Quantcast

October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The only one that i could wall pour was the gray as it was nice and fluid. The other two with the td got to the point of squeezing the cup so it landed however it wanted lol. It might have made a nice hanger swirl, but i wanted to see how close i was with an actual shimmy, even though my batter didnt behave.

Gonna try again. I think i have the wall pour down. Just need to keep my batter thinner. I didnt even consider that the td was going to accelerate, even though i knew i shoulda thought of that lol.

Edit, kinda looks like a funnel. And my fo smells phenominal. Definitely a repurchase....Afternoon Tea by Nurture soaps
I really like that soap - colors and design. And I agree that you’ll probably have a good shimmy once you have fluid batter.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one that i could wall pour was the gray as it was nice and fluid. The other two with the td got to the point of squeezing the cup so it landed however it wanted lol. It might have made a nice hanger swirl, but i wanted to see how close i was with an actual shimmy, even though my batter didnt behave.

Gonna try again. I think i have the wall pour down. Just need to keep my batter thinner. I didnt even consider that the td was going to accelerate, even though i knew i shoulda thought of that lol.

Edit, kinda looks like a funnel. And my fo smells phenominal. Definitely a repurchase....Afternoon Tea by Nurture soaps
When I am pouring a Tall & Skinny - I never use TD because it always thickens up too quickly - I use a white mica instead. Lately I have been liking the "snow white" mica from Mad Micas. I also never use activated charcoal, if I want black, I use a black mica instead, because AC tends to thicken up too much also. I actually think your soap looks pretty - maybe not a perfect tall & skinny but definitely a lovely soap.

bookreader451

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@bookreader451 are you getting a zigzag through the middle or blobs that don't push into each other? (The first is caused by too thick batter, the latter by either a mold that's too wide or not enough elevation)
I don't know how to go much thinner. Maybe I didn't elevate it enough. I am using the Nurture TS mold.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to go much thinner. Maybe I didn't elevate it enough. I am using the Nurture TS mold.
I mostly hand stir....and wait....and wait.... That seems to be the ticket. More stick blending just accelerates the batter.

Peachy Clean Soap

Reaction score
I've used my Corrugated Plastic Mold for the 2nd time today. IMHO here are my Pros & Cons:
Pros: Inexpensive to make. Easy to un-mold soap. Clean up is fast. It lays flat for storage. Light weight. My CP soap turned out beautiful.
Cons: Not that easy to make (hubby made mine) I'm not good at measuring. I'm not sure on CPOP?. its plastic wouldn't want to try.
Bottom line yes Its Well Worth The 5.00 bucks If your crafty & fellow a youtube DIY video. You'll have a soap mold you can use over & over.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used my Corrugated Plastic Mold for the 2nd time today. IMHO here are my Pros & Cons:
Pros: Inexpensive to make. Easy to un-mold soap. Clean up is fast. It lays flat for storage. Light weight. My CP soap turned out beautiful.
Cons: Not that easy to make (hubby made mine) I'm not good at measuring. I'm not sure on CPOP?. its plastic wouldn't want to try.
Bottom line yes Its Well Worth The 5.00 bucks If your crafty & fellow a youtube DIY video. You'll have a soap mold you can use over & over.
I made and used mine 3 times before it bit the dust. Still worth it - I just made another. It was a great buy.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I am pouring a Tall & Skinny - I never use TD because it always thickens up too quickly - I use a white mica instead. Lately I have been liking the "snow white" mica from Mad Micas. I also never use activated charcoal, if I want black, I use a black mica instead, because AC tends to thicken up too much also. I actually think your soap looks pretty - maybe not a perfect tall & skinny but definitely a lovely soap.
Thank you 😊. Will post my next try soon

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try #3 is tucked in for the night. I thought it was more set up than it was when I moved it, so I hope I didn’t screw it up. I’m not at all sure There is a good shimmy going on in there, but if there is I’ll be mad at myself and wish I’d gotten out the hanger.

szaza

Reaction score
@Catscankim I'm glad you'll try again and can't wait to see the outcome!

@Louise Taylor if the batter is emulsified enough to divide into portions, there's no need to mix a lot anymore ;) just make sure it's really emulsified when you divide your batter. I dream in soap has a really great video about this. I'll attach it if/when I find it.

@tommysgirl I really hope you'll try again!

@KimW pouring at the lower wall will definitely help! ;)

@Peachy Clean Soap can't wait to see the results!

@bookreader451 hand stirring is indeed a good start for batter fluidity, but if your batter is already really fluid, that might not be the solution to your problem. How wide is your mold and how much do you elevate?

@Jackie Tobey I love the look of that one!! One of the reasons I like this technique is because the 'fails' also look stunning most of the time.

@dibbles knowing you I'm sure it'll be really pretty ;)

szaza

Reaction score
Since this challenge has already produced some really pretty non-shimmies, I thought it might be fun to have an un-shimmy entry thread to share pretty 'fails'. Or we could just keep them on this thread. Can I get some opinions on that? I understand if people don't feel comfortable sharing the soaps that didn't turn out how they wanted in an 'entry thread'. I just love seeing 'failed' pours of this technique because they're often just as pretty (or prettier) as the successful ones.

Peachy Clean Soap

Reaction score
Since this challenge has already produced some really pretty non-shimmies, I thought it might be fun to have an un-shimmy entry thread to share pretty 'fails'. Or we could just keep them on this thread. Can I get some opinions on that? I understand if people don't feel comfortable sharing the soaps that didn't turn out how they wanted in an 'entry thread'. I just love seeing 'failed' pours of this technique because they're often just as pretty (or prettier) as the successful ones.
I think its a great idea & to keep them on this thread.

Latest posts