made my biggest mistake. I waited for two days to pour the second layer...

Yup that could be a problem - I always let the first layer set up a bit and then gently pour my second layer on top of that....

I'm sorry it didn't work for you - I'll bet it was really pretty. Don't give up on it though I'll bet you've got two separate and pretty bars to use?

i have read where others have done cp soap layers over the course of a couple of days. i have not. i pour the first layer and then make the next one up and usually by that time the first one is solid enough to gently pour the next layer. ( pour as low to the soap as you can and pouring over the back of a large spoon will help disperse it evenly and with less downward gravity causing it to sink )

i then make sure it gels good to adhere it all together.

you might find scoring the layer with a fork or something before pouring the next color helpful

When I do a 2-layerd soap, I do it in one fell swoop within minutes of each other. I bring my entire batch to the point of emulsification (not quite to light trace yet), split the batch up in half, and then set the half I've chosen to be my top layer out of the way to the side while I concentrate on the half I've chosen to be my bottom layer.

I scent and color the bottom layer and then stickblend it to bring it to a quick medium trace, and then I pour it into the bottom of my mold.

Then I turn my attention to the top half, scenting and coloring it as desired and bringing it to trace. Then I gently pour it right over the top of my bottom layer which is just beginning to set up a little by this time.

I've never had a single layered soap separate on me yet, except for my layered soaps in which I tried adding a thin, powdered mica line to, that is. I just couldn't seem to get that mica line thin enough and it prevented the layers from adhereing to each other. Needless to say, I've since given up on those pesky powdered mica lines.

IrishLass :)

The two times I've done a layered soap I poured the first colour into the mold, then made the second batch of soap to pour on top and by the time that was made, the bottom layer had already set up a bit.

I got pretty good results both times doing it this way!

x

i make rtcp mostly now and when i layer in one of my 5# loaf molds i make 1/2 a batch and pour and cover-then make and pour the other half a few hours later.,after the first half has started to warm up a bit and is beginning to firm up.

so far none have separated. i believe for the soap layers to adhere to eachother they need to both be "wet". also i've never used alcohol-i believe you do that when you want m & p "icing" on your c/p soap "bundt cakes".

sorry for your separation-look at it as another lesson in soaping-it's what keeps us all humble! :D

good luck to you!

monet

Yes, another lesson learned. I am going to try to do an experiment though. I'm going to separate them, make hash marks on both layers (where they meet) then mix a small batch and try to glue them together. Who knows, maybe it will work and I hate to just have to toss it because I absolutely love it, well both of them I mean. ;-)

I've done some one day apart from each other (one layer, let sit overnight, then pour second layer), and I've done them where I pour the first layer, let it set up a bit and then add layer #2. The latter one worked a bit better. They stick better.

IME as long as the second layer gets a good full gel, I can wait days or even a couple of weeks to pour the second layer. I've never had a problem doing it this way and they've never separated.
HTH

Back