Pain relief/arthritis cream copy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't wrangle an emu but at $60 for 500ml, that's an expensive oil, so not going to buy that.

That's what I paid for it. Cheapest I could find it for without buying a barrel. I only used 80g in a 700g batch and the rest of the oil was mac oil. Just too dear as you say. Painaway uses way less in theirs so I figured it was still ok. Actually they use so little I wonder if it could be dispensed with altogether.

EMU Oil is used in many pain rubs since the oils allows the other components to mm lets say ride along with it as the EMU oil is be more easily absorbed into the skin goes to a much more deeper level than any of the other additives such as lets say peppermint eo can go alone.

Does that make sense? Emu oil is amazing for Eczema problems. I was lucky to buy some years ago and before it became well known and so expensive. Wish it was still good and I had it. I also find it to work very well in lotions that are formulated for pain and I did lots of research on Emu oil in the past and its pretty remarkable what it can do and how different it is to other components you can add to something.

I myself suffer from chronic pain and a few things and am on Dialudid to help control my pain and it alone does not do much but take the edge off. So I know pain and this is where a lot of my issues with chemicals come from. Synthetic things aggravate my pain in many ways. Peppermint is a great EO as a quick fix for many aliments though and I always stand behind natural things as myself I have tried about all the prescriptions and snake oils that were out there and still come back to the true and tried natural things. Although being in my mid-30's and having pain since I was a child helps me deal too :-|

Hugs
Misty

Have you tried WSP for Emu oils? That is where I use to get mine but this was like a decade ago when my son was a little one...oh where do those days go....

Last edited:
So I checked out the ingredients. Did some maths. Tossed the calculator across the room because I suck at maths. Re-did my maths. Had 2 family members check my maths. Realised that suckage at maths is a genetic trait so had a non family member fix and finalise all the maths.

Made some **** cream.

Oh my gosh derpina, i think you are my long lost sibling. And you crack me up. this oils sounds very interesting, i will have to look it up as well, my hubby has a bad back (herniated disk) and even though the oil that i make works well for us both, it always helps to keep looking!

Well recently I began using powdered collagen (from Great Lakes Gelatin company)

i am going to have to look this up! thanks for sharing!

Oh my gosh derpina, i think you are my long lost sibling. And you crack me up. this oils sounds very interesting, i will have to look it up as well, my hubby has a bad back (herniated disk) and even though the oil that i make works well for us both, it always helps to keep looking!

LOL sista suds, most people would fear a genetic link with me. :thumbup: There was this one time Dad took us to the beach when I was a kid in his 10+ year old board shorts, and they fell off in the surf and I was quite sure at that time I was adopted, so hey, you never know.

If you want my bad math/formula/computations of doom/recipe you're most welcome to it. You could play around with the recipe and change it to use what you have. I'm thinking ostrich oil would easily be just as good if not better (emu is easier and cheaper in Oz so it's my hand puppet flightless bird of choice). <-----offer open to all. I make it sound so good bwhahaha.

EMU Oil is used in many pain rubs since the oils allows the other components to mm lets say ride along with it as the EMU oil is be more easily absorbed into the skin goes to a much more deeper level than any of the other additives such as lets say peppermint eo can go alone.

Does that make sense? Emu oil is amazing for Eczema problems. I was lucky to buy some years ago and before it became well known and so expensive. Wish it was still good and I had it. I also find it to work very well in lotions that are formulated for pain and I did lots of research on Emu oil in the past and its pretty remarkable what it can do and how different it is to other components you can add to something.

I myself suffer from chronic pain and a few things and am on Dialudid to help control my pain and it alone does not do much but take the edge off. So I know pain and this is where a lot of my issues with chemicals come from. Synthetic things aggravate my pain in many ways. Peppermint is a great EO as a quick fix for many aliments though and I always stand behind natural things as myself I have tried about all the prescriptions and snake oils that were out there and still come back to the true and tried natural things. Although being in my mid-30's and having pain since I was a child helps me deal too :-|

Hugs
Misty

Have you tried WSP for Emu oils? That is where I use to get mine but this was like a decade ago when my son was a little one...oh where do those days go....

Yep, emu oil is good stuff. I buy it here in Oz but I think ostrich oil is cheaper in some countries and has basically the same properties. I just looked at WSP and Oooo I wish it was here in Oz. I could melt my CC right quick.

Wouldn't it be awesome to find an affordable home remedy for chronic pain. One the big pharmaceutical companies couldn't keep as their own and make a dollar from.

Yes, PLEASE post your recipe! I copied down the info on PainAway to start my own math nightmare, so I would dearly love getting someone else's math!

Here is the info from their website:

Pain Away
proprietary transporter base of DMSO
Ingredients:
St John’s wort, Arnica, Calendula, Cayenne, Menthol/Peppermint, Mahanaryan oil. In a proprietary transporter base of DMSO, pH balanced Limonene oil, and Wintergreen oil

Suggested Use:
Normal use requires only 2-3 drops to cover your entire knee for example. 5-6 drops is enough to cover the entire lower back.

Wash hands before using so as not to carry any germs through the skin

Do not overuse. If needed, reapply in 10 minutes for additional relief.

Use your fingertips to rub in. Avoid using your palms if possible. There is no harm in doing so. You may simply find that your palm warms up for several minutes.

Wash your hands after applying and avoid contact with your eyes. Don’t worry if you do get some in your eyes. It will not harm them, but it may sting for several minutes.

And finally, one of Pain Away’s most amazing qualities is its residual action. You may find it reactivating 24-48 hours after it’s applied when stimulated by a warm shower or by the application of a magnetic field.

And yes, emu oil carries whatever you put with it through the skin into the underlying tissues and from there to the bloodstream. It is what the manufacturers of patch based medicine(hormones, nicotine, fentanyl) use to carry medicine through the skin. I have an acquaintance that is a compounding pharmacist(I am a nurse), and he uses lots of emu oil in topical medications. He says emu oil is why they are so expensive. And no, he won't let me buy any from him. :(

And yes, emu oil carries whatever you put with it through the skin into the underlying tissues and from there to the bloodstream. It is what the manufacturers of patch based medicine(hormones, nicotine, fentanyl) use to carry medicine through the skin. I have an acquaintance that is a compounding pharmacist(I am a nurse), and he uses lots of emu oil in topical medications. He says emu oil is why they are so expensive. And no, he won't let me buy any from him. :(

Interesting so you are saying Emu oil is used in a lot of the transdermal patches? I never knew that. I am allergic to so many so I had to be taken off them. Although I do not think it has to do with the Emu oil and I think it has to do more with the adhesive than anything. Even the generic Lidoderm patches I can not use either but I can use the actual brand ones fine. Now those things are amazing too I must say. Off topic sorry...but I dig information. I am always researching something. Although its my best method I found to date to distract my mind and keep it off my pain too. And it keeps me occupied and busy and something to chat about being I have no real life :lolno:. And all those patches are ridiculously priced not to mention too.

Yes, PLEASE post your recipe! I copied down the info on PainAway to start my own math nightmare, so I would dearly love getting someone else's math!

Here is the info from their website:

Pain Away
proprietary transporter base of DMSO
Ingredients:
St John’s wort, Arnica, Calendula, Cayenne, Menthol/Peppermint, Mahanaryan oil. In a proprietary transporter base of DMSO, pH balanced Limonene oil, and Wintergreen oil

Suggested Use:
Normal use requires only 2-3 drops to cover your entire knee for example. 5-6 drops is enough to cover the entire lower back.

That's a different one. I had no idea there was 2 of them. This is the one I mean - http://www.painaway.com.au/

Have a look and if your still keen let me know. I'll post my dodgy computations in the morning. Almost 2am here. Up because my dogs are going mental barking at roos. I'm thinking of chucking a pot of painaway dupe at em.

I would love to get your recipe! Then I can test the placebo effect on my DH :twisted:.

Katie - I ordered some of the collagen for DH and me to try. Figured it can't hurt (well, except in the wallet) and might help.

Ok, here 'tis, but you get it in grams cause that's how I roll. This is just in a really simple cream recipe I use so you could pull the bits you want out and just add those to your own cream base.

Water Phase
420g Distilled water
25g Vegetable glycerine tincture of arnica flowers

Oil Phase
30g E-wax NF
80g Emu oil
40g Macadamia Oil
10g Mango butter

Final Phase
5g Phenoserve
46g Rosemary EO
5g Sandalwood EO

I'm thinking of doing 120g emu oil next time to see if there's any difference. Wondering about peppermint EO in a batch now too. I normally use different oils/butters but my sister is allergic to them. I'm not into cream/lotion making like I am soap making so please ignore my base recipe if it sucks lol.

Interesting, DMSO in the other one. Now that SERIOUSLY carries things down into the body from the skin. To the point you should really be careful of what you're carrying under the skin. It really freaked a lot of people out when it first hit the market. But then I believe it also was first used in horses, because I remember when people purchased the horse DMSO to use on themselves for pain which terrified some people claiming they were all going to die lol.

Horse cream, interesting. I'm game.

I just had a nightmare phone call. One of my placebo cream users rang to tell me what a great result she had from the cream. Worked a treat apparently. I had to hold it together and not spill the beans and tell her to keep using it for a bit longer. Will have to wait and see. I feel so mean. I turned her into a lab rat. I shall bombard her with free soap later.

Just shows you, if we think we are getting a result the pain goes away. Mind over matter.

I feel so mean. I turned her into a lab rat. I shall bombard her with free soap later.

I read aloud to my husband your story here, and while laughing with me, he added "Ummmm, i used to work in a lab...... the rats didn't get free soap.":silent: ha haThank you very much for posting your recipe. and for doing the math on it :)
and yes, using horse products on yourself is a very common thing. I used to do it all the time :) of course my hair is very similar to horse hair!!!! that's what my mom always told me anyway...... :)

I've never made a cream other than body butter. Are there instructions online which can tell me or show how to make this type of cream?

Hey, Derpina, just askin' -- 46 g rosemary. Isn't that quite a large-ish amount of rosemary for this recipe? Thank you for sharing the recipe -- I was very curious about it!

I'm also curious about the result you'll get from your blind testing. Sounds like you've got one data point already!

Mind over matter ... if I don't mind, it don't matter!

I've never made a cream other than body butter. Are there instructions online which can tell me or show how to make this type of cream?
This kind of cream is a heavy lotion. Heavy lotions (higher amounts of oils to water) are called creams, a very light lotion (less amount of oil to water) can be called a milk. So to make them you would follow lotion making procedure with your oil phase, water phase, holding period, mixing, cool down with preservative. swiftycraftymonkey blog is great for lotion making instructions and recipes.

I read aloud to my husband your story here, and while laughing with me, he added "Ummmm, i used to work in a lab...... the rats didn't get free soap.":silent: ha haThank you very much for posting your recipe. and for doing the math on it :)
and yes, using horse products on yourself is a very common thing. I used to do it all the time :) of course my hair is very similar to horse hair!!!! that's what my mom always told me anyway...... :)

LOL Bet his rats couldn't plot revenge either. I don't have horse hair, more crazy cat lady curly hair. I went and had a Brazilian hair straightening treatment to calm it down then freaked out everyone on fb by posting "OMG I just had a Brazilian. I'll post some pics in a minute". I then just left that message and let them suffer in terror.

Hey, Derpina, just askin' -- 46 g rosemary. Isn't that quite a large-ish amount of rosemary for this recipe? Thank you for sharing the recipe -- I was very curious about it!

I'm also curious about the result you'll get from your blind testing. Sounds like you've got one data point already!

Mind over matter ... if I don't mind, it don't matter!

I was worried about the same thing when I did the math and it came out just under 9% EOs. I looked up safe % uses of EOs in skin care and found a lot of products use them in even higher amounts. Found a lot of conflicting info but went for it anyway. If I put the cream on and turned into a newt I'd know it was a bad idea.

I use my sister as my canary down the mine as such. She has eczema
and allergies. Hey, she volunteered! So far no reaction. She thinks the cream works a treat by the way.

This is one page I was reading about EO usage. Can't find the others. Must start saving things to favourites. http://www.agoraindex.org/Frag_Dem/toxicitymyths.html Would love your take on this DeeAnna.

Ooo and my attempt at using the placebo on myself has failed. I can smell the difference between the batches *facepalm*

Latest posts

Back