Newbie with some questions :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oomoo

Reaction score
Hello there, I've been meaning to get on to this forum for some time, just as I have been meaning to give soap making a go for some time- which is why I'm here saying hi :D

I have never made soap before but have always tinkered with the idea. So I bought myself a lovely whizz bang book on the topic ("SOAP NATURALLY") and found myself a little nervous and lost hehe :oops: Should I start off with some simple rebatching ,seeing as though I'm just a novice? Or should I just get stuck straight into making soap from scratch? If so, do I pick Hot Process or Cold Process methods? I'd really love some advice/pointers from you smart and savvy soap making geniuses!

Thanks for reading :D Jo x

Hi!!

Hello! I am new here too.... I have been reading for quite some time and decided it was time to join.

I am also new to learning how to soap. I started a few years ago with MP and decided to give cold process a try. I made my first cold process batch about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was disappointed that I was going to have to wait 4-6 weeks for curing. So... then after poking around the internet, I learned about the hot process method. I have since made about 15 batches (in two weeks) of hot process. I am addicted.

I think hot process vs. cold process is really a personal preference and there are pro's and con's to each method. I think cold process looks much better but you have to use more fragrance / essential oil and wait a long time for it to cure. Hot process is great because it's ready right away (although I am letting my cure for a week - to be safe) and you use less fragrance oils BUT... it is not as attractive and much more difficult to swirl (in my INEXPERIENCED opinion).

I DID try one rebatch because I didn't like the way one of my batches came out. I am not thrilled with the result.... the soap is not as hard... but who knows if I even did it right! LOL.

I tried learning from a few books... didn't go well and I was very discouraged... found this forum and learned a few few things that helped me finally make successful batches.. the books are around somewhere - they are nice when looking for inspiration or a clever way to word something, but I suggest learning from the wonderful people here and not take everything the books say as a fact..

Have fun!! Welcome to the addiction :)

Thanks everyone! Thanks MicroDot (now THERE'S a term I haven't heard for many moons hehe :) ) ! Can't wait to get started and scout round the tutorials, thanks ever so much again to all :D xx

Hi and welcome to this addiction!

If you spend time reading and searching this site you'll find many wonderful words of wisdom.

I make soap using the CP method and have found great advice on here and share it on my website.

I think it's best to find a simple recipe and clear instructions on the order to do things. Document these and keep records of what you do and how it works out. This means keeping a check on your soaps over the next year or more and keeping notes of how it looks, smells feels etc.

Good luck ... and most importantly enjoy!

Latest posts

Back