Moisturizing recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quilter83

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe or thoughts on a really moisturizing soap? I’ve done both cold process and hot process. I think I’m looking for more of a hot process recipe. The last couple times I’ve used coconut oil and olive oil. I have quite a bit of lard from our hogs that we had butchered this summer.

Well..., soap is intended to be a cleansing agent, not particularly a moisturizing agent. That being said, some soaps strip more of one's natural oils than other soaps. Soaps with coconut oil above 20% leave my skin feeling very dry. I pretty much stick with SF of 5% and try to balance my oils in such a way as to have a conditioning factor of 55-60 (high end) and a cleansing factor of 12-14 (low end).
The following may make a nice bar of soap:
40% lard
20% coconut oil
35% olive oil
5% castor oil

Let us know how it goes.

Well..., soap is intended to be a cleansing agent, not particularly a moisturizing agent. That being said, some soaps strip more of one's natural oils than other soaps. Soaps with coconut oil above 20% leave my skin feeling very dry. I pretty much stick with SF of 5% and try to balance my oils in such a way as to have a conditioning factor of 55-60 (high end) and a cleansing factor of 12-14 (low end).
The following may make a nice bar of soap:
40% lard
20% coconut oil
35% olive oil
5% castor oil

Let us know how it goes.
Thank you I'm off of work and it's snowing good today. So I put this into the soap calc. and I'm giving it a try in my crockpot. I did change some of the olive oil to sweet almond oil.

Latest posts

Back