New to the forum, new to soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm Charlene and I am in the process of starting up my business The Wise Woman's Cottage...it was Twitchy Witch, but my mom hated the name LOL. At this point I am just making hand made jewelry and some witchy stuff, but I really want to add natural soaps and beauty items to my list. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading blogs about soaping for a while now and I am almost ready to try my first batch.

I have a couple of questions right off the bat that I am sure someone here can answer. =)

1. Say I am making CP, and I plan on blending my fragrance oils or essential oils for a custom scent, would it be possible to do a swirl where one color is one fragrance and another color is a different fragrance? Would that work with soap? I know it worked when I was making candles.

2. I see a lot of people using micas to color their soaps, I have a TON of Pearlx powder. Is that safe for soaping?

Other than that, I live in South Florida with my husband, my service dog, our pet dog, and several aquariums full of fresh water fish. I work as a bookkeeper but hope to get the business to a point where I won't have to work outside of the home any longer. I am disabled (duh, service dog) and working outside the house is difficult to say the least. I am hoping to pick all of your brains for as much information as you want to share...so..thanks for letting me join the forum and I look forward to learning.

Welcome.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can mix different scents in the different colored portions of the batter.

I am not familiar with PearlX powder. I suggest you look to your vendor about safe usage in what kinds of products.

Also look into Florida's regulations. I believe they used to be (and maybe still are) much stricter than our national standards for soap and cosmetics. So making any personal care products may be regulated differently for you than for some of us.

It will be a long time before your soap is ready for sale, but it's nice to have a plan for adding to your already existing line.

Edit: If it is this, then no.

From the MSDS for Pearl Ex Pigments:
In case of skin contact: Wash off with soap and plenty of water.
Doesn't sound skin safe to me.

Last edited:
Welcome Charlene :). If you have any questions re- soap, it's best to start a new thread, as this is the Intro thread, not specifically for soap questions.

Back