Oat milk in soap shelf life

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baileybars

Reaction score
Hi! I would like to add oats into a soap for dogs and was wondering if this would change the expiration date? I was thinking about adding homemade or shop bought oat milk rather than colloidal oats. Will this make the soap mould quicker or will it last as long as normal?
Thanks everyone ❤️

I strain the oat solids to concentrate the milk from oatmilk I've made at home but add ground oats (as close as I can get to colloidal oatmeal making it at home) and I've had no problem with it going off. I've had the soap for years.
If you do the split method and dissolve the lye in an equal weight in water then add the remaining "water" as milk to the oils rather than the lye and it won't go gluggy.

You can also use Oat Flour which will be closer to colloidal along with your oat milk. If you are using store purchased oat milk you do not have to strain it, I had the oat flour into my oils. With any milks I use the split method, since I do not dissolve anything in my lye solution.

Back