Not looking too good ATM.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tespring

Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to make soap the way that you add the hot lye to the oils to let them melt method (cannot remember the initials) and so far, it isn't looking too good. I have it in the oven right now waiting for it to harden up. Does anyone else use this method and can you tell me how it turns out for you? TYIA

I do that with soap that contains no brittle butters. It works fine, moves a little fast so be sure that you don't have any FO/EO that accelerates.

I don't put it in the oven as it's already red hot when I get it in the mold and to me nothing looks worse than over heated soap.

It is looking better now but I thought it was going to turn into a soap-tastrophies. It turned a burnt orange color partly from the FO and the orange mica that I put in it. This is such a strange color, kinda reminds me of a mixture of blood and homemade tomato sauce....

The first time I put it in, it leaked all over my oven, so I pulled it out to thicken it up and my stick blender flew apart and the attachment went into the soap, not thinking I put my hand down in it to get it out.

So, I put the other attachment on, that flew off too. I realized that I broke something off my stick blender and it flew on the floor. When it flew off, I picked up the blender and the attachment came off spraying the tomato blood soap all over my kitchen. AHHH! Fun Fun...next up, salt bars! lol
:lol:

Yes, tomato blood, lol a very crazy color. I will post a picture as soon as I cut it.

As an alternative maybe you should consider putting all your oils in a larger pot and the lye/water in a smaller, separate pot. Put the lye/water pot inside the oils pot and let it melt the oils that way. Once everything is the same temp, mix them together. You could also use this method to allow them to cool if you want....

I have not soaped that way as it seems a bit unpredictable. But I do use a room temp lye mixture and my oils are just warmed until melted... so usually only a bit above room temp. This time of year the oils are almost fully melted before I start.

I keep a SB handy but honestly when soaping that cool I find a hand whisk is much better than a SB and still plenty fast.

It is looking great today, it is a deep brick red color. I think I like it! :)

I don't think this type of process is for me unless I am using only very soft oils. I think that the problem was that the butter was not incorporating into the other oils even though it was already melted.

It was pretty greasy when I took it out but the oil has been absorbed. The top was spongy too but I added extra water when I realized that I had forgotten my milk addition so that was to be expected.

Back