Activated charcoal woes...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ech0s

Reaction score
1 tablespoon ppo for activated charcoal is leaving a huge mess. It's goregous to look at and the perfect color- but get that sucker wet and it's black smears and streaks dripping everywhere. Same when I combine 1 teaspoon ac with 1 teaspoon oxide. Has anyone found a good cp usage rate that still gives a rich colorant? Is there possibly another alternative? **forgive the smudges- needs to harden a bit more**
1000001981.jpg

The one time I tried, I used 2 tsp ppo and it still came out black, just not outer space black, and the wash off was gray but not outrageous.

Still, one piece of good advice I came across somewhere was to only use rich dark colors for a fraction of the soap, like a swirl or an embed, this way the amount that washes off is much less noticeable each time, but you still get to enjoy vivid colors.

When I make a solid black soap I use (ppo) 1/2 tsp AC and 1/4 tsp Wicked mica from Mad Micas. It makes a lovely rich black soap with minimal grey lather.
If I just want black as an accent color, I use Wicked by itself. It's seriously the best black mica I've ever used.

1 tablespoon ppo for activated charcoal is leaving a huge mess. It's goregous to look at and the perfect color- but get that sucker wet and it's black smears and streaks dripping everywhere. Same when I combine 1 teaspoon ac with 1 teaspoon oxide. Has anyone found a good cp usage rate that still gives a rich colorant? Is there possibly another alternative? **forgive the smudges- needs to harden a bit more**View attachment 74193

Holy 💩 that is some BLACK soap! Reminds me somewhat of my first forays into the world of indigo 😂

I used to buy the odd bar of charcoal soap & have noticed at least some darker lather with them. Never bothered me as it doesn't stain. I have an indigo one at the moment which I used a touch too much of that colorant in & the suds become tinged slightly blue, but nothing serious, so I don't worry about it. People still buy it, but I've learned to lighten up on that stuff, which is difficult because it never looks like enough 🤷‍♀️

REMOVED SUGGESTING TO BLACK OXIDE AS I SEEM TO HAVE SKIPPED OVER THAT PART....NEVAH MIND :)

Or what about less charcoal & add a bit of indigo powder - as opposed to an infusion - to darken things up? It can be VERY effective in doing that. I have actually managed to get black out of indigo in the past.

Last edited:
It's goregous to look at and the perfect color- View attachment 74193
Wow! When the page first loaded I thought there was some topping magically floating a few inches above a black table! Gives a science-fictiony look, like the gateway stones in 2001, a Space Odyssey, or some sort of 'chunk of midnight' thing. Very interesting, and gorgeous as you say. I've only made one batch so far with charcoal, a pumice soap where I was using the charcoal as a cleanser, not as a colorant, so I wasn't going for the midnight effect, and used The Nerdy Farm Wife's charcoal chart Charcoal in Soap: Usage Rates, Photos & Tips to get a dark bar with a minimal color in the suds. I went with one teaspoon PPO. This has only a light gray in the lather. Perhaps you could experiment with that much charcoal blended with the dark indigo as @QuasiQuadrant suggested.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 074755.png

Edited to correct formatting of the phrase 'The Nerdy Farm Wife'

Last edited:
Wow! When the page first loaded I thought there was some topping magically floating a few inches above a black table! Gives a science-fictiony look, like the gateway stones in 2001, a Space Odyssey, or some sort of 'chunk of midnight' thing. Very interesting, and gorgeous as you say. I've only made one batch so far with charcoal, a pumice soap where I was using the charcoal as a cleanser, not as a colorant, so I wasn't going for the midnight effect, and used The Nerdy Farmwife's charcoal chart Charcoal in Soap: Usage Rates, Photos & Tips to get a dark bar with a minimal color in the suds. I went with one teaspoon PPO. This has only a light gray in the lather. Perhaps you could experiment with that much charcoal blended with the dark indigo as @QuasiQuadrant suggested.
It's the only place I can take a photo when the hubs is alseep- it's the oven with the microwave light above it 🤣. The Nerdy Farmwifes chart is great- thank you!

I have a name for it....DARK MATTER 😂 Add a lighter swirl - which would really stand out against that black! - and it could become 'VENUTIAN VORTEX', although technically black is not the color of Venus, but you get my drift 😊

I play a lot with product names :rolleyes:

My local post office calls my boxes of supplies I order 'MORE DARK MATTER' when they come in 😁

@Ech0s I found a charcoal soap I bought a couple of years ago from a company which I was purchasing from before I started making soap again & tested it out as I had forgotten how it performed.

This one is very black as well. And I do mean BLACK. I had forgotten how dark it was.

The lather is very dark. I had forgotten about that too as it has been quite some time since I used this company's soap.

Nonetheless, it's a decent soap, even though it bleeds like crazy. It never stopped me from using it in the past, but for anyone who is fastidious about having a spotless sink 100% of the time, they might not like this.

Your soap looks beautiful, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have never found a soap which anyone makes that has a 100% positive rating. Everyone has their own likes & dislikes. If you're super concerned about it, I would still recommend cutting your charcoal back & using indigo as a booster to get a deep, rich black as the indigo bleeds far, far less, even when overused to the point that it will turn soap black :)

But it does depend on the indigo you're using as well. I find that Indigo Tinctora gives me a much more intense result than Indigo Naturalis.

Good luck :)

Immediately goes to Mad Micas and adds to cart 😂….
Thanks, @cerelife 🌸
Yes, thank you @cerelife and @dmcgee5034 for the positive reinforcement. I just bought Wicked Black and Space Walk and Zero Gravity and Star Bits and Into the Mystic because I need them all for my Deep Space soap.

Latest posts

Back