PH Test and Appropriate Level

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tblack32002

Reaction score
Quick question for everyone... being new to soap making and having a personal experience with lye-heavy soap (not enjoyable)... what is the best way to test the PH of your soap? In addition, I have heard that not all PH paper (litmus) is created equally. Some perform better than others. What is the best kind of litmus paper to use for this? Thanks for your input.

Most everyone believes that non are accurate. And most everyone relies on the zap test....where you touch your tongue to the soap and hope you don't get zapped :) But if you insist on the ph test, maybe someone here can help you....I don't use them. I've thought about it several times but so many say they are not reliable that I don't want to waist my money.
Good luck.

I used them at first , I don't anymore. You can tell by the tongue test for sure if it is lye heavy .You can also tell by washing your hands with it , how it feels on them .( if it doesn't zap ya).

Kitn

What Kitn and Dixie said. :)

We just recently had a thread on this a few days ago if you want to do some further reading:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... php?t=9726

The only test strips I know of that are supposed to be made especially for testing CP can be bought from a place on the web called LotionCrafters. I've not used the strips from there and so I can't say as if they are good or not, but if you get strips and they give you a reading of anything below 9.5, your strips are not reliable. Good, properly made and cured CP soap will always test out between 9.5 to 11.5 (according to those who have tested CP soaps in the lab with a good pH meter that can be recalibrated). If it tests out at 12 or over, it is lye heavy.

Other than a good pH meter that can be recalibrated (which can run into some $$$), the easiest, least expensive and most reliable method for testing lye heaviness is the tongue test. That's the only test I do. The results are both instant and trustworthy.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

Back