Palm Oil Controversy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a show called "tribe" last night (about this guy who lives with different tribes) and he was living with a tribe in Borneo. All these people wanted was their land rights. They said without the forest they would die, and that they were quickly running out of places to live. Their main form for food is this starch derived from these trees, and there were these big roads to get all the machinery into the palm plantations and it is quickly wiping out their food supply, even though it looks forested, their staple tree can no longer live there. There were many sad and teary tribes people. They said that under British occupation their forests were protected, but their current government doesn't give them any land rights and wants to expand Palm for economic resons.

But anyway, I don't know if soapers could make a big difference - But if enough soapers made a big deal about their soap NOT containing palm, it might raise consumer awareness of the issues surrounding palm, and that palm is something to avoid in other products as well.

I have never used plam, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing as far as soap with vs. without (I have an idea as far as hardness and lather), but I find coconut oil to be really good for lather, and discounted water for hardness or using hard butters and waxes.

I am trying to move away from Palm oil too. I have made soaps w/o it and it's just as good. Especially with rice bran oil (my favorite) and olive, safflower, and more.

But I did get my last palm oil from whole Foods made by Spectrum. It's from a sustainable farm and it's organic too. A bit expensive, but saved me on shipping cost.

I have found a source for Ghanese Palm Oil near me, so I will be using it ocasionally again. Ghanese Palm Oil has not got the issues with Orang-Utans or land violations. It cost the same as the Malaysian Palm Oil and my shop will find out for me if there is a refined / white version available.

I am not overly keen on it, as it leaves me itchy. I may be allergic to it, but it does give a nice orange colour for soaps.

Back