Knock off blue emu cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to make my MSM Emu Oil Cream today. My mother and dear hubby tried everything OTC for arthritis and my cream worked better than all of them, including Blue Emu -- plus it's less expensive! I'm at that age where I use it as well. Before that, I tried duping Blue Emu, but I am unable to access my files at this time because I recently had my iMac updated to Word and all my docs are in "Appleworks". I'm hoping to get some help to translate one to the other, but my iMac tech is unavailable due to "life" interrupting his normal routine like you wouldn't believe. Poor guy. I'll spare you the gory details.

ETA: I found the best price for Emu Oil here: Sun Pure Botanicals

:eek: Somewhere on that bottle there should be instructions to dilute the blend to 1% in a carrier oil!!! (1 ml oil to 99 mls carrier oil) I see this often with people who buy YL and Do Terra oils... they think they can use the drops straight without harm. I warned a lady about that a few years ago. Even offered her a bottle of carrier oil to put her EO into. Just ran into her again the other day. She was sick, lethargic and looked awful... dark around the eyes and saggy complexion.

You will be amazed how well that blend will work once added to a carrier oil. You'd think 1% wouldn't be that effective, but, surprisingly, it is!
I have a Mac and have migrated to Pages and Numbers (Word and Excel-Mac versions) for all my document creation.

Actually all you have to do is go to the App Store on you Mac and download Pages and Numbers (both free). These are the Mac version of Word and Excel. Open Pages,. Then, under file (top of screen) choose “open,” go to where your AppleWorks document is and choose it. The Document will open in Pages . Now you can use it as you would Word. A few minor differences but nothing you can’t get used to. You can save the file as a Pages document, PDF or even export it to Word. I chose to walk away from my Microsoft products a couple of years ago for various reasons and love Pages! You don’t need an expert to help you. Matter of fact, if you just search “how do I transfer AppleWorks documents to Pages,” you will” get a step-by-step tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
...go to where your AppleWorks document is and choose it. The Document will open in Pages . Now you can use it as you would Word. A few minor differences but nothing you can’t get used to. You can save the file as a Pages document, PDF or even export it to Word.
This is HUGE! I get it! I can't thank you enough, Melinda!
Thanks.gif

Doin' the Happy Dance over here...
:hippo::hippo::hippo:

Last edited:
So of the ingredients in Blue Emu, what is it that makes the pain go away? I know emu oil penetrates deep and apparently has some healing properties... the rest of the ingredients though... aside from maybe the plant extracts at the bottom, they seem to be common cosmetic additives that don't have pain relieving qualities?

Trolamine salicylate

upload_2019-7-15_3-17-40.png

To find your answer, go to the Active Ingredients listing on the product label.

Trolamine salicylate

View attachment 40299

To find your answer, go to the Active Ingredients listing on the product label.
Good lord. That should've been the first thing I looked at.:confused:
Doesn't appear the stuff can be bought by an average person (unless I'm not using the right search terms).

Doesn't appear the stuff can be bought by an average person (unless I'm not using the right search terms).

I think salicylate is a form of aspirin.

For purposes of this thread that would make the absolute crudest recipe a few crushed aspirin mixed with emu oil.

I think salicylate is a form of aspirin.

For purposes of this thread that would make the absolute crudest recipe a few crushed aspirin mixed with emu oil.
... that sounds so unappealing. Lol
I'll do some more research and see what I can come up with. I'm pretty sure you're right about the salicylate being a form of aspirin and aspirin can be made from willow bark, so maybe I'll try emu oil and willow infusion sometime.

Yes, it is a salt of salycilates. Aspirin is made with salycilates. Topical salicylates have been on the market for quite a long time (Aspercreme and Bengay, for example.) Emu oil facilitates the topical absorption.

The question would be could the salycilate infusion cross the skin barrier without the chemical reaction of TEA in the first place. I personally do not know for sure, but would venture a guess that the reaction is necessary as topical analgesics with salicylates all seem to be made using a another compound to prepare salycilates for topical application. And even in that case, it is reported that a higher level of absorption occurs with methylsalicylates (methyl ester of salicylic acid) than with Trolamine salicylates. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1873984/)

Trolamine salicylate is a salt formed between triethanolamine and salicylic acid. Aspercreme is one example that has been around a lot longer than Blue Emu.
Methyl salicylate topical products include wintergreen oil and Bengay, among others.

Did a curious search and found 'trolamine salicylate 10% at Spectrum Chemical... $95.25 for 25 gm. wow huh

Did a curious search and found 'trolamine salicylate 10% at Spectrum Chemical... $95.25 for 25 gm. wow huh
Did you find that with Google? All it ever brought up for me was creams with the TS listed as an active ingredient...

Usually I keyword 'bulk buy' first then the 'ingredient' name. Is probably how I googled this.

Whether its crushed aspirin or various forms of salicylate, the size of the molecule also matters. So many cosmetic topicals on the market are useless because of this simple little bit of chemistry - the molecule doesn't fit. As for drugs like topical pain relievers....they may or may not have to pass more stringent tests to prove their efficacy than cosmetics - I don't know.

Dumb here, what is CBD ?
CBD oil has many benefits and not only for your skin, a quick look online will give you a long list of the benefits that CBD oil has on and in the body.
smile.gif
It will never maky you high even if you take it inside

I made my regular devil's claw salve with menthol and added (just for own use)10% of CBD oil strenght 1000 mcg in 30 ml. It takes the pain away in just minutes.
Czmaha I also take internally 10 mg a day :) Works for pains like a charm. the best is CBD oil does not have interaction with meds , none
BTW you can not overdose on CBD oil
it stabilized my blood glucose,
Some kind of protein is not working correctly in my body so the doc (after all tests) told me that it shows that I could get bone cancer, He had done the tests cause I was getting awfull spasms in my back and my legs, From the first time of taking CBD they are gone , had not returned, I am on it for a year already,
Insomnia; I am on half a dose of sleeping pill , for the first time in like 25 years. My anxiety is much lower and managable

Last edited:
Back