Oxide usage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Farm Girl

Reaction score
How much oxide is normally used in CP? I made some soap in Sept and put in red oxide, about 1.5 teaspoon for 2 lb of oil. I haven't used much oxide before. The recipe was a tried and true on. The soap has never hardened, it has a clay consistency. Did I use to much? Any suggestions?

How much oxide is normally used in CP? I made some soap in Sept and put in red oxide, about 1.5 teaspoon for 2 lb of oil. I haven't used much oxide before. The recipe was a tried and true on. The soap has never hardened, it has a clay consistency. Did I use to much? Any suggestions?

Posting the complete recipe would help us more to help you. Though going out on a limb it probably doesn't have anything to do with the oxide if it was only 1.5 tsp that is causing it to still be soft so many months later.

I use more than that in some of mine and it doesn't make it soft.
I agree.. posting the recipe would best as it's likely that.

This is my recipe:
Lard: 42%
coconut: 14%
olive: 29%
soybean: 14%
Lye: 3.8 oz
water: 5.2 oz
10% SF
Looking back at this, the water looks low, but that wouldn't make it have a putty or clay-like consistency would it?
I have used this recipe before, no problems

This is my recipe:
Lard: 42%
coconut: 14%
olive: 29%
soybean: 14%
Lye: 3.8 oz
water: 5.2 oz
10% SF
Looking back at this, the water looks low, but that wouldn't make it have a putty or clay-like consistency would it?
I have used this recipe before, no problems

Your recipe only adds up to 99%. I put the extra 1% into olive oil and 10% sf and got 4.1oz of lye and 12.1oz of water, so you are more heavily superfatted and took a very steep water discount.

I don't think it was the clay. I would rebatch it.

i have never found oxides to give that kind of effect on my soaps. i also never superfat as high as yours in my 'normal' recipes (other than 100% co soap, and salt bars), so i can't vouch if that's the case.

I have a simple recipe of OO, palm kernel flakes and palm that I superfatted at 20% and it hardened just fine. I made it almost 2 months ago and you can't tell by the feel of the bar that it has such a high SF.

Latest posts

Back