October 2020 Challenge - Tall and Skinny Shimmy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Catscankim I'm glad you'll try again and can't wait to see the outcome!

@Louise Taylor if the batter is emulsified enough to divide into portions, there's no need to mix a lot anymore ;) just make sure it's really emulsified when you divide your batter. I dream in soap has a really great video about this. I'll attach it if/when I find it.

@tommysgirl I really hope you'll try again!

@KimW pouring at the lower wall will definitely help! ;)

@Peachy Clean Soap can't wait to see the results!

@bookreader451 hand stirring is indeed a good start for batter fluidity, but if your batter is already really fluid, that might not be the solution to your problem. How wide is your mold and how much do you elevate?

@Jackie Tobey I love the look of that one!! One of the reasons I like this technique is because the 'fails' also look stunning most of the time.

@dibbles knowing you I'm sure it'll be really pretty ;)

Since this challenge has already produced some really pretty non-shimmies, I thought it might be fun to have an un-shimmy entry thread to share pretty 'fails'. Or we could just keep them on this thread. Can I get some opinions on that? I understand if people don't feel comfortable sharing the soaps that didn't turn out how they wanted in an 'entry thread'. I just love seeing 'failed' pours of this technique because they're often just as pretty (or prettier) as the successful ones.

As promised here is take #2 🎬🎬 on my Shimmy Design. Though its not the Shimmy I was aiming for' it was fun trying.

So my first try was a flop as well. Will give it one more go then have to start back to work on a long stretch. Here is the result. Interesting looking but a no go. Batter got too thick on me as well. View attachment 50597
Love your vibrant colors. 👍🏼🧼

Since this challenge has already produced some really pretty non-shimmies, I thought it might be fun to have an un-shimmy entry thread to share pretty 'fails'. Or we could just keep them on this thread. Can I get some opinions on that? I understand if people don't feel comfortable sharing the soaps that didn't turn out how they wanted in an 'entry thread'. I just love seeing 'failed' pours of this technique because they're often just as pretty (or prettier) as the successful ones.
I think its a great idea & to keep them on this thread.

Attachments

• 41711395-B9D5-450A-8179-D809126AB9A6.jpeg
    41711395-B9D5-450A-8179-D809126AB9A6.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 32
That's beautiful soap @Peachy Clean Soap ! One more post and you can enter ;) remember that entry soaps should not be posted here, but in a separate thread that opens october 21st
Awwww Thank you so much so very sweet of you. I wont enter the Shimmy Challenge' but it was so fun trying. Im looking forward to seeing the entries, Its exciting. Ive been a HP Soaper & have little experience w/ colors and designs. Now that Ive switched to CP soaping I'm having fun learning' this Shimmy Design being my first to try.

@Peachy Clean Soap I love your color selection. It looks like you are very close to shimmying, too!
Awww Thank you & I Appreciate Your Input' 👍🏼😉🤗. This Shimmy design is tricky & I have no idea how the light green & white colors ended up on one side? lol 🤣😂 It wasn't supposed to be.

I think it looks great! 👍
I think it looks great! 👍
Thank you so much' 🤗🧼

I'm sorry you lost track of the pouring order @dibbles.. I hope you have time for another try, because I love seeing your soaps ;)
Thx so much 😉🤗

Last edited:
@Louise Taylor if the batter is emulsified enough to divide into portions, there's no need to mix a lot anymore ;) just make sure it's really emulsified when you divide your batter. I dream in soap has a really great video about this. I'll attach it if/when I find it.

Thank you :)

I like the idea! Even though I've already salted out all my thus far fails into laundry soap, I'm sure I'll have more to come. LOL!

I tried again today with more colors. I think the consistency of the batter was much better this go. I have discovered that if I distract myself by working on a making a small batch of melt and pour embeds while I wait for the lye solution and oils to cool down, I am more likely to successfully leave them alone and reach a workable temp. I lost track of my shimmy pouring order, though, so we will see what happens...🤪

Last edited:
Well, I thought I would take a stab at this last night, but after I had everything mixed up I realized I hadn't lined my mold, so the soap setup too much to pour. Although now I have a bit of freedom in choosing fragrance and color, so I'll make a small batch for myself (as hubby has used up almost all of the last personal soap batch that I made).

ETA: I knew I had a question to ask... I have a small 600g (oils) T&S mold but it bows a bit. Will the design be affected if I pour and then shore up the sides? Or should I rig up a box to put this in before I pour? Or am I overthinking... I've been known to do that.

I have a regular sized mold, and I cut up cardboard the length and width of my mold, but increased the height and voila...a tall and skinnier mold. I use costco small garbage liner (print on outside) to cover over the cardboard and in the mold. Yes, the wrinkle lines on final product are irritating, but I smooth those out after cutting the bars.

Mine didn't hold its shape' as i've noticed when cutting my 2nd try @ the Shimmy Design this morning.
For as far as I know, that's pretty much how it works, yes. Although having a skinny enough mold is also essential for a good shimmy (the batter has to push into each other to create the s-shape)

@Louise Taylor as promised:

@bookreader451 what are you using to elevate the side of your mold? Can you increase the elevation and/or use a skinnier mold?

Can't wait to see how it worked out @tommysgirl !

Love the result of that last try @KimW !
I think it looks like a psychedelic ghost swirl ;) as for the technique, how wide is your mold? It looks a bit wide for a ts mold, but maybe the batter just didn't come all the way to the top. It's easier to get a good shimmy with a very skinny mold.

Thanks for the tip @sunnysuds ! That's a great idea!

Uggghhh. I need more containers. Im still waing for my lye to cool, so its not yet an emergency. Im not used to making a batch bigger than my other molds.

I melted my hard fats. Added my soft oils....too much for my regular soaping bowl. So i switched to my big glass pampered chef mixing bowl. I know about the glass, its just gonna be this once. Its still too much. I havent added the lye solution yet, but i presume its gonna fill to the tippy top.

I foresee a big huge mess lol

I have not even made my first try yet. Tonight I will be packing some soaping supplies to bring with me so I can make it on my roadtrip. Hopefully I'll be able to get two or three of attempts in before the deadline. I leave in the morning & will be driving for 2 days, but I'll have time in the evenings. Everything else is already packed in the car & there's plenty of room for more.

Latest posts

Back