October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all the oils and butters you list. I just hesitate to use my higher priced ingredients on multiple attempts. If I do make another attempt I might try the sunflower And some shea. Thanks for the advice.

I have all the oils and butters you list. I just hesitate to use my higher priced ingredients on multiple attempts. If I do make another attempt I might try the sunflower And some shea. Thanks for the advice.
I completely understand your hesitation to use pricy oils during test runs! Maybe I should've mentioned I generally only make +-300g oil batches, which makes it a bit easier. I get really nervous when the batch size increases to 600g+ :p

Thoughts?
Hi Kim, when you pour, are you pouring along the long side of the mold or the short side? Looking at your picture (if I understand what I'm looking at), it looks like you might be pouring on the short end. I had to go back and visit the example videos several times (and I haven't even made my soap yet), as every time I watch it I find an important detail that I missed previously. (like tilting the mold for each side poured... which may explain why my attempt 3 years ago didn't turn out).

Hi Kim, when you pour, are you pouring along the long side of the mold or the short side? Looking at your picture (if I understand what I'm looking at), it looks like you might be pouring on the short end. I had to go back and visit the example videos several times (and I haven't even made my soap yet), as every time I watch it I find an important detail that I missed previously. (like tilting the mold for each side poured... which may explain why my attempt 3 years ago didn't turn out).
Poured on the long side, but not in my tall mold. Just wanted to do a baby batch to test. :) I ended up with just 1.25 inches of batter in my 3 inch tall mold (I REALLY need to start doing my calculations by hand again - LOL), so the cut looks rather funny...

I have a 6" and and 8" tall skinny mold made from corrugated plastic. They are great and they don't need to be lined. I've been using mine since June and they are stil perfect.

I took a stab at my entry last night. The mystery FO was not well behaved in my recipe so I had to deal with ricing and accelerating. I did end up with a cool looking soap, but did not meet the criteria of the challenge. I don't know if I will have time to try again.

I took a stab at my entry last night. The mystery FO was not well behaved in my recipe so I had to deal with ricing and accelerating. I did end up with a cool looking soap, but did not meet the criteria of the challenge. I don't know if I will have time to try again.
I'm so sorry to hear your fo misbehaved.. But I'd love to see pictures!! ^^

I really don't like OO in my soaps at all, but the light OO is inexpensive at Costco and thus nice to use in a blend for repeated challenge attempts. That way, I don't use up all my precious leaf lard* in making soaps that will in all likelihood be donated after cure.

*says the lady with several gallons of lard in the fridge, and about 30lbs of leaf fat in the freezer waiting to be rendered. 🤣

My second challenge was better but, two of the colors are too close and you can't really see. I will have to stick with try one and go for fugly this month. I really don't want to go for a third attempt. I have some ideas floating for holiday presents that I want to get done.

I really don't like OO in my soaps at all, but the light OO is inexpensive at Costco and thus nice to use in a blend for repeated challenge attempts. That way, I don't use up all my precious leaf lard* in making soaps that will in all likelihood be donated after cure.

*says the lady with several gallons of lard in the fridge, and about 30lbs of leaf fat in the freezer waiting to be rendered. 🤣
I hate to derail this thread, so could you please message me with where you purchase your lards? :) I can't find lard with no additives/preservatives around here...

I saw a post on youtube how to make a corrugated plastic soap mold' I bought a sheet @ Home Depot for about 5.00 bucks' had my Hubby make a Tall & Skinny Sz Mold. I cant enter the challenge this month but thought I'd have a go at it for fun. I may of poured double on one side' (I hope not) ugh its easy to get confused, also my green & aquamarine colors morphed to shades of grey as it appears on top. but Im excited to cut it and see how it turned out. 🧼👍🏼

@Peachy Clean Soap if you keep posting, you might reach the minimum number of posts before the end of the month and be eligible to join. ;)

Also, greens are known for morphing during saponification, and then changing back. Hopefully you will have a pleasant surprise with both the color and the design!

@Peachy Clean Soap if you keep posting, you might reach the minimum number of posts before the end of the month and be eligible to join. ;)

Also, greens are known for morphing during saponification, and then changing back. Hopefully you will have a pleasant surprise with both the color and the design!
That would be great for the grays color morphing back to green & aqua blue wouldn't that be great! I keep peeking at it hoping it doesn't crack' I need to just leave it alone' lol. Thank you for your info appreciate it.

That would be great for the grays color morphing back to green & aqua blue wouldn't that be great! I keep peeking at it hoping it doesn't crack' I need to just leave it alone' lol. Thank you for your info appreciate it.
AliOop
Your right' on the top of soap the grey color is looking green again' its cooling down & no cracks! so far so good. 😉👍🏼🧼.

Here is a picture of my 1s shimmy design.

Soap design has no Shimmy' 🤣lol, don't know what I did wrong?. On a good note it doesn't have any soda ash' which has been a problem when ive switched from HP to CP soaping.

Edit. My computer just died. I couldnt post my msg
Hope you can get your computer up & running.

Attachments

• 185B6455-64B1-4D50-B335-8CA2AE968DAA.jpeg
    185B6455-64B1-4D50-B335-8CA2AE968DAA.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 45
  • B6DA84AE-7E64-40AE-850B-E4BF87A8F89C.jpeg
    B6DA84AE-7E64-40AE-850B-E4BF87A8F89C.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 39
Soap design has no Shimmy' 🤣lol, don't know what I did wrong?. On a good note it doesn't have any soda ash' which has been a problem when ive switched from HP to CP soaping.
I think you’re close and it’s a really pretty soap regardless! I haven’t even had the chance or the energy to try once yet. Got to get motivated but I’m having trouble. Been really tired lately. 😓

I think this is a great try! At the very least a fun looking soap, so good job!! 👏 I didn't sign up this month. I did give it a try but my batter was too thick and I just got pretty well defined blobs sitting next to each other lol. They aren't even pretty blobs. Just blobby 🥴

I keep coming back to this thread And watching the videos. I don’t think that I can make something that is slow moving enough, and I am slow moving myself :) so I am not going to enter. I might just try it anyway and see what happens. I will let you see if I have anything even reasonably presentable.

Back