Paper for cigar band labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
What do you use?

Just regular paper? Cardstock?

I have been looking for a thicker paper (maybe not quite as thick as cardstock) that is somewhat textured. I know what I want but I can't find it anywhere!

What do you use and where can I find it??

TIA!!! :)

I use 65lb card stock, anything else seems to heavy, less is too flimsy.

I use it all, even plain paper. I have a crimping tool. I run it though there and it looks really nice...even the plain paper works. You can get the crimper at wal-mart or any craft store. They have the straight or wavy crimpers.

That's a good idea, Dixie! Thanks for the post - I am going to get a crimper. :D

Rhonda

I like to make my own greeting cards and have an abundant supply of scrapbooking papers that are great for making cigar band labels. If you have a scrapbooking store near you check out their papers or places such as Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics. These papers come in a variety of weights. Had some paper with palm trees that was perfectly suited for my coconut scented bars and paper with tiny cheeries for my cherry/almond soap.

If you ahve a Michael's store near you, and you sign up for thier email alerts, you get a cupon pretty much every week. You can get a paper crimper for 40% off or 50% off depending on the cupon they send you that week.

Ashley, if you don't mind using different patterns of paper, this scrapbooking website ususally has pretty good sales in thier "Clearance" pages for 12"x12" scrapbooking paper. www.scrappingreatdeals.com

They're in Canada, flat rate shipping.

Dixie said:
Dagmar, how are you going to use newspaper? ARe you going to use wax paper first?

You rip them into small pieces, throw them in a bucket with water and let them soak overnight.
The next day you get rid of all excess water and use a stickblender till the soaked paper is turned into pulp.
take a container filled with water and put some of the pulp in there. The more you add, the thicker your paper is going to be.
you use a sieve, made out of a frame and some sieve cloth, and run it through the pulp and water blend.

Has that handmade, rustic look...

dagmar88 said:
Dixie said:
Dagmar, how are you going to use newspaper? ARe you going to use wax paper first?

You rip them into small pieces, throw them in a bucket with water and let them soak overnight.
The next day you get rid of all excess water and use a stickblender till the soaked paper is turned into pulp.
take a container filled with water and put some of the pulp in there. The more you add, the thicker your paper is going to be.
you use a sieve, made out of a frame and some sieve cloth, and run it through the pulp and water blend.

i've seen that done on a cable tv crafts program-recycled paper making. they did one that they used drieds flowers and seeds. it was really pretty!

you can go to www.amazon.com and order paper making kits with everything to start. i just wished i had the time...someday! :D

dagmar88 said:
Dixie said:

OIC, homemade paper. Cool. Does it get all the ink out?

heartsong said:
dagmar88 said:
Dixie said:

i've seen that done on a cable tv crafts program-recycled paper making. they did one that they used drieds flowers and seeds. it was really pretty!

you can go to www.amazon.com and order paper making kits with everything to start. i just wished i had the time...someday! :D

I have a friend that makes the recycled paper, puts flower seeds in it and then cuts it into flower shapes to put on the fronts of homemade cards. The recipient then removes the shape from the front of the card and plants it in the garden and gets some flowers. It's like giving a card and flowers, but they have to work a little bit for the flowers. That could be a cool little twist for your soaps. They plant the label and get an extra free gift!!

Sometimes I use pages cut from an old phone book. Lately I've been using wallpaper samples from some books my aunt saved from going to the dumpster where she works.

Scrapbooking paper works well for me, too.

oldragbagger said:
I have a friend that makes the recycled paper, puts flower seeds in it and then cuts it into flower shapes to put on the fronts of homemade cards. The recipient then removes the shape from the front of the card and plants it in the garden and gets some flowers. It's like giving a card and flowers, but they have to work a little bit for the flowers. That could be a cool little twist for your soaps. They plant the label and get an extra free gift!!

I've seen those online. There is a co. that sells them. I think that is a wonderful idea!

lol, at the zoo here, they sell elephant poop paper. it is really and truly made of elephant poop!

oldragbagger said:
heartsong said:
dagmar88 said:
Dixie said:

What great ideas , Thank you ladies :D

Kitn

krissy said:
lol, at the zoo here, they sell elephant poop paper. it is really and truly made of elephant poop!

How in the world do they do that :shock: 8)

Kitn

There is sheep poo paper over here, I think it is so fibrous, added to that it has been processed :lol: once you boil it up, I guess you can use it like any hand made paper solution/ paste (can't think of the right word for the mush).

Oldragbagger said: They plant the label and get an extra free gift!!

That's a great idea! Especially since I'm going with the green theme :wink:

Latest posts

Back