Newbie here!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sboylan2012

Reaction score
Hi Soapers(sp?)! I'm new to soaping(have yet to make my first batch) and need a good starter recipe. I finally have everything I need(except ingredients) to start making soap, but I don't have any recipes! I found a few but I think they might be over my head. I really want to use lavender and I'm not sure about lard. I have done a lot of reading and you-tube video watching and I feel familiar with the process and I'm planning on going the hot-process route. I'm really just looking for a basic recipe. I found this:
66oz Lard
25oz Water
8.5oz lye

This seems off(due to only have lye mixture and lard) but is in the basic criteria that i'm looking for. I want to find everything I need in town so i don't have to order a ton online. I'm also not sure about a zap test and how it works and really confused when using any soapcalc(sp?). Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

I don't know where you are located, but our local Walmart stocks coconut oil, the New Crisco, which has palm, olive oil, lard, sunflower oil, and even Castor oil. Castor oil is found in the pharmacy section. You could try this recipe for a small batch to start with:

5% Castor oil
30% coconut oil
25% lard
40% oilve oil

Plug these percentages into SoapCalc next to the oils and click "calculate" and "view/print" to get the right amount of lye and water for 16 oz of oils.

http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

There is a good demo on this site of a zap test too. Look at the sticky's for a visual demo of a zap test. It is basically sticking your tongue to the soap and seeing if you taste soap or if you get a "zap" to your tongue - think of a static electricity jolt to your tongue.

How about a lovely castille recipe?

100% Olive oil

keep your Superfat at 5%

simple as pie! :)

THANKS!!! I'm really excited to have a nice group I can talk to about soap! ok, before i get started i have a few more questions,
Whats superfat mean?
Do i need to figure in my fragrance and additives when using soapcal?
When is it safe to add lavender buds?
How do i store my chemicals safely?
Once my hot process soap is in the mold, what do i do while i wait 24hrs? and should i wait longer? 48? 72?

Thanks so much for all the help!

Welcome Sboylan!
Keep the lavendar buds to sprinkle/press on top of your soap once in the mold. If you put it in your soap batter it will be scratchy and just turn brown anyways.
Store your lye in some place safe away from pets and children and keep it tightly sealed from moisture.
With hot process you should be able to unmold in 24 hrs or less. You don't need to do anything with your soap while you wait (other than try to contain your excitement and keep yourself from starting another batch - ask me why... LOL)

The best thing for you, or anyone that hasent done it, to do is grab a beverage and find a comfortable place to sit and just start reading the forum back to front. All your questions have been answered many times by many people. There is a ton of good information here, you will be surprised how much you can learn by reading past posts.

Back