New Soap Lye Calculator, Oil and Soap Recipe Database

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make quite a bit of liquid soap, and much prefer the 1:3 ratio of KOH to H2O. Any possibility of letting us set that ratio up?

Hello Susie :D

I think that should be possible under "3 - Amount of water in recipe". Select the third option which lets you specify the water:lye ratio (I have it backwards in soapee).

Or did you mean that you would like to see that option as a default? If so, I am working on a feature that will save your last calculator setting between recipes for sections 1-5.

Hope this helps and sorry if I misunderstood; coffee hasn't kicked in yet :D

Ah, see, I ignored the wrong box! Thanks! This calculator really is wonderful! It has all the benefits of the others, with none of the drawbacks! And I can save and share recipes, and see other's shared recipes!

Having used it, I would say getting it to print on one page as much as possible, even with some notes, would be awesome.

Also, the ability to add in adjustments would be good. For example, when I add in CA I need to adjust the lye amount. At the moment that is a scribbled note on the printed recipe, whereas some method of manually changing the lye amount would be handy indeed.

New Soapee Update :D

Version 1.6 primarily introduces more social features. Work now starts on 1.7 which will concentrate on oil pricing and calculating soap bar prices.

Enhancements

* Added a Feed section which should show all latest public recipes, comments, user registrations and status updates
* Added Status Updates under the to right user menu -> My Status Updates. Initially these are only text but should be able to support image attachments soon. Users can comment on status updates.

Fixes

* Reset calculator after creating a recipe

Current outstanding feature requests can be seen here.

Please refresh or restart your browsers for the latest versions.

Ok, I just thought of something.

I have a "go to" base recipe that I really like. Is there any way I can make a template from one of those? That way I don't have to type the %'s each time and I can just make a copy of my existing "template" soap and make the changes (name, color, water amount, notes, ect.) and save it as a new recipe?

I just think this might be a great and useful feature!

Ok, I just thought of something.

I have a "go to" base recipe that I really like. Is there any way I can make a template from one of those? That way I don't have to type the %'s each time and I can just make a copy of my existing "template" soap and make the changes (name, color, water amount, notes, ect.) and save it as a new recipe?

I just think this might be a great and useful feature!

I think this is already there. If you go into edit your base recipe, make your changes, and then there is a save as copy button at the bottom.

I finally remembered to go check this out and I have to say I'm in love with this lye calc. It gives me everything I like about soapcalc, but is actually tablet friendly (soapcalc doesn't let me save anything) and allows me to save and share my recipes. Awesome, really awesome :)

I do have a couple of questions though

How do I add my profile pic? Can't find an option for that. And is the feed only created by comments on recipes?

TIA :)

ETA ignore my second question, I found the status update function LOL

Last edited:
I do have a couple of questions though

How do I add my profile pic? Can't find an option for that. And is the feed only created by comments on recipes?

TIA :)

ETA ignore my second question, I found the status update function LOL

Hi Gigi!!

I'll be adding image uploads shortly; these should work for recipes, status updates and profile pics.

The feed currently shows: comments on recipes and oils and status updates, new public recipes, new members and status updates... that's all I could think of for now but would _LOVE_ to hear any more suggestions :D

Hi Gigi!!

I'll be adding image uploads shortly; these should work for recipes, status updates and profile pics.

The feed currently shows: comments on recipes and oils and status updates, new public recipes, new members and status updates... that's all I could think of for now but would _LOVE_ to hear any more suggestions :D

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

I do have a suggestion - it would be great if there was a way to add images to a recipe (either an upload or an image link). This would help tremendously in keeping track of specifics regarding the recipe for future reference. I'm a visual person, so being able to add a photos would be awesome.

An example of my thinking would be: I have base recipe A, and each time I make it, I play with a different color or FO. The oils and size didn't change, but how I poured, colored, and or scented it did. I I could add a photo of each batch created using recipe A, with notes on that photo for things like date made, colorants, FOs, etc, that would be a tremendously useful tool.

I don't know if this is a useful suggestion that others would value, but I know it would interest me greatly. Especially if I could allow public viewing of the "recipe photo gallery" independently of allowing access to the recipe specifics.

Just tossing ideas out there :)

An example of my thinking would be: I have base recipe A, and each time I make it, I play with a different color or FO. The oils and size didn't change, but how I poured, colored, and or scented it did. I I could add a photo of each batch created using recipe A, with notes on that photo for things like date made, colorants, FOs, etc, that would be a tremendously useful tool.

Super thanks for the feedback :D

Early on I did toy with the idea of adding a journal feature to each recipe. The idea being that a user would be able to create multiple journal entries (a bit like status updates) for each recipe and be able to attach images.

To me this sounds very similar to your batch idea; each time a user makes a recipe, they can create a journal with photos etc... other users can then comment on each journal

Should I go ahead and add this feature? :D

Super thanks for the feedback :D

Early on I did toy with the idea of adding a journal feature to each recipe. The idea being that a user would be able to create multiple journal entries (a bit like status updates) for each recipe and be able to attach images.

To me this sounds very similar to your batch idea; each time a user makes a recipe, they can create a journal with photos etc... other users can then comment on each journal

Should I go ahead and add this feature? :D

I would if it were me LOL. I think it's an outstanding idea and would prove useful for any soaper :)

I think that a journal would be great, especially if we can download into a word or excel file. I would be cautious to have all of my notes in an online app only.

Back