Pain relief/arthritis cream copy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is the adhesives. The cheaper patches use a different adhesive. I am allergic to that cheaper adhesive also. I am also allergic to most medical tape adhesives. Only 3M is guaranteed safe for me. I have taken to bringing my own tape to the doctor's office if I am having lab drawn and they don't use Coban.

"...I was worried about the same thing when I did the math and it came out just under 9% EOs. I looked up safe % uses of EOs in skin care and found a lot of products use them in even higher amounts. Found a lot of conflicting info but went for it anyway. If I put the cream on and turned into a newt I'd know it was a bad idea...."

<snort!> A newt, huh? Pretty funny!

Seriously speaking .... I have been working on an insect repellent with 10% EOs that I'm testing for "no-see-ums" and mosquitoes in the Midwestern USA and Belize, Central America. Works pretty well, so far. And it's nice that the lotion I add the EOs to is good for your skin.

From my point of view, if the product is meant for limited use to solve a problem, then a higher % of EOs is acceptable. If the product is meant to be used long term, however, a lower % of EOs is more reasonable because some chemicals in EOs do accumulate in the body. And if the EOs are for fragrance only, then even lower is probably a good idea. I'd say your cream falls in the first category.

On the other hand, I know that rosemary can be nose-twisting-ly potent, at least the stuff I normally use for lotions. I found myself wondering if that much rosemary also clears your sinuses along with your arthritic aches and pains. :)

I should start bringing my own tape... Only I'm not sure what stuff I'm NOT allergic to! Currently they usually always use coban after draws, and paper tape with IVs. But if the paper tape is left long enough I react to that as well.

Seriously speaking .... I have been working on an insect repellent with 10% EOs that I'm testing for "no-see-ums" and mosquitoes in the Midwestern USA and Belize, Central America. Works pretty well, so far. And it's nice that the lotion I add the EOs to is good for your skin.

From my point of view, if the product is meant for limited use to solve a problem, then a higher % of EOs is acceptable. If the product is meant to be used long term, however, a lower % of EOs is more reasonable because some chemicals in EOs do accumulate in the body. And if the EOs are for fragrance only, then even lower is probably a good idea. I'd say your cream falls in the first category.

On the other hand, I know that rosemary can be nose-twisting-ly potent, at least the stuff I normally use for lotions. I found myself wondering if that much rosemary also clears your sinuses along with your arthritic aches and pains. :)
The bug spray sounds good. The limited use versus long term use makes perfect sense. I was reading it looking like a bobble head. Biggest problem I've had so far with the rosemary EO is the cravings it gives me for a lamb roast.

bwahahahaha..... you are twisted and i admire you even more for it.....:twisted:

LOL! Thought I was more bent. You must be just as twisted cause you get me every time :thumbup:. Sometimes I forget to apply a filter between my brain and the keyboard :lol:.

My canary reported back on the cream and is still loving it. Everyone with the real batch is loving it actually. No rashes, apparently great for pain relief and no sudden newtage.

The placebo group (7 people) is way more interesting.

-One I haven't heard from.
-Another one reported really awesome incredible results. 2 days running she called me with the great news. I might never tell her the truth, if she's getting relief I should shut my pie hole.
-3 think I made a lovely moisturizer and that's that. This lot might be on to me.
-2 said it was too early to tell (patient people are sooo annoying).

Well, so reading that back it wasn't all that interesting after all.

I should start bringing my own tape... Only I'm not sure what stuff I'm NOT allergic to! Currently they usually always use coban after draws, and paper tape with IVs. But if the paper tape is left long enough I react to that as well.

I feel your itchies :D. Being a nurse, I had a unique opportunity to test many different brands of tape to figure out what is safe and not safe for me. If your local hospital has an outpatient pharmacy, you could probably go buy a specific brand by the roll from them.

-2 said it was too early to tell (patient people are sooo annoying).

Well, so reading that back it wasn't all that interesting after all.

I am one of those quiet people believe it or not. I just have a twisted sense of humor as well. My mom gets nervous when i get quiet, she is a chatty Cathy, and she knows i am always thinking thinking thinking.... she just doesn't know what :) My hubby is a chatty as well, but my quietness doesn't scare him :)
but anyway, keep those lab rats and canaries on their toes!!!! they dont get this stuff for free for nothin!!!!! :twisted:

I feel your itchies :D. Being a nurse, I had a unique opportunity to test many different brands of tape to figure out what is safe and not safe for me. If your local hospital has an outpatient pharmacy, you could probably go buy a specific brand by the roll from them.
Still have to determine one I'm not allergic to first lol.

The worst is when I'm wearing event monitors. I get the 'hypoallergenic' lead pads but still have to change them daily (usually they last 3 days) so I can switch to new skin, and then apply steroid cream on the blisters left from removed pads. I start running out of available skin pretty fast.

I am one of those quiet people believe it or not. I just have a twisted sense of humor as well. My mom gets nervous when i get quiet, she is a chatty Cathy, and she knows i am always thinking thinking thinking.... she just doesn't know what :) My hubby is a chatty as well, but my quietness doesn't scare him :)
but anyway, keep those lab rats and canaries on their toes!!!! they dont get this stuff for free for nothin!!!!! :twisted:

I swear I'm a total introvert and very quiet (stop laughing). It's just hard to tell cause I'm also a loon.

I'm cracking the whip on the testers right now. 1 is being a git and insisting on being pain free since receiving the cream and not needing it. Gees, how rude lol.

Still have to determine one I'm not allergic to first lol.

The worst is when I'm wearing event monitors. I get the 'hypoallergenic' lead pads but still have to change them daily (usually they last 3 days) so I can switch to new skin, and then apply steroid cream on the blisters left from removed pads. I start running out of available skin pretty fast.

Sheesh Lin, that's just awful. I hope you can find a tape.

Unfortunately I have chronic pain due to a genetic disorder, so permanent relief from pain isn't something I'm familiar with! But at one time or another I think I've tried everything. What works for one problem doesn't necessarily work for another, and of course what works for one person with one problem doesn't work for the next with the same problem ;)

This is a reason we use i.e herbal teas only for 3 weeks then break fro two and you can go back.
Lin you should try whatever you get your hands on. There is saying that for every disease we have there is also natural remedy...
Eo should be in low concentration when they go on skin, 3-5 drops for 1 oz of cream....

Actually I use up to 3% of my Eo blend in salves .............sorry

Last edited:
My sister asked me if I could try and replicate a cream that's popular here in Oz for pain relief and arthritis called Painaway. I figured why not? At the very least we'd have a lovely moisturizing cream.

She uses copious amounts of the goop and at around $20 for 70grams she wanted a cheaper option. She loves the stuff, swears by it. I've tried it and thought it was a lovely herbal cream but I'm the sceptic from hell.

So I checked out the ingredients. Did some maths. Tossed the calculator across the room because I suck at maths. Re-did my maths. Had 2 family members check my maths. Realised that suckage at maths is a genetic trait so had a non family member fix and finalise all the maths.

Made some **** cream.

The arthritis and sports pain relief cream had the same active ingredients listed. I upped the emu oil because they used it at 2%*coughs bad math*. I went for 10%. Again, I figure I might as well end up with a snazzy moisturizer out of this.

To get the arnica in the cream that was listed I made a strong vegetable glycerine tincture. They also include rosemary and sandalwood. The other ingredients are fairly standard for cream. Basically used what I have on hand so it's a different base to the real stuff. So if it doesn't work for pain I guess I can blame that.

The emu oil made for a nice thick cream which goes a long way. Got a bunch of folks trying it so will get feedback over the next week. I'm going to attack the 1st person I see in the household with a bruise and put cream on half the bruise and test the arnica lol. I swear I will not give a bruise on purpose. Genetics will again come into play without keeping me waiting and one of us will walk into a shut door or trip over an invisible edge or something momentarily. We have both a lack of skill with math and poor coordination on tap.

I'm not making these trying to sell them btw, we're just a bunch of cheapos. Each pot cost me $4.35 (including the pot) and they hold 100g. Bargain. Now I'll shimmy back to the world of soap making.
I know this is an old post but am looking for an arthritis cream without emu oil and found your post. I bruise easily too, alwayes walking into stuff and I use basil and geranium eos. Bruise is gone in a few days, works wonderfully 😃.

I know this is an old post but am looking for an arthritis cream without emu oil and found your post. I bruise easily too, alwayes walking into stuff and I use basil and geranium eos. Bruise is gone in a few days, works wonderfully 😃.
Your right, the post is 7 yrs old and the person you quoted to help with an answer to your question hasn' t been in smf for 4 yrs. Try starting another thread of your own for help.

I once had in incident while working on a container ship involving my back blown out due to sciatica, an insane Russian captain, and a tube of ointment written all in German with a bee on the label. He found me gimping about, pinned me down and rubbed it into me. Damned if I wasn't better in the morning. Always wondered what was in it.

@Seawolfe, I think the cream your Insane crew member was rubbing on you may have had bee venom in it. Never used it myself in a cream, but other folks said it works.
My rheumatologist would say some people get stung on purpose every now and then to combat the inflammation. When I kept bees I did this a few times…. I was not a fan of self-stinging to affected area….plus did not see that much improvement. Seemed to be trading one pain for another.

Ohh, I am such a dolt, just saw the date of the original post…. Sorry!

As another person who bruises easily, and who cannot use basil EO in any amount, I can attest that arnica is also wonderful. I believe it is even FDA approved here in the US, as arnica gels and creams are sold in drugstores here specifically for healing of bruises. Taking extra Vitamin C also helps.
I make a lotion with mom, arnica and magnesium... I grow my own arnica and infuse it in oil, then use that oil in my lotions ... I love my arnica!

I make a lotion with mom, arnica and magnesium... I grow my own arnica and infuse it in oil, then use that oil in my lotions ... I love my arnica!
Sorry! Auto text ... MSM, arnica and Magnesium

"...I was worried about the same thing when I did the math and it came out just under 9% EOs. I looked up safe % uses of EOs in skin care and found a lot of products use them in even higher amounts. Found a lot of conflicting info but went for it anyway. If I put the cream on and turned into a newt I'd know it was a bad idea...."

<snort!> A newt, huh? Pretty funny!

Deanna- try some frankincense in your no-see-um cream! I am trying to replicate Sallye Ander’s No Bite Me and I have heard frankincense is great in repellants. Plus, it’s very soothing for bites and rashes. I just love the stuff and can even use it on my dogs.

PS. Love your stories!

As another person who bruises easily, and who cannot use basil EO in any amount, I can attest that arnica is also wonderful. I believe it is even FDA approved here in the US, as arnica gels and creams are sold in drugstores here specifically for healing of bruises. Taking extra Vitamin C also helps.

I used arnica gel all the time. Works great on bruises, inflammation & legs cramps. I have many arnica plants growing in my garden..........

Latest posts

Back