Bubbles on the side of CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreativeWeirdo

Assume humorous intentions.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I've made 3 batches of CP with Oven Processing after, and they've all had these textures on the side once unmolding. I'm assuming they are air bubbles, but I might be wrong.

They've all been my normal soap recipe that usually come out nice and smooth on the sides. Greatest feeling! Only one of the 3 was a FO I hadn't used before.

The only difference from my normal method is the oven processing:
I pre-heat the oven to 200F and get the soap in the oven as soon as I pour it, and immediately turn the oven off. I don't open until cooled off the next day. (I usually soap in the evening, so it cools overnight.)

Has anyone else experienced this? I only thought, is that maybe I'm putting it in too soon after I pour, and maybe I should be waiting a bit. I suspect this because my latest batches accelerated quickly and the first layer was sitting in the mold longer than the others, and it had smooth sides.

The tops were dusted with gold mica so I'm not sure if the same texture is on the top of these, but they were on the very first one I OP'ed. The inside of the cut bars look fine to me! You've heard of the Hanger Swirl; meet the Spatula Swirl

If I've missed anything, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your help!

1673239729940.jpeg
1673239756554.jpeg

People tell you to leave it in the oven over night. I have found out that it really depends on your mold and the size of your mold. My mold I can leave in the oven for 3 hours. If I make it in the morning I can cut it that night. But I do have a small 2lb mold. I preheat my oven for 170 as that is the lowest it will go. It will take you time to figure out what is the right amount of time for you.

Hi all,

So, I've made 3 batches of CP with Oven Processing after, and they've all had these textures on the side once unmolding. I'm assuming they are air bubbles, but I might be wrong.

They've all been my normal soap recipe that usually come out nice and smooth on the sides. Greatest feeling! Only one of the 3 was a FO I hadn't used before.

The only difference from my normal method is the oven processing:
I pre-heat the oven to 200F and get the soap in the oven as soon as I pour it, and immediately turn the oven off. I don't open until cooled off the next day. (I usually soap in the evening, so it cools overnight.)
Very glad to find this post as I experienced this once & stopped putting my silicone molds in the oven. I had no idea what happened, but I ended up using a cloth & isopropyl to smooth it out & shine it up. Now I have my answer :)

I now put my molds in either a double insulated box with towels wrapped around the whole thing as well as around my molds, plus an electric blanket wrapped around all sides of the box (which shuts off after about 90 minutes), more blankets & a large sheepskin, then let sit 24 hours, which allows me to completely avoid this scenario. I have also started putting my molds in super-thick styrofoam coolers which my local pharmacy gives away at the end of every day. I fit them together end to end & then wrap around in order to fit my mold sizes. They're amazing, super strong, and free, and it's styrofoam being reused rather than discarded.

Back