Pine Tar recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmk3482

Reaction score
I search the forums but couldn't find one. Does anyone have a Pine Tar CP soap recipe they would like to share?

Thanks!

You can use any recipe and sub the pine tar for 20% of your oils . Pine tar is on some calculators . Be prepared to work fast, I mean have everything ready to go , it moves fast . You might want to have somewhere to put the mold for a while , it smells , not horribly , but not perfume either. The pine tar I use has a nice smokey scent when it is cured. If you have any questions , feel free to pm me.

PS I used lard , co , po , and oo . I superfatted at 10%. It is a very soothing soap.
HTH

Kitn

I tend to use about 30% lard in my pine tar recipes, for a few reasons:
- lard is cheap
- lard is slow to trace

The rest I do in soft oils like safflower and olive - olive cause it too is slow to trace, and I like to have a good proportion (50%) of these liquid oils so that I can soap cool

So typically I do 25% safflower (HO), 25% olive, 30% lard, 20% pine tar.

Pine tar hints:
- leave the SB in the drawer
- measure your pine tar out with a plastic spoon and into a plastic cup that you have first poured some liquid oil into (I pour my safflower into the cup, then dump it into the bowl and then use the oily cup for my pine tar - does that make sense?). It keeps the pine tar from sticking to the cup. Or measure it directly into your melted soaping oils.
- soap cool
- make sure your mold is absolutely and completely ready to go
- I don't use palm as it seems to speed trace
- don't bother with a fragrance except maybe some lavender (IME)

There seems to be a range of "stinkiness". The brand I have smells smoky-piney-yummy but I know some is just horrid.

You can buy pine tar at tractor and supply or any large feed store. Horseshoers have been using it for years for problem horse feet. It runs around 8.00 for a can which will last a long time. It really is very let us say fragrant strong but dissipates in the soap over time.
It has been known to be a great soap for eczema, psoraisis,fungal skin problems.

I'd love to but I don't have any around right now and don't know the brand off hand.

Sorry!

Back