New Soap Lye Calculator, Oil and Soap Recipe Database

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thought-- on another thread, several of us apple users were looking for a soapmaking software (to track inventory, sales, and save recipes) that is compatible with apple. You could stand to make a load of money if you did that. I would be happy to be on your focus group to test it. And I would be happy if you let me have it for free for making the suggestion and "helping" you to develop it.

Thanks JayJay :D

Unfortunately I don't develop for Apple specifically; only for the web. Having said that, I intend to add costing functionality to Soapee to track oil costs and calculate price/bar.

Maybe for "water amount" add a lye:water option like soapcalc has available. Not necessary as you can use lye percent, but some people are used to and like that option.

Another thing I think would be cool is a function to discount total water for another additive. (Simple math really, but it would be a neat feature). For example, if I want to add coconut milk in a split method I would make my lye solution at 50% with water and add the rest of whatever my total is with coconut milk. I think there would have to be an option to either use a max lye concentration of 50% or input the weight of the water substitute additive that you would like to use. This is just me going off the deep end though :

Yup, I'll be adding a "water amount" as lye:water option very soon :D. Also, the water discount is a great idea.

Another note/request: would it be poss, for FO/EO amounts, to include a __ oz/ppo option? Not a hard thing to figure out yourself, of course, but many of us are used to this option.

Definitely :D!! I'll be adding that very soon.

One feature I'd like is the ability to more easily save my recipe locally. I keep an Evernote notebook of all my recipes, for long term note taking. Currently, I use the Evernote Chrome Extension to clip SoapCalc "View/Print Recipe" screen as an article into my Evernote notebook stack.

If you were to have the functionality to PRINT TO SCREEN that opens your print out into a new browser window instead of going straight into the print page printer-control window, I could continue to use that functionality. I believe this functionality would enable OneNote users to accomplish this same task.

Kudos on the work you've done!

I do like this. Its a lot simpler then soapcalc but still has most of the same features I'm used too. Can't wait to see it once its updated. The one thing I'd really like though is a printer friendly version, where you can just get the recipe and qualities without the list of oils and what not.
I use evernote to save my recipes and as soapee is right now, its incompatible with evernote. The page is too wide to be properly viewed in evernote.

Well done mcnazar!

I also like this new and somehow minimal calculator and I think I'll be using it from now on. I have a few comments from my first usage this morning:

1. The Stable property I guess is for Creamy in Soapcalc. But I think that this nice Soapee calc might needs to change the names of the properties -according to DeeAnna's messages- to a more logical ones and also add new name such as "Long Lasting" and not use the old ones that soapcalc has. See the thread here: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=383997#post383997. It is time to make better this section relying on DeeAnna's and others contribution.
  2. I really like the way someone can lookup/add an oil to a recipe, it is very fast but I don't like that when you print (to a pdf printer driver) or view my recipes the oils are sorted alphabetically. I had the oils sorted/added from the one that has the max % in the recipe to the least. I like to have this sorting all the time. It will be also very convenient to be able to sort the oils after someone adds them to the recipe (via arrows up/down or by drag an drop to re-order)
  3. I also think that when you want to start a new recipe you must close the webpage/tab and reopen the url in order to see a new blank recipe or else you will always see the last recipe that was developed. There should be a CREATE NEW button to avoid this.
  4. One final remark for now is that the sat : unsat value is wrong in comparison to soapcalc's values. It gives me 35 : 59 when soapcalc gives 41:59 and in another recipe it gives 47:48 instead of soapcalc's 50:50. The total needs to be 100. Might need to look up in the code for errors.
I also love the oils tab which is customizable and informative page when someone needs to design a recipe.

Thank you for contributing to the soaping community. I'll be waiting for the android version!

Nikos

ETA:
Also in my recipes it will be convenient to be able to delete a recipe, and also to add a small photo to it.

Last edited:
Well done mcnazar!

I also like this new and somehow minimal calculator and I think I'll be using it from now on. I have a few comments from my first usage this morning

Super thanks for the most excellent feedback! :D

I've added these as project tickets.

Also thank you for DeeAnne's post on oil properties. I should be able to add a longevity property in the next few minutes but the post also provides excellent information on calculating the other properties. I will be taking a closed look!

Oh man. I really like this. I love the idea of sharing any recipes that work out publicly in an easy access database.

I really liked it! A great resource. :thumbup: Thanks for making it available. I downloaded your oils; it is one of the most comprehensive lists I've seen and it is very easy to find what I'm looking for. Thanks again for sharing it. Awesome.

So so soooo excited! And i haven't even checked it out yet! But just based on everyone's comments i can't wait to calculate my next batch! Thank you for creating and sharing this with us!

Just wanted to say a big THANKS for this!!! I really like it!! And I really appreciate your dedicating all this time to create this and improve it! It 's great you do that...

Thanks again!!!

Also thank you for DeeAnne's post on oil properties. I should be able to add a longevity property in the next few minutes but the post also provides excellent information on calculating the other properties. I will be taking a closed look!

Quick update on this: I've added a longevity property to oils but it's taking me slightly longer than I expected as I decided to redo how oil properties are stored in the database. This also touches on why the saturated:unsaturated calculations are slightly off.

The next update should fix both.

Thanks JayJay :D

Unfortunately I don't develop for Apple specifically; only for the web. Having said that, I intend to add costing functionality to Soapee to track oil costs and calculate price/bar.

Yup, I'll be adding a "water amount" as lye:water option very soon :D. Also, the water discount is a great idea.

Definitely :D!! I'll be adding that very soon.

Wonderful. Will you let us know when you've done that?

I intend to add costing functionality to Soapee to track oil costs and calculate price/bar.

Hi JayJay,

Very sorry, I just noticed the emphasis from your post (I was a a bit swamped yesterday).

I'm still formulating how the pricing mechanism will work and already have a few implementation ideas.

Unfortunately I can't give an estimate yet but tentatively hope it will be released towards the end of August.

I'll post to this thread as soon as the feature becomes available!

I make quite a bit of liquid soap, and much prefer the 1:3 ratio of KOH to H2O. Any possibility of letting us set that ratio up?

By the way, I must tell you that I absolutely LOVE this lye calculator. Being able to set the lye purity is sheer genius! I can see all changes as I make them(without going to another screen), and I can save the recipe! This is going to be my go-to calculator from now on.

Hi JayJay,

Very sorry, I just noticed the emphasis from your post (I was a a bit swamped yesterday).

I'm still formulating how the pricing mechanism will work and already have a few implementation ideas.

Unfortunately I can't give an estimate yet but tentatively hope it will be released towards the end of August.

I'll post to this thread as soon as the feature becomes available!
Wonderful!!

Latest posts

Back